- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Friday 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Friday 3:28 PM
- Blue Bell ice cream licker pleads guilty Friday 2:54 PM
- 7 fortune-telling sites for when you’re bored Friday 2:21 PM
- Governor bans sex puns on free condom wrappers Friday 2:16 PM
- Is Justin Bieber’s ‘Yummy’ video secretly about Pizzagate? Friday 1:01 PM
- Woah Vicky rips out her hair in botched cultural appropriation attempt Friday 12:30 PM
- Here’s an exclusive look at ‘Weathering With You’ Friday 11:57 AM
- TikTok dudes are dipping their balls in soy sauce for ‘science’ Friday 11:49 AM
- Pete Buttigieg’s denial of fixing bread prices becomes its own meme Friday 11:10 AM
- Houston Astros get torched with buzzer memes after new revelation Friday 10:41 AM
- Teens are eating cereal out of each other’s mouths for clout Friday 10:34 AM
Two children and one teacher have been reported injured in a shooting at an elementary school in Townville, South Carolina. According to WYFF Greenville, police have a teenage suspect in custody.
My heart is sick for Anderson&South Carolina.Praying initial reports of no loss of life remain true & for those injured and their families
— Tim Scott (@SenatorTimScott) September 28, 2016
Deputies from the Oconee County Sheriff’s Office responded to provide assistance at the request of the Anderson County Sheriff’s Office in regards to an active shooter situation that occurred at Townville Elementary School in Anderson County.
The Sheriff’s Office received word of a reported active shooter at the school around 1:44pm this afternoon and immediately dispatched the first deputies to the scene as well as sending deputies to the area schools in Oconee County to ensure the safety of our students. A request was made until more information became known for the area schools in Oconee County to go into a code yellow which means instruction inside the school continues as usual but no one is allowed into the building. School dismissal will take place in Oconee County on the normal schedule.
Since that time, the Sheriff’s Office has been assisting the Anderson County Sheriff’s Office in regards to securing and clearing the school. The Sheriff’s Office SWAT unit and additional resources have been activated to assist.
Also, assets from Oconee County Emergency Services responded to the scene as well.
“I have spoken with Sheriff John Skipper in Anderson County and have offered to make available any resources and assistance from the Oconee County Sheriff’s Office that he needs as the investigation continues,” says Oconee County Sheriff Mike Crenshaw.
Police are also reportedly investigating a death in Townville, about three miles from the school, that officials say had a “direct connection” to the school shooting.
One student’s mother relayed to WYFF what her daughter saw: “She said they went in the bathroom. I don’t know how they knew to go in the bathroom, but I know her teacher was shaken up. I know all the kids were scared. There was a bunch of kids crying. She didn’t talk for about 5 minutes when I got her. I’m just so scared. I don’t even want her to go to school now.”
According to Mass Shooting Tracker, this is the 362nd mass shooting to occur this year.
Jaya Saxena is a lifestyle writer and editor whose work focuses primarily on women's issues and web culture. Her writing has appeared in GQ, ELLE, the Toast, the New Yorker, Tthe Hairpin, BuzzFeed, Racked, Eater, Catapult, and others. She is the co-author of 'Dad Magazine,' the author of 'The Book Of Lost Recipes,' and the co-author of 'Basic Witches.'