- People are roasting this ‘traditional’ take on marriage with a hilarious meme Saturday 5:17 PM
- The internet just collectively realized that the Neopets of the world must be hungry Saturday 4:00 PM
- Alt-right message board 8chan was served a search warrant Saturday 3:06 PM
- O.J. Simpson just joined Twitter in the most bizarre fashion Saturday 1:20 PM
- Prominent phone-hacking firm says it can unlock any iPhone for law enforcement Saturday 12:39 PM
- Hundreds of police officers belong to extremist Facebook groups, investigation finds Saturday 9:31 AM
- How to watch Tyson Fury vs. Tom Schwarz online Saturday 8:00 AM
- ‘Late Night’ is a disappointing, tepid comedy Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Love It or List It’ for free Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup online for free Saturday 6:55 AM
- Borderlands 3 preview suggests the aging series can still hang with the cool kids Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to stream the 2019 College World Series for free Saturday 6:00 AM
- Police try to solve domestic violence by giving victims blunt kitchen knives Friday 5:40 PM
- Privacy activist Ola Bini detained for 2 months in Ecuador without charges Friday 5:01 PM
- Twitter says suspending ‘God’ for a pro-LGBTQ tweet was an ‘error’ Friday 4:14 PM
Dick Cheney’s daughter fires back at Christian Bale’s ‘Satan’ comment
After actor Christian Bale referenced former Vice President Dick Cheney as “Satan” in his Golden Globes acceptance speech last night, Cheney’s daughter Liz responded on Twitter. She also brought up an allegation of domestic abuse against Bale that was eventually dismissed.
Satan probably inspired him to do this, too. Christian Bale arrested for 'assault on mother and sister'| The Independent. https://t.co/kesnNno9Zv
— Liz Cheney (@Liz_Cheney) January 7, 2019
“Thank you to …Satan…for giving me inspiration on how to play this role,” Bale said after winning “Best Actor in Film, Comedy, or Musical” for playing Cheney in Vice.
The line drew laughter and applause from the audience, as Cheney was instrumental in the U.S. going to war in Iraq and in instituting the torture of detainees. Many on Twitter also loved the comment, including the Church of Satan because, obviously.
Christian Bale just thanked "Satan, for the inspiration" during his acceptance speech for playing Dick Cheney in 'Vice' and I am DED #GoldenGlobes
— shauna (@goldengateblond) January 7, 2019
To us, Satan is a symbol of pride, liberty and individualism, and it serves as an external metaphorical projection of our highest personal potential. As Mr. Bale's own talent and skill won him the award, this is fitting. Hail Christian! Hail Satan! https://t.co/ILuK8TFZXi
— The Church Of Satan (@ChurchofSatan) January 7, 2019
Christian Bale just thanked Satan for giving him the inspiration to play Dick Cheney and then blasted Mitch McConnell. I love 2019!
— Ryan Knight ☘️ (@ProudResister) January 7, 2019
Soon after, Liz Cheney tweeted, “Satan probably inspired him to do this, too. Christian Bale arrested for ‘assault on mother and sister.'” She was referencing the 2008 incident for which Bale was arrested following an alleged family fight, but the charges were eventually dismissed.
Her “don’t throw stones” retort was met with an intense backlash by people who simply hate her father, however.
Your father presided over the killing of more than 500,000 Iraqis & decimated their cultural centers. He sent our men in uniform to their deaths. He orchestrated the whole thing, then he destroyed innumerable documents before leaving office. Only the most evil have done more.
— IntellitexanAgainstBorderInsanity (@IntelliTexan) January 7, 2019
Your father's a war criminal 😉
— Greg Bennett (@GreggyBennett) January 7, 2019
Your father killed millions of people.
— ᴘᴀᴛʀɪᴋ sᴀɴᴅʙᴇʀɢ (@PatrikSandberg) January 7, 2019
Oh Liz…the charges were dropped. Let’s look into laws broken in the Cheney fam
— MrsFriedman 🌊✌️🌎 🇺🇸 (@ReneFriedman9) January 7, 2019
Classic GOP move send an article with a damning headline but doesn’t read the article to see that it’s much ado. A political strategy that is dependent on skimming the surface is ultimately doomed to unravel. Also your dad is a self serving monster.
— Patrick Barrett (@PatrickWBarrett) January 7, 2019
Well at least he didn't assault an entire country (Iraq) and then lie to Congress about why it should be assaulted.
— Elizabeth Burke 🌊 (@BurkesLawNYC) January 7, 2019
Vice, released in December, covers Cheney’s role in the Iraq War but also humanizes him as a father trying to come to terms with his daughter Mary Cheney being gay. Liz and Mary had been in the public eye for their disagreement on the issue of same-sex marriage, which was reportedly a crucial factor in Liz’s run for U.S. Senate for 2014. She eventually dropped out, but people remember her selling her sister out on the issue of same-sex marriage. And many responding on Twitter reminded her of that.
What you did to Mary doesn't give you any ground to stand on.
— Lance Copegog (@Lance_Copegog) January 7, 2019
Go give your sister Mary a hug. That’s more important than your failure response to the man.
— Esmer622 (@Esmer622) January 7, 2019
you sold out your sister lol
— JEFFRAIDER (@Jeffm8r) January 7, 2019
Liz did have support from other conservatives though, who were, of course, also unhappy about the Satan reference.
Samira Sadeque is a New York-based journalist reporting on immigration, sexual violence, and mental health, and will sometimes write about memes and dinosaurs too. Her work also appears in Reuters, NPR, and NBC among other publications. She graduated from Columbia Journalism School, and her work has been nominated for SAJA awards. Follow: @Samideque