- Report: YouTube will no longer run ads on anti-vax channels 7 Years Ago
- Microsoft employees want to cancel a $479 million contract with the U.S. military Today 1:14 PM
- Queso recipe gets launched to space Today 10:09 AM
- ‘Isabelle Facts’ was a wholesome queer meme account—until harassers showed up Today 8:28 AM
- 2016 election stories the ‘Newsroom’ reboot will cover Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream Brandon Rios vs. Humberto Soto for free Today 6:00 AM
- ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ heads to ‘Bly Manor’ for next installment Today 5:45 AM
- How to stream James DeGale vs. Chris Eubank Jr. for free Today 5:30 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 145 in Prague for free Today 5:00 AM
- R. Kelly charged in Chicago with multiple counts of sex abuse Friday 7:51 PM
- Elon Musk finally hosts PewDiePie’s meme review Friday 6:27 PM
- Netflix throws ‘Umbrella Academy’-themed wedding for fans Friday 4:54 PM
- Report: Facebook collects app data on users’ body weight, menstrual cycles Friday 3:38 PM
- Amy Klobuchar reportedly ate salad with a comb, and Twitter’s got questions Friday 2:47 PM
- Nobody likes Spotify’s new update Friday 2:34 PM
U.K. teen arrested after threatening Olympian Tom Daley on Twitter
A petition to kick the teen off Twitter had acquired 14,063 signatures before he was arrested.
British police arrested a 17-year-old accused of sending malicious and threatening tweets towards British diver Tom Daley yesterday, according to the BBC.
The teen had been staying in Weymouth and taken into custody by Dorset Police after they were notified by the public last night. They have 24 hours to hold him before they charge him with a crime.
“Regard tweets to @TomDaley1994 – We are aware of the issue and we are actively looking into it,” the Dorset Police tweeted.
The teen, who is only known as @Rileyy_69 on Twitter, originally brought the wrath of Twitter against him when Daley posted a hateful message that @Rileyy_69 sent his way about Daley’s father. Rob Daley died of a brain tumor last year.
“After giving it my all….you get idiot’s sending me this…RT @Rileyy_69: @TomDaley1994 you let your dad down i hope you know that,” Daley posted.
Rileyy_69 initially apologized but quickly changed his tune after Daley’s fans continued to attack him. The Twitition that pushed to get @Rileyy_69 off Twitter has 14,063 signatures and has been active for less than a day.
Aside from threatening followers, news outlets and Daley himself, he also called him “an over-hyped prick,” “an absolute waste of space” and threatened to drown him in a pool, according to Digital Spy.
At one point @Rileyy_69’s account was suspended, though it was shortly restored. He eventually made the Twitter account private. He told followers that he would go to “the ****** police station now to sort this out.” His last tweet before he presumably entered police custory was an apology.
“night everyone and im genuinely sorry for what’s happened today just know that im actually a really nice person and i regret what I’ve said,” he tweeted.
Olympic Deputy Mayor Duncan Goodhew, a former medal winner, told ITV’s Daybreak that the behavior was “appalling.”
“I suppose that social media in one sense is fantastic, but turned the wrong way round it is very, very personal and it destroys people’s lives,” Goodhew said.
Photo via Twitter
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.