- #DogsAgainstBrexit highlights the negative impact of Brexit on pets Monday 7:44 PM
- Congress investigating whether vaping manufacturers used social media bots Monday 6:34 PM
- Influencer accuses Lisa Frank of stealing apartment design, says that’s why she’s getting evicted (updated) Monday 6:12 PM
- Brits are sharing their ‘awfully British Amazon reviews’ on Twitter Monday 4:08 PM
- How to stream Mexico vs. Panama in Concacaf Nations League play Monday 3:38 PM
- How to stream U.S. vs. Canada in the Concacaf Nations League tournament Monday 3:21 PM
- Fortnite’s black hole launches conspiracy theories and memes Monday 3:19 PM
- WeWork pulls phone booths over formaldehyde concerns Monday 3:06 PM
- Mark Zuckerberg is reportedly having private meetings with prominent conservatives Monday 3:03 PM
- Firework is a social video app with a literal twist Monday 2:46 PM
- Pro-Trump meme comedian Carpe Donktum suspended by Twitter (updated) Monday 1:35 PM
- Here are all of the Disney+ titles available to stream at launch Monday 12:52 PM
- Rumor: Apple to release $399 iPhone SE follow-up next year Monday 12:44 PM
- Sulli, K-pop star who spoke against cyberbullying, dead at 25 Monday 12:37 PM
- The latest front in Turkey’s digital war against the Kurds? Google reviews Monday 12:19 PM
Dutch airline enrages Mexican soccer fans with offensive tweet
“I’m never flying your s**tty airline again. F**k you big time.”
Proving both that Mexico takes soccer very seriously, and airlines need to stop giving drunk interns control over their social media accounts, the Dutch airline KLM landed in hot water Sunday with a tweet poking fun at the Netherlands’ victory over Mexico in the World Cup, which many found racially insensitive and in poor taste.
Posted shortly after the Netherlands beat Mexico 2-1 in a World Cup Round of 16 match, the tweet read, “Adios Amigos! #NEDMEX,” along with a picture of a flight departures sign featuring a caricature wearing a sombrero.
— hellahueck (@hellahueck) June 29, 2014
Oof. Niet sportief, KLM. Niet sportief at all.
The tweet, which has since been deleted, caused an uproar among many of KLM’s Mexican followers, including Mexican actor Gael Garcia Bernal:
.@KLM I’m never flying your shitty airline again. Fuck you big time.
— Gael Garcia Bernal (@GaelGarciaB) June 29, 2014
Great social media strategy, @KLM . Tweet something offensive to many in your largest Latin American market. Delete it. Pray no one read it.
— Gabriel Guerra C (@gabrielguerrac) June 29, 2014
— Skift (@skift) June 29, 2014
KLM, good luck flying out of Mexico city now…
— Rafat Ali (@rafat) June 29, 2014
— Alastair Jamieson (@alastairjam) June 29, 2014
— ♛ WeraSupernova (@wera_supernova) June 29, 2014
Although it doesn’t look like KLM has issued an apology yet, if they do we hope it’s something like this (NSFW).
EJ Dickson is a writer and editor who primarily covers sex, dating, and relationships, with a special focus on the intersection of intimacy and technology. She served as the Daily Dot’s IRL editor from January 2014 to July 2015. Her work has since appeared in the New York Times, Rolling Stone, Mic, Bustle, Romper, and Men’s Health.