- Video shows liquor store manager calling employee ‘f*cking worthless’ Today 1:16 PM
- Instagram influencer scams followers out of $1.5 million Today 12:22 PM
- Why did the Israeli military tweet this thirst trap? Today 10:43 AM
- Jake Paul wants you to have financial freedom… by paying him a monthly fee Today 10:40 AM
- Tweets from Sanders supporters are terrifying the establishment Today 10:15 AM
- Zuckerberg says he supports 1 bill in Congress that would regulate Facebook Today 10:11 AM
- Uncanny ‘Back to the Future’ deepfake transports Tom Holland and Robert Downey, Jr. to 1985 Today 10:04 AM
- Everyone is doing the Renegade. Including the teen who started it Today 9:23 AM
- Reality Winner is asking for clemency—will she get it? Today 7:59 AM
- There’s a Baby Yoda mod for ‘Star Wars: Battlefront II’ Today 7:38 AM
- ‘Bachelor’ contestant apologizes for ‘White Lives Matter’ photo shoot Today 12:13 AM
- ‘Sonic The Hedgehog’ sets box office record for video game movies Sunday 8:15 PM
- Truck driver allegedly watching porn kills teen driver in a car crash Sunday 6:44 PM
- Is the Buttigieg campaign behind this pro-Pete Nigerian Twitter account? Sunday 4:58 PM
- Mask that has your face printed on it allows you to unlock your phone during viral epidemics Sunday 3:52 PM
Thankfully, the fireworks-related injuries that New York Giants star Jason Pierre-Paul suffered over July 4 aren’t as bad as they initially seemed. Initial, unsubstantiated online reports said Pierre-Paul might have blown off a few fingers in the accident, but the New York Post reports that he only suffered bad burns on his palm and fingers and that one finger might have nerve damage, but it doesn’t sound like his injuries are career-threatening.
But here’s the thing. Pierre-Paul, who still hasn’t signed his $14.8 million contract offer for the 2015 season, previewed his plans for the 4th by filling his Instagram page with posts about fireworks and how excited he was for them. For example:
Before the mainstream media began reporting the facts of the Pierre-Paul incident, a few Twitter users with now-deleted accounts emerged saying they had spent the evening of the 4th with the 26-year-old Pierre-Paul and his exploding instruments of good times/destruction.
It’s hard to know at this point whether Pierre-Paul really used a U-Haul to transport his huge haul of fireworks, but you can see in the Instagram videos below that he was definitely standing near a U-Haul truck and talking about fireworks.
Does it seem silly that Pierre-Paul would risk his career and the potential tens of millions of dollars he could make in future contracts to blow up a few (or, in his case, a van-load of) fireworks? Yes, it does. Because unless you know exactly what you’re doing, you should remember that fireworks are basically just lit pieces of gunpowder that are manufactured to blow up in the sky.
Photo via Karen Blaha/Flickr (CC by-SA 2.0)
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.