- Game developer Chucklefish accused of whitewashing characters of color Monday 5:22 PM
- Apple TV’s ‘Hala’ is a silent explosion of a coming-of-age film Monday 5:20 PM
- This new video game apparently lets you play Jesus Monday 4:02 PM
- Golden toilet creator sells world’s most expensive banana—only for another artist to eat it Monday 3:24 PM
- This new Chinese video game lets players attack Hong Kong protesters Monday 3:05 PM
- These TikTok videos that recreate NPC interactions from Skyrim are honestly incredible Monday 2:40 PM
- John Legend defends pro-consent ‘Baby It’s Cold Outside’ lyrics Monday 2:38 PM
- Video shows UC Berkeley student using racial slurs, making homophobic comments Monday 2:36 PM
- New video reveals Brother Nature instigated sandwich shop fight Monday 2:06 PM
- Lizzo’s thong dress breaks the internet Monday 1:25 PM
- Pixel Buds 2 or Apple AirPods 2: Which are right for you? Monday 1:09 PM
- It’s 2019: Make your holiday cards online, for free this year Monday 12:47 PM
- Fighting over the ‘Marriage Story’ fight scene becomes a meme Monday 12:41 PM
- ‘Trump is innocent!’: InfoWars correspondent interrupts impeachment hearing Monday 12:12 PM
- Video shows runner smacking reporter’s butt on live TV Monday 11:46 AM
Real women share horrifying stories about their first period
The first time you got your period is like the first time you have sex: awkward, painful, and ending with your sheets looking like a Dexter crime scene. But even though it was terrible, you remember it with a tinge of fondness, because it marked the first time you became a woman.
To commemorate the wonder that is the human menstrual cycle, the ladies’ intimates company Dear Kate got more than 20 women to come in and reminisce about the first time they got their periods. Some were happy about it; others, not so much. (Even if you’re a menstruation veteran, the part where they talk about the color and consistency of their first cycles is particularly cringe-worthy.)
But either way, everyone can pretty much agree on the sentiment expressed by one woman in the video: “I still hate my period, but it’s a part of me.”
Happy perioding, ladies. Let’s go out there and bleed all over our chairs with smiles on our faces, like the goddamn rock stars that we are.
Screengrab via DearKate/YouTube
EJ Dickson is a writer and editor who primarily covers sex, dating, and relationships, with a special focus on the intersection of intimacy and technology. She served as the Daily Dot’s IRL editor from January 2014 to July 2015. Her work has since appeared in the New York Times, Rolling Stone, Mic, Bustle, Romper, and Men’s Health.