- Who is Corn Pop? Here are all the theories about the gang leader from Joe Biden’s past Sunday 4:37 PM
- Fresh sexual misconduct allegations against Kavanaugh spur calls for impeachment Sunday 3:28 PM
- Mike Pence says a triple crown winning racehorse bit him Sunday 12:51 PM
- Disney CEO Bob Iger leaves Apple board amid streaming wars Sunday 12:01 PM
- Influencer Destiny Marquez faces backlash for berating Forever 21 employee Sunday 10:32 AM
- Chelsea Handler tackles system racism in ‘Hello Privilege. It’s Me, Chelsea’ Sunday 9:18 AM
- Gun control proposal: Trump, lawmakers considering background check-conducting app Sunday 9:05 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Jets on Monday Night Football Sunday 7:00 AM
- What are anons? Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to stream Eagles vs. Falcons on Sunday Night Football Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 4 Sunday 5:00 AM
- How to stream WWE’s Clash of Champions 2019 Saturday 8:00 PM
- How ‘F*ck off Scotland’ became a Scottish rallying cry amid Brexit madness Saturday 6:28 PM
- A Missouri officer resigned after his Islamophobic Facebook posts surfaced Saturday 5:08 PM
- Adding ‘Triggered’ to stock photos of white men creates Netflix comedy special thumbnails Saturday 3:10 PM
A white man was arrested and charged with “ethnic intimidation, communicating threats, disorderly conduct and going armed to the terror of the public” after threatening a Black man with a gun at a polling station in Charlotte, North Carolina.
Derek Partee, a retired homicide detective from New York and GOP vice chairman for the state’s 12th Congressional District, posted photos to Facebook on Wednesday of three white people dressed in black shirts with white skulls standing in a parking lot.
According to Partee’s post, he was volunteering at the polls in the neighborhood of Steele Creek when the group had called him the N-word and a “Black piece of shit.” Partee wrote that one of the men exposed his weapon to him, so he backed off and called the police.
Down here in Steele Creek working the polls just threatened by two white males in a white female who called me a Nigger,...Posted by Derek L Partee on Wednesday, October 24, 2018
As the Root points out, Partee’s phone call to the police is a refreshing change to months of viral videos that catch white people calling the cops on Black people totally minding their business. Partee, however, didn’t just pick up the phone because he saw someone sitting in their car across the street.
According to the News & Observer, Partee was told shortly after arriving at the polling place that the three people in the parking lot had been taking photos and were at the site previously. He then decided to take down the license plate of the car. At that point, the man who was later arrested, Jason Donald Wayne, got out of the car and confronted Partee.
“He said something about being a Republican, I said I am a Republican, he said ‘Motherfucker you ain’t shit,'” Partee told the publication. “They didn’t care whether I was a Democrat or a Republican, they just cared that I was Black.”
That’s when Wayne exposed his weapon to Partee. The publication reported that it was “unclear” what type of gun was in Wayne’s holster at the time of the incident. Hours later, Wayne was found in possession of a BB gun in his holster when he was arrested by the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department. According to WSOC-TV, police and FBI are also considering whether federal charges are “appropriate.”
- Why this viral anchorman is voting for the first time since 1972
- Voters in Georgia are reporting multiple problems with voting machines
- A white supremacy group is targeting Andrew Gillum in Florida
H/T the Root
Samantha Grasso is a former IRL staff writer for the Daily Dot with a reporting emphasis on immigration. Her work has appeared on Los Angeles Magazine, Death And Taxes, Revelist, Texts From Last Night, Austin Monthly, and she has previously contributed to Texas Monthly.