- Conservatives accuse Pete Buttigieg of wanting to tear down Jefferson Memorial 6 Years Ago
- Graduating Moorehouse students thank billionaire for vowing to pay off $40m in student debt 6 Years Ago
- ‘Westworld’ season 3 trailer gives us a new world, Aaron Paul 6 Years Ago
- Twitch streamer says she’s receiving backlash for ‘getting men banned’ Today 9:27 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ fulfilled a twisted version of its biggest prophecy Today 8:17 AM
- Minions memes are more popular than the far-right on Telegram Today 7:35 AM
- ‘Best of Nextdoor’ reveals the true insanity of modern life Today 7:30 AM
- How to watch ‘Jeopardy’ for free Today 7:00 AM
- There’s a water bottle hiding in the ‘Game of Thrones’ finale Today 6:46 AM
- What happens to Disney’s Loki TV series after ‘Avengers: Endgame’? Today 6:30 AM
- Brienne writing Jaime’s history is the best meme from the ‘Game of Thrones’ finale Today 6:25 AM
- How to stream live TV on PlayStation 4 Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Disney XD online for free Today 5:30 AM
- Who survived the ‘Game of Thrones’ series finale? Sunday 10:21 PM
- Justin Bieber fans are damaging one of Iceland’s top tourist spots Sunday 1:28 PM
Bitcoin exchange Paymium now has bank backing from France’s Credit Mutuel.
The first Bitcoin bank is officially open for business.
“The move will provide Bitcoin-Central with protections afforded to payment service providers in Europe, including insurance on Bitcoin accounts worth up to 100,000 Euros,” Roy wrote. “In addition to protections provided by the Garantie des dépôts (France’s FDIC), user funds will also be held at Credit Mutuel under their name instead of an online Bitcoin wallet, ostensibly providing accounts with more stringent security.”
Paymium CTO David Francois announced the news on a Bitcoin forum Thursday. Francois explained how the partnership will help further popularize the digital currency, which has often been used to hide illegal activity, and allow people to get a debit card that uses Bitcoin.
“Each account will in a few months get its very own IBAN number, users will be able to use it as any other bank account, have their salaries and pensions sent there and have them automatically converted to Bitcoin if they so wish,” Francois wrote. “Corporations will have an actual financial institution talking with them if they wish to start accepting Bitcoin and be safe from a regulatory point of view.”
News of the Bitcoin bank comes after a year of movements toward legitimacy.
In August, Charlie Shrem, cofounder of Bitcoin transfer service BitInstant, announced plans to create a debit card that functions in all the establishments that accept MasterCard. The debit cards will have your Bitcoin Address on the back and a QR code on the front so you can send coins directly to the card.
In early November, Reddit CEO Yishan Wong, a long time fan of the digital currency, hinted that Bitcoins were being considered as a form of payment for Reddit gold in a comment made in the r/bitcoin subreddit. That news was followed by WordPress.com, a free blogging service built on WordPress’ open source software, stating that it will accept Bitcoin as a form of payment for features like blog upgrades and custom designs.
Photo by zcopley/Flickr
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.