- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
- Why Britons are tweeting ‘Little England’ in wake of the U.K. election Friday 3:22 PM
- Net neutrality advocates ask for rehearing on federal court decision Friday 2:29 PM
- Americans are sharing their #PrivateHealthLIFEhacks to help Brits Friday 2:28 PM
- Warren, Sanders, Yang pledge to skip next week’s debate over union dispute Friday 2:12 PM
- How to watch tonight’s Nets vs. Raptors matchup on NBA TV Friday 2:00 PM
- Alt-right comedian Owen Benjamin banned from Instagram over anti-Semitic memes Friday 1:55 PM
- TikTok teens are procrastinating with #FinalsWeek Friday 1:46 PM
- ‘The Mandalorian’ takes on a prison break in episode 6 Friday 1:30 PM
- Nick Cannon vs. Eminem battle expected to escalate after ‘off-limits’ daughter diss Friday 12:50 PM
- Laura Loomer vehemently denies being author of new Laura Loomer-themed action novel Friday 12:30 PM
- PewDiePie’s poop-inspired game gets banned by Apple Friday 11:29 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ showrunners to adapt ‘Lovecraft’ graphic novel to screen Friday 11:00 AM
- The 50 memes that defined the decade Friday 10:45 AM
- Venmo users are getting harassed with fraudulent payment requests Friday 10:38 AM
The ad, which features a photo of two black students sitting at their desks at Fleming Island High School, was titled “TWO SLAVES FOR SALE – $470 (Fleming Island Plantation).” The post read: “Two healthy negro slavegals for sale. Good condition and hard work ethic! If you need another pair of hands around the the farm/house, you’re in luck!”
According to First Coast News, the ad was immediately taken off of Craigslist after being reported by Lexis Potter, who was perusing the farms and gardening section of the site. Potter originally uploaded a screen shot of the ad to Facebook, but has since taken it down.
This is what happened to my sister (in the blue) who attends Fleming Island High School in Jacksonville, FL. This is NOT OKAY AT ALL!!! pic.twitter.com/vhhGyZZ5aP— yossiana (@yossiana22) April 27, 2017
One of the girls in the ad’s photo, a senior named Skye Fefee, told First Coast News that a friend sent her the ad via Snapchat. She then saw the image on Potter’s Facebook page.
“I never thought somebody would do this to me. I had friends texting and calling me,” Fefee said. “Everyone started tagging me in the post, and then my mom saw it and was disturbed by it … I was really upset about it because Fleming Island is known for racial slurs. This school year someone wrote on the toilets, ‘whites only.'”
The student who posted the ad has been suspended for 10 days, and the principal has recommended the student to an alternative school after the suspension is lifted, ABC affiliate Local 10 News reported.
“We do not tolerate this type of behavior and we are disheartened that any of our students would be subject to discrimination,” Clay County School District superintendent Addison Davis said in a statement. “Fleming Island High School administration and district leadership are working together to create a school-wide plan of action to strengthen the climate and culture while celebrating the school’s diversity.”
Ultimately, the school board will make the decision whether to send the student to the alternative school or expel him. Fefee, however, thinks the school administration should do more to prevent racist aggressions like this ad.
“I think the student should be expelled,” she said. “The administration doesn’t pay attention to this. They need to better monitor the students.”
Samantha Grasso is a former IRL staff writer for the Daily Dot with a reporting emphasis on immigration. Her work has appeared on Los Angeles Magazine, Death And Taxes, Revelist, Texts From Last Night, Austin Monthly, and she has previously contributed to Texas Monthly.