- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
- Why Britons are tweeting ‘Little England’ in wake of the U.K. election Friday 3:22 PM
- Net neutrality advocates ask for rehearing on federal court decision Friday 2:29 PM
- Americans are sharing their #PrivateHealthLIFEhacks to help Brits Friday 2:28 PM
- Warren, Sanders, Yang pledge to skip next week’s debate over union dispute Friday 2:12 PM
- How to watch tonight’s Nets vs. Raptors matchup on NBA TV Friday 2:00 PM
- Alt-right comedian Owen Benjamin banned from Instagram over anti-Semitic memes Friday 1:55 PM
- TikTok teens are procrastinating with #FinalsWeek Friday 1:46 PM
- ‘The Mandalorian’ takes on a prison break in episode 6 Friday 1:30 PM
- Nick Cannon vs. Eminem battle expected to escalate after ‘off-limits’ daughter diss Friday 12:50 PM
- Laura Loomer vehemently denies being author of new Laura Loomer-themed action novel Friday 12:30 PM
- PewDiePie’s poop-inspired game gets banned by Apple Friday 11:29 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ showrunners to adapt ‘Lovecraft’ graphic novel to screen Friday 11:00 AM
- The 50 memes that defined the decade Friday 10:45 AM
- Venmo users are getting harassed with fraudulent payment requests Friday 10:38 AM
The future (of heteronormative marriage proposals) is female!
During a Grand Rapids Griffins hockey game in Grand Rapids, Michigan, Griffins fans bore witness to a sight not commonly seen—a woman asking a man for his hand in marriage.
Video of the proposal, which was uploaded to the team’s YouTube account on Thursday, shows a woman and her boyfriend turning toward each other during a kiss cam shot, followed by a written message on the screen. “Anthony will you marry me?” it asks.
Flash back to the woman popping out a ring box and getting out of her seat to kneel in front of him, while her boyfriend is still staring up at the screen in a stupor. We can’t see his face, but he leans toward her and gives her a kiss as the crowd cheers. A second camera angle shows him pumping his first.
“We may have just seen a first here… When I say we had a proposal in the building, that’s certainly not the first,” a commentator says over the footage. “It was the gal asking the guy.”
“Yeah, I’ve never seen that here, to be honest with you,” a second commentator replies.
According to an account that’s commented on the video, the woman who led the proposal is Katelyn Bowman. She commented explaining why she proposed to him instead of keeping the proposal traditionally patriarchal.
“I am the woman in the video.. our relationship has been over the course of almost seven years and he proposed after our third year and had a break up going into our sixth year,” Bowman wrote. “I proposed this time showing him I know he is the one for me and I want to spend the rest of my life with him. Keep negative comments to yourself please, thank you! Have a blessed [day.]”
Watch the full video of the proposal below:
Samantha Grasso is a former IRL staff writer for the Daily Dot with a reporting emphasis on immigration. Her work has appeared on Los Angeles Magazine, Death And Taxes, Revelist, Texts From Last Night, Austin Monthly, and she has previously contributed to Texas Monthly.