- New bill wants tech companies to tell you how much your data is worth 5 Years Ago
- AOC has the best response to Steve King’s ‘concentration camp’ criticism Today 10:19 AM
- Did Jake Paul and Tana Mongeau just get engaged? Today 9:26 AM
- Leaked documents reveal all the ‘red flags’ about Trump officials Today 9:02 AM
- Elon Musk, who wants to colonize space, thought the moon was Mars Today 8:56 AM
- How to watch ‘Legion’ for free Today 8:46 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Bolívar’ reduces hero’s tale to irredeemable melodrama Today 8:18 AM
- How to watch the U.S. vs. Spain at the World Cup for free Today 7:55 AM
- How to watch ‘The Hills: New Beginnings’ for free Today 7:40 AM
- Inside the pornographic video game that took Kickstarter by storm Today 7:00 AM
- Why everyone wants to debate AOC, and no one wants to debate Ilhan Omar Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Trvl Channel online for free Today 5:30 AM
- Are we going to get a ‘Community’ movie on Netflix? Sunday 2:46 PM
- Kmitting social network bans all posts supporting Trump and his administration Sunday 2:07 PM
- YouTube is testing hiding its comments section Sunday 1:23 PM
Constantine and Castiel fans square off over ‘Hellblazer’s angelic fashion
Supernatura fans are outraged that the new Hellblazer show has ‘ripped off’ their beloved Castiel.
The first official image from NBC’s TV adaptation of the Hellblazer comics has just been posted online, and would you believe it: John Constantine looks suspiciously similar to Supernatural’s Castiel.
Of course, any similarities between Castiel and Constantine are probably because Supernatural creator Eric Kripke based Castiel’s trenchcoat-and-tie look off Constantine’s iconic outfit,. But that isn’t stopping plenty of Supernatural fans from being outraged that a new occult-themed TV pilot seems to be ripping off their beloved show.
Obviously the new Constantine guy gets his fashion advice from Castiel. pic.twitter.com/R7pPwR8a3E”
— Kat (@FiercelyNormal) March 13, 2014
the new Constantine guy dresses like Castiel #WeNeedMisha
— Carli B. (@bilrac) March 13, 2014
— Chris Da 10Key Killa (@ChrisOfGravyAge) March 13, 2014
This is all leading to what basically amounts to Fake Geek Girl backlash from smug Hellblazer fans who are horrified by the fact that some Supernatural fans have never heard of John Constantine.
If we ever get that Hellblazer tv show, I am already dreading the fangirls who will whine about how Constantine ‘stole Castiel’s look’.
— Susan the Stupendous (@ApplepieNinja) March 12, 2014
Much as I love Castiel, I am fully prepared ahead of time to go apeshit on anyone complaining John Constantine is “ripping off his look”.
— Clint Wolf (@doctorfeh) March 13, 2014
Bet you five bucks all the naive Supernatural fans will be like Constantine ripped off Castiel’s look. *prepares the facepalms*
— Jackie (@Snikette) March 13, 2014
Look, we get it. Hellblazer has considerably more nerd credibility than Supernatural, and has been around for a lot longer. But that doesn’t mean that every Castiel fangirl on Twitter is a total idiot. Hellblazer isn’t actually mandatory reading, and you don’t see Wim Wenders fans freaking out over Castiel’s (equally noticeable) similarities with the angels in Wings of Desire.
Basically, Hellblazer fans need to chill out, and Supernatural fans need to come to terms with the fact that no matter how awesome their show is, it’s pretty derivative. As in, almost fanfic levels of derivative.
Quite apart from the fact that Supernatural is a horror pastiche series with more than its fair share of Bible references, Sam and Dean Winchester were based on Sal and Dean from Jack Kerouac’s On The Road. Meaning that the original inspiration for Dean Winchester was bisexual. Just ponder that one for a while, instead.
Photo via hi-im-tate-imdead-wannahookup/Tumblr
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor