- Majority of threats made since El Paso and Dayton shootings have been made online Thursday 8:00 PM
- Miley Cyrus tweets about cheating allegations and penis cake drama Thursday 6:32 PM
- ‘The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance’ dazzles with a timely tale Thursday 6:00 PM
- The DOJ emailed a white nationalist blog post to immigration judges Thursday 5:31 PM
- The Amazon rainforest is on fire–and people are using memes to cope Thursday 4:11 PM
- Microsoft contractors listened in on Xbox users Thursday 2:15 PM
- Anti-vaxxer assaults pro-vaccine lawmaker on Facebook Live (updated) Thursday 2:15 PM
- Oreos licked by singer Lewis Capaldi are being auctioned off on eBay Thursday 1:54 PM
- Zach Braff predicted Sean Spicer would be on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ 2 years ago Thursday 1:38 PM
- NYPD sergeant who watched Eric Garner die punished with lost vacation days Thursday 1:27 PM
- Brie Larson haters have a meltdown over a joke about Thor’s hammer Thursday 1:26 PM
- This comedian attempted to make fun of women on Twitter—and it did not go over well Thursday 1:04 PM
- Logan Paul wants to help the Amazon rainforest Thursday 12:36 PM
- Nutaku announces redesign and filters for LGBTQ porn games (updated) Thursday 12:25 PM
- This video of dozens of inflatable mattresses taking off in the wind is perfect Thursday 12:20 PM
Real women share horrifying stories about their first period
The first time you got your period is like the first time you have sex: awkward, painful, and ending with your sheets looking like a Dexter crime scene. But even though it was terrible, you remember it with a tinge of fondness, because it marked the first time you became a woman.
To commemorate the wonder that is the human menstrual cycle, the ladies’ intimates company Dear Kate got more than 20 women to come in and reminisce about the first time they got their periods. Some were happy about it; others, not so much. (Even if you’re a menstruation veteran, the part where they talk about the color and consistency of their first cycles is particularly cringe-worthy.)
But either way, everyone can pretty much agree on the sentiment expressed by one woman in the video: “I still hate my period, but it’s a part of me.”
Happy perioding, ladies. Let’s go out there and bleed all over our chairs with smiles on our faces, like the goddamn rock stars that we are.
Screengrab via DearKate/YouTube
EJ Dickson is a writer and editor who primarily covers sex, dating, and relationships, with a special focus on the intersection of intimacy and technology. She served as the Daily Dot’s IRL editor from January 2014 to July 2015. Her work has since appeared in the New York Times, Rolling Stone, Mic, Bustle, Romper, and Men’s Health.