- #ICEBae is reportedly a Democrat–and she has some things to get off her chest Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Fans are stoked that Taika Waititi is back to direct ‘Thor 4’ Tuesday 7:22 PM
- Sacha Baron Cohen thanks ‘co-stars’ Dick Cheney, Sarah Palin for making Emmy nominations possible Tuesday 6:43 PM
- Roger Stone barred from posting on all social media platforms Tuesday 6:03 PM
- The FaceApp challenge shows you how gracefully you’ll age Tuesday 5:16 PM
- Kylie Jenner opens up about her mental health in candid Instagram post Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Fans speculate wildly about Naomi Watts’ ‘Game of Thrones’ prequel role after leaked set photo Tuesday 3:54 PM
- New Jersey congressman joins House Democrats ‘Squad’ because of an Onion article Tuesday 3:09 PM
- Twitter begins rolling out new desktop redesign, and users aren’t happy Tuesday 1:54 PM
- Man asks his girlfriend to ‘unlove’ her ex—and people do not agree with him Tuesday 1:37 PM
- Relive a forgotten gem with the TurboGrafx-16 Mini console Tuesday 1:09 PM
- Judge says Daily Stormer founder must pay $14 million for harassing Jewish realtor Tuesday 1:01 PM
- Graphic depiction of suicide cut from Netflix’s ’13 Reasons Why’ Tuesday 12:55 PM
- Streaming titles seize 2019 Emmy nominations Tuesday 12:19 PM
- ‘Frankenstein’s Monster’s Monster, Frankenstein’ tries to find humor in bad actors Tuesday 12:02 PM
Starting July 16, the fee for a transaction on the site will rise from 3.5 to 5 percent. The higher fee will apply to shipping costs as well, according to ABC News.
Dear @Etsy I'm so mad at you. Along with many other sellers too.— ✨Gabby Zapata✨ (@gabbyzapata) June 14, 2018
Sellers tweeted their frustrations over the inflated transaction rate. Many said the change will be forcing them to take their business elsewhere.
Guys I’m getting really disappointed with Etsy... I don’t know if I should move to a different selling platform or only sell on twitter now...— kim 🦈 (@kkimmyshimmy) June 14, 2018
Oh, good. @etsy is changing their free structure to go from 3.5% to 5% including shipping.— Pam Wishbow (@pamwishbow) June 14, 2018
This adds up incredibly fast. I’ve been debating leaving Etsy for a year or two now but I guess they’re finally forcing me to act on it.
.@Etsy says they want to “meet the needs of sellers” but they’re upping transaction fees to 5%?! I’m sorry. Etsy fees are already almost crippling.— Vicstory (@FreudianStitch) June 14, 2018
So @Etsy increased their fees to 5% and announced some dubious pay to play subscription service where you get better service and customization and likely clout. I drive 90% of my traffic so I don't see a reason to idly sit through this.— Kikidoodle & Purrmaids @ Denver cc (@KikiDoodleTweet) June 14, 2018
I already have a website so I'll migrate.
Disillusioned with Etsy, vendors said they plan to sell their products from their own websites or via Twitter. Others asked or gave recommendations for different third-party sites.
BOUTIQUE OWNERS: Let me know what websites you use! I’ve used Etsy the entire time I’ve had a business, but they just announced they’ll be increasing their fees, charging fees on shipping, AND adding “paid subscriptions” (i.e. you need to pay to be seen) soooo SOS 😫— 》 𝙺 𝙳 《 (@kdkaiyote) June 14, 2018
Tweets also cautioned customers, warning them of higher prices and the possible exodus of sellers.
Mmmm I just learned Etsy is raising its selling fee and it’s going to start applying to shipping too. Do not be surprised if your favorite Etsy stores raise their prices or shipping prices in July 💀— Shattered-Earth🔜OTAKON (@Shattered_Earth) June 14, 2018
If you've bought on Etsy or have an Etsy wishlist... I would suggest going to the sellers you've favorited, checking out their information about where else to find them (personal websites/social media), and supporting them there in case they decide to leave the platform.— winterTHIRTEEN (@winterthirteen) June 14, 2018
Just a thought about Etsy raising their fees:— 🌟Spiral ☄️ FF7 (@spiralofvertigo) June 14, 2018
PLEASE don't stop supporting artists on Etsy; this doesn't help anyone. There are a lot of people that don't have alternatives right now.
To some, Etsy’s decision to up fees undermined the company’s values in favor of corporate investment.
5% transaction fees on orders, including the shipping. really @etsy? this is on top of the listing fee we pay per item too. how can you be a proponent of small businesses while doing this to appease investors— jiayi✨ (@artricahearts) June 14, 2018
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.