- Cop who called for boycott of Beyoncé’s Super Bowl performance now says he’s Black 3 Years Ago
- Uber, Lyft dragged for surging prices during mass shooting 3 Years Ago
- The legacies of colonialism loom in Netflix’s new horror show ‘Ares’ 3 Years Ago
- College student arrested in China after tweeting about Xi Jinping 3 Years Ago
- YouTuber ImJayStation accused of faking the death of his girlfriend for views Today 10:23 AM
- Twitter sends cease-and-desist letter to facial recognition firm scraping its images Today 10:01 AM
- A CNN analyst’s impeachment joke sparks fake news fury Today 9:08 AM
- Patrick Stewart invited Whoopi Goldberg to join ‘Star Trek: Picard’ season 2 Today 8:26 AM
- Dolly Parton inspires ‘LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, Tinder’ meme Today 8:12 AM
- ‘Star Trek: Picard’ episode 1 recap: A glimpse into a troubled future Today 8:00 AM
- ‘Captain Marvel 2’ movie in the works with new screenwriter Today 7:11 AM
- Fortune Feimster embraces the past and present in celebratory ‘Sweet & Salty’ Today 7:00 AM
- Review: ‘Star Trek: Picard’ is a triumphant return for Patrick Stewart Today 5:00 AM
- ‘American Dirt’ controversy inspires meme about Latinx stereotypes in literature Wednesday 9:02 PM
- What is the TikTok ‘flex challenge’? Wednesday 8:03 PM
Couple of 57 years recreates ‘The Notebook’—and the internet is bawling all over again
‘The first time that he laid eyes on me he said, ‘That’s the girl I’m going to marry.’’
If you were to ask people what romantic film makes them well up with tears, The Notebook would likely be at the top of the list. So it makes sense someone, er, everyone would want to re-create the epic love story in a poignant way.
That’s what photographer Stacy Welch-Christ had in mind when she brought the idea to Clemma and Sterling Elmore—who’ve been married for 57 years.
The couple were fans of the movie—they’ve seen it twice—but were a little nervous about the photo shoot at first.
“I told them they were just to pretend they were movie stars and act like this was a movie and have fun,” Welch-Christ told BuzzFeed. “As soon as they walked out for that first pose, it was the most natural love I have ever photographed.”
And the two apparently have a Notebook-esque love story to fit the sweet photos. Clemma Elmore told ABC News, “He said the first time that he laid eyes on me that he said, ‘That’s the girl I’m going to marry.’” But then she ended up being the one who jokingly popped the question—and they were married the next week.
The Elmores’s key to a long-lasting marriage: “The fact that we never fail to tell each other, probably 10 times a day, ‘I love you,’” Clemma said.
Jessica Machado is the IRL editor of the Daily Dot. Previously, she was an associate editor at Rolling Stone. Her work has been published in the Washington Post, Elle, Vice, Salon, BuzzFeed, Guernica, Bitch, Bust, the Cut, the Awl, the Toast, among others.