- Curvy Wife Guy drops music video for rap song ‘Chubby Sexy’ Friday 7:33 PM
- A ‘Black Mirror’ spinoff mini-series is coming to YouTube via Netflix Latin America Friday 5:56 PM
- Kanye West appears on David Letterman’s Netflix show to talk Trump, TMZ, and Drake Friday 3:27 PM
- QAnon believers link small-town arrest to deep state conspiracy without evidence Friday 1:58 PM
- Instagram photos showing prison conditions spark massive protest Friday 1:33 PM
- ‘Gay rat wedding’ headline sparks amazing new meme Friday 1:03 PM
- ‘I read a gossip piece’ meme mocks Moby’s Instagram post Friday 12:39 PM
- Rotten Tomatoes wants to see your ticket stub to leave a verified review Friday 11:46 AM
- ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ movie delayed to 2020 to fix his look Friday 11:39 AM
- ‘Swamp Thing’ gets off to a promising start, but can it tell a convincing love story? Friday 11:34 AM
- ‘Falling on deaf ears’: ‘Queer Eye’ star sparks conversation about ableist idioms Friday 11:15 AM
- Parents are spending thousands on YouTube camps that teach kids how to be famous Friday 10:43 AM
- In season 2 of ‘She’s Gotta Have It,’ Spike Lee remains unapologetically himself Friday 10:36 AM
- Trump selling Pride shirts is a grotesque insult to the LGBTQ community Friday 10:27 AM
- Logan Paul is being mocked for pulling out of slapping competition Friday 9:57 AM
Starting July 16, the fee for a transaction on the site will rise from 3.5 to 5 percent. The higher fee will apply to shipping costs as well, according to ABC News.
Dear @Etsy I'm so mad at you. Along with many other sellers too.
— ✨Gabby Zapata✨ (@gabbyzapata) June 14, 2018
Sellers tweeted their frustrations over the inflated transaction rate. Many said the change will be forcing them to take their business elsewhere.
Guys I’m getting really disappointed with Etsy… I don’t know if I should move to a different selling platform or only sell on twitter now…
— kim 🦈 (@kkimmyshimmy) June 14, 2018
Oh, good. @etsy is changing their free structure to go from 3.5% to 5% including shipping.
This adds up incredibly fast. I’ve been debating leaving Etsy for a year or two now but I guess they’re finally forcing me to act on it.
— Pam Wishbow (@pamwishbow) June 14, 2018
.@Etsy says they want to “meet the needs of sellers” but they’re upping transaction fees to 5%?! I’m sorry. Etsy fees are already almost crippling.
— Vicstory (@FreudianStitch) June 14, 2018
So @Etsy increased their fees to 5% and announced some dubious pay to play subscription service where you get better service and customization and likely clout. I drive 90% of my traffic so I don't see a reason to idly sit through this.
I already have a website so I'll migrate.
— Kikidoodle & Purrmaids @ Denver cc (@KikiDoodleTweet) June 14, 2018
Disillusioned with Etsy, vendors said they plan to sell their products from their own websites or via Twitter. Others asked or gave recommendations for different third-party sites.
BOUTIQUE OWNERS: Let me know what websites you use! I’ve used Etsy the entire time I’ve had a business, but they just announced they’ll be increasing their fees, charging fees on shipping, AND adding “paid subscriptions” (i.e. you need to pay to be seen) soooo SOS 😫
— 》 𝙺 𝙳 《 (@kdkaiyote) June 14, 2018
Tweets also cautioned customers, warning them of higher prices and the possible exodus of sellers.
Mmmm I just learned Etsy is raising its selling fee and it’s going to start applying to shipping too. Do not be surprised if your favorite Etsy stores raise their prices or shipping prices in July 💀
— Shattered-Earth|FANIME#1112 (@Shattered_Earth) June 14, 2018
If you've bought on Etsy or have an Etsy wishlist… I would suggest going to the sellers you've favorited, checking out their information about where else to find them (personal websites/social media), and supporting them there in case they decide to leave the platform.
— winterTHIRTEEN (@winterthirteen) June 14, 2018
Just a thought about Etsy raising their fees:
PLEASE don't stop supporting artists on Etsy; this doesn't help anyone. There are a lot of people that don't have alternatives right now.
— 🌟Spiral ☄️ FF7 (@spiralofvertigo) June 14, 2018
To some, Etsy’s decision to up fees undermined the company’s values in favor of corporate investment.
5% transaction fees on orders, including the shipping. really @etsy? this is on top of the listing fee we pay per item too. how can you be a proponent of small businesses while doing this to appease investors
— jiayi✨ (@artricahearts) June 14, 2018
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.