- Gigi Hadid absolutely obliterates Jake Paul over Zayn Malik diss Today 10:26 AM
- People really want Chris Matthews fired after he compared Sanders’ Nevada win to Nazi invasion of France Today 9:35 AM
- Bernie Sanders wins Nevada Caucuses Saturday 6:54 PM
- MSNBC is out of its mind over Sanders leading Nevada Saturday 5:20 PM
- Kim Kardashian dragged for using makeup to darken her hands Saturday 4:13 PM
- TikTok users show how they turned their vehicles into incredible tiny homes Saturday 3:44 PM
- Woman iconically pranks man who sent her an unsolicited d*ck pic Saturday 2:25 PM
- ‘Terrifying’ deepfake puts Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk in ‘Star Trek’ Saturday 1:06 PM
- A 36-year-old called the cops after being booted from parents’ phone plan Saturday 12:16 PM
- People think novelist Dean Koontz predicted the coronavirus in 1981 thriller Saturday 10:22 AM
- Twitter suspends 70 pro-Bloomberg accounts Saturday 9:15 AM
- In documentary ‘Modern Whore,’ a former escort takes control of her own narrative Saturday 6:30 AM
- Cara Delevingne calls out Justin Bieber for ‘ranking’ wife Hailey’s friends Friday 9:07 PM
- Fans defend Jenna Marbles after some people claimed she mistreated her dogs in a recent video Friday 8:37 PM
- ‘Friends’ gets reunion special on HBO Max, fans go wild Friday 7:37 PM
Dutch airline enrages Mexican soccer fans with offensive tweet
“I’m never flying your s**tty airline again. F**k you big time.”
Proving both that Mexico takes soccer very seriously, and airlines need to stop giving drunk interns control over their social media accounts, the Dutch airline KLM landed in hot water Sunday with a tweet poking fun at the Netherlands’ victory over Mexico in the World Cup, which many found racially insensitive and in poor taste.
Posted shortly after the Netherlands beat Mexico 2-1 in a World Cup Round of 16 match, the tweet read, “Adios Amigos! #NEDMEX,” along with a picture of a flight departures sign featuring a caricature wearing a sombrero.
— hellahueck (@hellahueck) June 29, 2014
Oof. Niet sportief, KLM. Niet sportief at all.
The tweet, which has since been deleted, caused an uproar among many of KLM’s Mexican followers, including Mexican actor Gael Garcia Bernal:
.@KLM I’m never flying your shitty airline again. Fuck you big time.
— Gael Garcia Bernal (@GaelGarciaB) June 29, 2014
Great social media strategy, @KLM . Tweet something offensive to many in your largest Latin American market. Delete it. Pray no one read it.
— Gabriel Guerra C (@gabrielguerrac) June 29, 2014
— Skift (@skift) June 29, 2014
KLM, good luck flying out of Mexico city now…
— Rafat Ali (@rafat) June 29, 2014
— Alastair Jamieson (@alastairjam) June 29, 2014
— ♛ WeraSupernova (@wera_supernova) June 29, 2014
Although it doesn’t look like KLM has issued an apology yet, if they do we hope it’s something like this (NSFW).
EJ Dickson is a writer and editor who primarily covers sex, dating, and relationships, with a special focus on the intersection of intimacy and technology. She served as the Daily Dot’s IRL editor from January 2014 to July 2015. Her work has since appeared in the New York Times, Rolling Stone, Mic, Bustle, Romper, and Men’s Health.