- Woman slammed for trying to put UPS driver on blast Sunday 5:23 PM
- Twitter users are sharing which celebrities have blocked them Sunday 4:43 PM
- Conspiracy theorists are already taking advantage of Kobe Bryant’s death Sunday 4:14 PM
- Adam Driver returns to ‘SNL’ as Kylo Ren to reprise role in ‘Undercover Boss’ parody Sunday 3:46 PM
- White men are raging over ‘SNL’s’ white male rage skit Sunday 3:05 PM
- Kobe Bryant dead at 41 Sunday 2:24 PM
- Pete Buttigieg mocked over ‘staged’ walking photo Sunday 12:22 PM
- Louise Linton deletes pro-Greta Thunberg Instagram post Sunday 10:58 AM
- ‘Crip Camp’ shows how a radical summer camp was monumental to the disability rights movement Sunday 9:08 AM
- How to live stream the 2020 Grammy Awards Sunday 7:00 AM
- Technology created deepfakes—does it have a way to stop them, too? Sunday 6:30 AM
- SESTA-FOSTA is ‘detrimental’ to sex workers’ safety, study confirms Sunday 6:00 AM
- Jeff Bezos’ girlfriend allegedly sent his nudes to her brother, who then leaked them Saturday 6:38 PM
- This Instagram account catches influencers in the wild Saturday 5:42 PM
- The best upcoming video games to look out for in February 2020 Saturday 5:23 PM
Idris Elba toys with fans after latest James Bond casting rumor
Will he or won’t he?
The rumors first surfaced last week in the Daily Star, which reported that producer Barbara Broccoli reportedly told director Antoine Fuqua “it is time” for someone other than a white man to play James Bond. Fuqua noted, according to the source, that “you need a guy with physically strong presence” for the role and indicated that Elba had that kind of presence.
A representative for Fuqua later denied talking to Broccoli about the James Bond franchise, but the rumors persisted as fans imagined (once again) the possibility of Elba taking over the role.
Elba, who’s had to answer for James Bond casting rumors for the past decade now, took to Twitter on Sunday to address the rumors once again. He starts off with an acknowledgment and a play on names but then appears to backtrack on any kind of inferred confirmation.
my name’s Elba, Idris Elba. pic.twitter.com/kEyyaVg8JX— Idris Elba (@idriselba) August 12, 2018
Don’t believe the HYPE...— Idris Elba (@idriselba) August 12, 2018
So will he be the next James Bond? Who even knows at this point; we’re still even a ways off from seeing Craig portray James Bond for the last time in the untitled Bond 25. But it won’t stop any of the speculations that Elba may one day take up 007’s iconic mantle from reemerging from time to time.
Though for what it’s worth, Elba has said he’d love to see a woman play James Bond.
H/T Vanity Fair
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.