- ‘Stranger Things’ season 3 trailer teases a wet, hot American summer 4 Years Ago
- What Daenerys’ biggest ‘Game of Thrones’ scenes have in common with Nazi propaganda 4 Years Ago
- Here’s what’s coming to Amazon Prime in June Today 2:11 PM
- Where did Jon Snow go? Unpacking the ‘Game of Thrones’ ending Today 2:04 PM
- So, did anyone actually win ‘Game of Thrones’? Today 1:29 PM
- The surprising religious subtext of ‘John Wick: Chapter 3’ Today 12:53 PM
- Robin Arryn got hot—and the internet is seriously shook Today 12:40 PM
- Tana Mongeau is going to VidCon a year after TanaCon disaster Today 12:12 PM
- What have 2020 Democrats said about Alabama’s abortion ban? Today 11:36 AM
- People keep throwing milkshakes at the U.K.’s far-right politicians Today 11:10 AM
- James Charles is rebounding from his YouTube scandal—and his mentor is paying the price Today 10:42 AM
- Conservatives accuse Pete Buttigieg of wanting to tear down Jefferson Memorial Today 10:28 AM
- Graduating Moorehouse students thank billionaire for vowing to pay off $40m in student debt Today 10:22 AM
- ‘Westworld’ season 3 trailer gives us a new world, Aaron Paul Today 10:17 AM
- Twitch streamer says she’s receiving backlash for ‘getting men banned’ Today 9:27 AM
‘Last Week Tonight’s sex PSA makes up for terrible sex-education classes
Some of these sex education videos have to be seen to be believed.
Sex-ed curricula can vary wildly from state to state and even from school to school. With abstinence education still a popular choice across the country, many teens aren’t even getting decent sex education at all. They’re just being told to wait until marriage, often with help from gross and sexist metaphors like comparing women to chewing gum: If you’ve been “chewed” by more than one person, then no one will want you afterward.
The result is that many people reach adulthood without learning basic information about anatomy and consent. This puritanical system does nothing to combat teen pregnancy or the spread of STDs.
That celebrity-filled sex ed video may not contain everything you need to know, but it certainly makes for some useful Cliff’s Notes. Maybe they should consider taking that show on the road.
Screengrab via Last Week Tonight/YouTube
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor