- West Virginia corrections employees suspended after Nazi salute photo surfaces Thursday 8:02 PM
- Here are the 15 best Eddie Murphy movies available to stream Thursday 7:56 PM
- Ex-InfoWars video editor admits to making up Islamophobic stories Thursday 6:55 PM
- WhatsApp accounts deleted amid Kashmir internet blackout Thursday 6:21 PM
- Guy gets mocked for tattoo of Baby Yoda drinking White Claw Thursday 6:18 PM
- Spotify Wrapped has people asking just how much it knows about us Thursday 5:50 PM
- Instagram account allegedly asked for inappropriate photos of children Thursday 5:16 PM
- How to stream ‘Boys vs. Bears on Thursday Night Football Thursday 4:33 PM
- Woman caught her boyfriend cheating through his Fitbit Thursday 4:29 PM
- The Pete Buttigieg ‘High Hopes’ dance was designed by an intern Thursday 4:17 PM
- TikTok admits to hiding content made by fat, LGBTQ, and disabled users Thursday 3:58 PM
- ‘Merry Happy Whatever’ is an unoriginal sitcom with plenty of holiday cheer Thursday 3:55 PM
- The ‘Pod Save America’ Bros are losing it over Joe Biden’s newest ad Thursday 3:28 PM
- Van Halen had a wholesome response in defense of Billie Eilish Thursday 3:15 PM
- Influencer faces wrath of K-pop fans after her son played with penis-shaped soap Thursday 1:27 PM
Directioners convince Harry Styles to call a cancer-stricken fan
Kelcey Hallinan was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma around hte same time she became a massive One Direction fan.
Kelcey Hallinan of Dunmore, Pa., was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma—a form of cancer—in Dec. 2011. Around the same time, the 18-year-old and some of her friends became massive fans of boy band One Direction and, in particular, singer Styles.
The Make-A-Wish Foundation granted Hallinan’s request to meet Styles, but she has not been well enough to see him.
On Friday, four of Hallinan’s close friends visited her at a Philadelphia hospital, where she was taken earlier in the week. Well aware of the teen’s love for Styles, they started a campaign to cheer her up by getting him to tweet at her. They’d apparently tried to catch his attention for her birthday in December as well, but to no avail.
“It was really amazing because I would get a notification every minute. I would get a bunch of them,” Hallinan’s friend Sarah Jeffers told Eyewitness News. “You would see people re-tweeting and favoriting.”
Hi @kelceyhal it’s nice to ‘meet’ you. I’m thinking about you.. And sending you all my love. H .xx
— Harry Styles (@Harry_Styles) September 8, 2013
Styles’s Sunday tweet “definitely made her, like, more excited and more happy,” said Jeffers.
Yet Styles wasn’t finished. He followed her on Twitter (as did tens of thousands of Directioners) and called Hallinan at her hospital room Monday.
Directioners often receive negative press. Just this weekend, some attacked a pro soccer player with death threats after he accidentally injured 1D member Louis Tomlinson in a charity game. Yet the fandom is frequently a force for good, as their willingness to help an ailing fellow fan hear from her idol showed.
Photo via donkeyjacket45/Flickr
Based in Montreal, Kris Holt has been writing about technology and web culture since 2010. He writes for Engadget and Tech News World, and his byline has also appeared in Paste, Salon, International Business Times, Mashable, and elsewhere.