- Apple warns coronavirus expected to cause iPhone ‘supply shortages’ Monday 7:59 PM
- Will ‘The Bachelor’ end without an engagement? Monday 7:44 PM
- This ‘Little Women’ scene just became a meme Monday 7:03 PM
- Playable version of Blizzard’s ‘StarCraft: Ghost’ leaks online nearly 15 years after cancelation Monday 6:31 PM
- This Twitter extension can block unsolicited nudes from your inbox Monday 6:01 PM
- Jeffree Star wears cornrows after being accused of cultural appropriation Monday 4:49 PM
- Jeff Bezos says he’ll commit $10 billion to combat climate change Monday 4:18 PM
- A TikTok user went on a mission to turn his urine blue by chugging food coloring Monday 3:55 PM
- YouTuber’s vacation in ‘Bali’ was actually staged at Ikea Monday 3:14 PM
- Video shows liquor store manager calling employee ‘f*cking worthless’ Monday 1:16 PM
- Instagram influencer scams followers out of $1.5 million Monday 12:22 PM
- Why did the Israeli military tweet this thirst trap? Monday 10:43 AM
- Jake Paul wants you to have financial freedom… by paying him a monthly fee Monday 10:40 AM
- Tweets from Sanders supporters are terrifying the establishment Monday 10:15 AM
- Zuckerberg says he supports 1 bill in Congress that would regulate Facebook Monday 10:11 AM
Charlotte Elizabeth Diana. That’s the name of the new baby girl born to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge last weekend. But because royal baby news is one of those events that everyone feels the need to express an opinion about, some people on Twitter are completely losing it over the little princess’s name.
Some are thrilled about the name, particularly because it contains a tribute to the late Princess Diana:
Charlotte Elizabeth Diana is a beautiful and poignant name.
— Rachel Sklar (@rachelsklar) May 4, 2015
Others are riffing on the triple name.
HRH Princess Charlotte Elizabeth Diana Daenerys Arya Sansa Leia Amidala Hermione Mary Sybil Edith Joan Peggy Betty of Windsor
— Dave Itzkoff (@ditzkoff) May 4, 2015
And others are disappointed that Kate stole their baby name ideas:
Princess Charlotte – well there’s another one of my future baby names vetoed… (don’t get me wrong the name is all kinds of beautiful)
— Suzie ♡ ☽ (@hello_october_) May 4, 2015
There were those people who reflected on the money they lost or won in royal baby-naming pools:
CHARLOTTE? I had so much money riding on A$AP Baby 🙁
— Erin Gloria Ryan (@morninggloria) May 4, 2015
Bookies are saying that Charlotte has cost them £1 million – I’ll be collecting my winnings from them too!
— Rebecca English (@RE_DailyMail) May 4, 2015
And some are just confused about Charlotte’s origins.
Everybody does realize that the princess isn’t named after the city of Charlotte, right?
— Sergio Tovar (@sergiotovar) May 4, 2015
Name your princess Charlotte, and you’re honor-bound to follow up with Princesses Carrie, Samantha and (let’s be real) Handmaiden Miranda.
— Matthew Schneier (@MatthewSchneier) May 4, 2015
But no matter how many smug jokes people make on social media about a less-than-week-month-old baby, no jokes will be as smug as the ones about People Magazine‘s royal screwup on their own royal baby post:
“Alice.” That’s clearly a name for commoners.
Photo via Robbie Dale/Flickr (CC BY 2.0)
Myles Tanzer is a former contributor to the Daily Dot with an emphasis on technology and viral news. He is currently the Fader's news editor, having previously written and edited for Vogue, BuzzFeed, and Gawker.