- Trump accuses Jewish Democrats of having ‘great disloyalty’ or a ‘lack of knowledge’ Tuesday 8:02 PM
- 1 million ‘anonymous’ users of popular porn site exposed in breach Tuesday 6:56 PM
- Khloé Kardashian angers followers with a calorie-counting joke about True Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Spider-Man may no longer be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe Tuesday 5:28 PM
- Robert De Niro’s company is suing ex-employee for binge-watching Netflix at work Tuesday 4:41 PM
- Intentionally misgendering a character could get you banned from Borderlands 3 Tuesday 4:06 PM
- Facebook pulls Trump re-election ad for targeting ‘strong women’ Tuesday 4:03 PM
- Kamala Harris says she will restore net neutrality if elected Tuesday 3:16 PM
- All 8 of the ‘Rocky’ movies, ranked Tuesday 2:50 PM
- Everything you need to know about the Facebook conservative bias report Tuesday 2:35 PM
- Study links emoji use to more sex Tuesday 2:10 PM
- The chicken sandwich war is in full throttle on Twitter Tuesday 1:47 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Sextuplets’ proves Marlon Wayans is no Eddie Murphy—or even Mike Myers Tuesday 1:31 PM
- Facebook is finally rolling out its clear history tool Tuesday 1:13 PM
- ‘Theater etiquette’ tweets surge after YouTuber cast in ‘Waitress’ Tuesday 12:55 PM
The future (of heteronormative marriage proposals) is female!
During a Grand Rapids Griffins hockey game in Grand Rapids, Michigan, Griffins fans bore witness to a sight not commonly seen—a woman asking a man for his hand in marriage.
Video of the proposal, which was uploaded to the team’s YouTube account on Thursday, shows a woman and her boyfriend turning toward each other during a kiss cam shot, followed by a written message on the screen. “Anthony will you marry me?” it asks.
Flash back to the woman popping out a ring box and getting out of her seat to kneel in front of him, while her boyfriend is still staring up at the screen in a stupor. We can’t see his face, but he leans toward her and gives her a kiss as the crowd cheers. A second camera angle shows him pumping his first.
“We may have just seen a first here… When I say we had a proposal in the building, that’s certainly not the first,” a commentator says over the footage. “It was the gal asking the guy.”
“Yeah, I’ve never seen that here, to be honest with you,” a second commentator replies.
According to an account that’s commented on the video, the woman who led the proposal is Katelyn Bowman. She commented explaining why she proposed to him instead of keeping the proposal traditionally patriarchal.
“I am the woman in the video.. our relationship has been over the course of almost seven years and he proposed after our third year and had a break up going into our sixth year,” Bowman wrote. “I proposed this time showing him I know he is the one for me and I want to spend the rest of my life with him. Keep negative comments to yourself please, thank you! Have a blessed [day.]”
Watch the full video of the proposal below:
Samantha Grasso is a former IRL staff writer for the Daily Dot with a reporting emphasis on immigration. Her work has appeared on Los Angeles Magazine, Death And Taxes, Revelist, Texts From Last Night, Austin Monthly, and she has previously contributed to Texas Monthly.