- Trump accuses Jewish Democrats of having ‘great disloyalty’ or a ‘lack of knowledge’ Tuesday 8:02 PM
- 1 million ‘anonymous’ users of popular porn site exposed in breach Tuesday 6:56 PM
- Khloé Kardashian angers followers with a calorie-counting joke about True Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Spider-Man may no longer be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe Tuesday 5:28 PM
- Robert De Niro’s company is suing ex-employee for binge-watching Netflix at work Tuesday 4:41 PM
- Intentionally misgendering a character could get you banned from Borderlands 3 Tuesday 4:06 PM
- Facebook pulls Trump re-election ad for targeting ‘strong women’ Tuesday 4:03 PM
- Kamala Harris says she will restore net neutrality if elected Tuesday 3:16 PM
- All 8 of the ‘Rocky’ movies, ranked Tuesday 2:50 PM
- Everything you need to know about the Facebook conservative bias report Tuesday 2:35 PM
- Study links emoji use to more sex Tuesday 2:10 PM
- The chicken sandwich war is in full throttle on Twitter Tuesday 1:47 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Sextuplets’ proves Marlon Wayans is no Eddie Murphy—or even Mike Myers Tuesday 1:31 PM
- Facebook is finally rolling out its clear history tool Tuesday 1:13 PM
- ‘Theater etiquette’ tweets surge after YouTuber cast in ‘Waitress’ Tuesday 12:55 PM
The United Kingdom’s 2016 Cyber Security Breaches Survey, published released this month, reveals that 65 percent of large business detected a cybersecurity breach or attack in the past year, with a quarter of those affected businesses experiencing a breach at least once per month. (The survey defined “large business” as one with at least 250 employees.)
The average cost of a data breach to a large business was €36,500 (about $41,546), while the most costly breach identified cost €3 million ($3,413,850). More than two-thirds of breaches (68 percent) occurred in the form of viruses, spyware, and malware, while the remaining 32 percent began when an intruder impersonated an employee.
U.K. businesses are hampered in their cyberattack prevention by a lack of understanding of the proper risk-management and risk-detection practices. Just 51 percent of all businesses surveyed tried to identify cybersecurity risks in advance, and while more than nine in 10 large businesses performed these checks, they often fell short of industry standards.
The financial sector spent the most on cybersecurity over the course of the period covered by the survey, followed by communications companies and utilities, real-estate firms, and retail and transportation companies.
The U.K. Department of Culture, Media and Sport conducted the data-breach survey by calling 1,008 British businesses between Nov. 30, 2015, and Feb. 5, 2016. It followed up with 30 in-depth interviews conducted between January and February.
John-Michael Bond is a tech reporter and culture writer for Daily Dot. A longtime cord-cutter and early adopter, he's an expert on streaming services (Hulu with Live TV), devices (Roku, Amazon Fire), and anime. A former staff writer for TUAW, he's knowledgeable on all things Apple and Android. You can also also find him regularly performing standup comedy in Los Angeles.