- ‘Game of Thrones’ meme claims King’s Landing is an ‘inside job’ 5 Years Ago
- Report: Personal data of 49 million Instagram influencers exposed online Today 4:57 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ season 3 trailer teases a wet, hot American summer Today 4:02 PM
- What Daenerys’ biggest ‘Game of Thrones’ scenes have in common with Nazi propaganda Today 3:12 PM
- Here’s what’s coming to Amazon Prime in June Today 2:11 PM
- Where did Jon Snow go? Unpacking the ‘Game of Thrones’ ending Today 2:04 PM
- So, did anyone actually win ‘Game of Thrones’? Today 1:29 PM
- The surprising religious subtext of ‘John Wick: Chapter 3’ Today 12:53 PM
- Robin Arryn got hot—and the internet is seriously shook Today 12:40 PM
- Tana Mongeau is going to VidCon a year after TanaCon disaster Today 12:12 PM
- What have 2020 Democrats said about Alabama’s abortion ban? Today 11:36 AM
- People keep throwing milkshakes at the U.K.’s far-right politicians Today 11:10 AM
- James Charles is rebounding from his YouTube scandal—and his mentor is paying the price Today 10:42 AM
- Conservatives accuse Pete Buttigieg of wanting to tear down Jefferson Memorial Today 10:28 AM
- Graduating Moorehouse students thank billionaire for vowing to pay off $40m in student debt Today 10:22 AM
“I’m never flying your s**tty airline again. F**k you big time.”
Proving both that Mexico takes soccer very seriously, and airlines need to stop giving drunk interns control over their social media accounts, the Dutch airline KLM landed in hot water Sunday with a tweet poking fun at the Netherlands’ victory over Mexico in the World Cup, which many found racially insensitive and in poor taste.
Posted shortly after the Netherlands beat Mexico 2-1 in a World Cup Round of 16 match, the tweet read, “Adios Amigos! #NEDMEX,” along with a picture of a flight departures sign featuring a caricature wearing a sombrero.
— hellahueck (@hellahueck) June 29, 2014
Oof. Niet sportief, KLM. Niet sportief at all.
The tweet, which has since been deleted, caused an uproar among many of KLM’s Mexican followers, including Mexican actor Gael Garcia Bernal:
.@KLM I’m never flying your shitty airline again. Fuck you big time.
— Gael Garcia Bernal (@GaelGarciaB) June 29, 2014
Great social media strategy, @KLM . Tweet something offensive to many in your largest Latin American market. Delete it. Pray no one read it.
— Gabriel Guerra C (@gabrielguerrac) June 29, 2014
— Skift (@skift) June 29, 2014
KLM, good luck flying out of Mexico city now…
— Rafat Ali (@rafat) June 29, 2014
— Alastair Jamieson (@alastairjam) June 29, 2014
— ♛ WeraSupernova (@wera_supernova) June 29, 2014
Although it doesn’t look like KLM has issued an apology yet, if they do we hope it’s something like this (NSFW).
EJ Dickson is a writer and editor who primarily covers sex, dating, and relationships, with a special focus on the intersection of intimacy and technology. She served as the Daily Dot’s IRL editor from January 2014 to July 2015. Her work has since appeared in the New York Times, Rolling Stone, Mic, Bustle, Romper, and Men’s Health.