- How to live stream Robert Mueller’s testimony 4 Years Ago
- ‘MAGA Bomber’ believed that antifa was trying to murder Papa John’s employees Today 5:23 PM
- Forever 21 under fire for sending Atkins diet bars with online orders Today 4:56 PM
- Apple denies boosting its own apps in App Store Today 4:25 PM
- The new Overwatch hero is a naked foot enthusiast, apparently Today 4:19 PM
- Bella Thorne comes out as pansexual Today 3:17 PM
- Macy’s pulls portion-control plates after social media uproar Today 2:59 PM
- John Oliver confirms the internet’s suspicions about that ‘Lion King’ cast photo Today 2:14 PM
- Report: Fake Libra accounts rampant on Facebook, Instagram Today 2:10 PM
- Tennessee neighbors form human chain to help father and son escape ICE Today 1:57 PM
- Google settled two multi-million dollar lawsuits this week Today 1:26 PM
- How to live stream Guadalajara vs. Atletico Madrid Today 12:47 PM
- Forget Area 51—People are planning to storm the Bermuda Triangle Today 12:41 PM
- It’s too late to book a room for the Area 51 raid Today 12:28 PM
- Adam Sandler’s next Netflix film is a star-studded Halloween comedy Today 12:17 PM
Meet the 21-year-old winner of this plus-size lingerie modeling contest
Sophia Adams is a 21-year-old police trainee, but now she can add plus-size model to her resume.
Sophia Adams is a 21-year-old police trainee, but now she can add “plus-size model” to her resume. The London native was just voted the winner of the Curvy Kate Star in a Bra contest. She’ll be the face of the brand’s spring/summer 2016 catalogue.
Adams was one of 10 finalists for the online competition, which kicked off with a body-positive version of a controversial Victoria’s Secret ad that claimed to celebrate a diverse range of women’s bodies. Now the model, who wears a 32JJ bra, will represent the Curvy Kate customer, who is a D-cup or higher.
On the contest page, Adams explained that she entered the competition in part as a confidence booster. “I used to have so many body hang ups, hated my size and wanted to change myself,” she wrote. “But as I get older I’m realizing it’s all about self love and treating your body like the temple it is!”
This summer, Adams will be flying to Faro, Portugal, to take part in the Curvy Kate campaign and shoot images to be used in brochures, catalogues, promotions and advertising.
“The theme will be curve-loving – body-celebrating – as our line-up of models is diverse we aim to show all shapes and sizes so that all our customers have someone to look to for their lingerie buying needs,” a spokesperson told the Daily Dot via email.
Beyond the photo shoot, Adams is signing a contract with Bridge Models, a plus-size modeling agency in the UK.
In an interview with Adams, posted on Curvy Kate’s website, she said: “The main thing I want to do is send out a positive message to all women that every shape and size is beautiful, we all have bits we like and bits we don’t like about our bodies but embrace every inch of it!”
Marisa Kabas is a lifestyle reporter and activist. Her work has been published by Fusion, Fast Company, and Today. She’s also served as an editorial campaigns director for Purpose PBC, a social movement incubator.