- Seed University might actually be the first good influencer school Tuesday 9:35 PM
- Black couple says they were accused of stealing during marriage proposal Tuesday 6:57 PM
- How to live stream Robert Mueller’s testimony Tuesday 6:00 PM
- ‘MAGA Bomber’ believed that antifa was trying to murder Papa John’s employees Tuesday 5:23 PM
- Forever 21 under fire for sending Atkins diet bars with online orders Tuesday 4:56 PM
- Apple denies boosting its own apps in App Store Tuesday 4:25 PM
- The new Overwatch hero is a naked foot enthusiast, apparently Tuesday 4:19 PM
- Bella Thorne comes out as pansexual Tuesday 3:17 PM
- Macy’s pulls portion-control plates after social media uproar Tuesday 2:59 PM
- John Oliver confirms the internet’s suspicions about that ‘Lion King’ cast photo Tuesday 2:14 PM
- Report: Fake Libra accounts rampant on Facebook, Instagram Tuesday 2:10 PM
- Tennessee neighbors form human chain to help father and son escape ICE Tuesday 1:57 PM
- Google settled two multi-million dollar lawsuits this week Tuesday 1:26 PM
- How to live stream Guadalajara vs. Atletico Madrid Tuesday 12:47 PM
- Forget Area 51—People are planning to storm the Bermuda Triangle Tuesday 12:41 PM
Woman Snapchats boyfriend pointing gun at her head hours before he kills her
The couple posted disturbing Snapchats before the girlfriend was killed.
Little Rock, Arkansas, resident Stephanie Hernandez was hanging out at her new house with her boyfriend on Sunday. She posted some pictures to Snapchat that day: of a gun and its ammunition, and of boyfriend Rafael Gonzalez pointing the gun at the camera. In one of the snaps, the gun is close to Hernandez’s head. In another, Hernandez casually posted the phrase “Strap Chat” over the pic—referencing the slang term that means you’re carrying a gun.
Hours later, Hernandez was dead. The 21-year-old mother of two young girls was discovered with a gunshot wound. According to the New York Daily News, police found the house “ransacked, with blood all over the floor.”
Gonzalez was arrested on Monday. According to Arkansas’s KARK, the 20-year-old was charged with murdering his girlfriend, is being held without bond, and faces an initial hearing on Tuesday morning.
According to KARK, Stephanie Hernandez’s family is caring for her 3-year-old daughter and 8-month-old baby girl. Her uncle, Rey Hernandez, said that the Snapchat photos were a shock and brought concern to the family in the hours before her death.
“They were disturbing to see him hold a gun. I guess they were loaded,” Hernandez’s uncle told KARK. “In her back… it is just mind-blowing. I don’t understand how anybody can do that.”
Another relative told local station KATV that Hernandez had just moved in with the boyfriend and other roommates three weeks prior, and the relationship was known to be rocky and “off and on.”
Hernandez’s friend Jaquinlan Davis was at the house Monday to gather Hernandez’s belongings and told KATV that he was so concerned about the new boyfriend he considered trying to get Hernandez to leave with him.
“I knew his history and everything, and I knew he was a bad influence,” Davis told KATV. “I wanted to tell her. I wanted her to come with me, actually, when I left.”
Illustration by Jason Reed
Mary Emily O'Hara is an LGBTQ reporter. Her work has appeared in Rolling Stone, NBC Out, Daily Dot, Broadly, Vice, the Daily Beast, the Advocate, Huffington Post, DNAinfo, Al Jazeera, and Portland's Pulitzer Prize-winning newsweekly Willamette Week, among other outlets.