- Tom Steyer calls for reparations Tuesday 9:05 PM
- Etika mural added as official PokéStop in Pokémon Go Tuesday 8:35 PM
- Debate devolves into candidates shouting ‘math’ at each other Tuesday 8:19 PM
- Bloomberg rolls his eyes when challenged over sexist comments Tuesday 8:18 PM
- Bloomberg almost accidentally claims he ‘bought’ Congress Tuesday 8:03 PM
- ‘Dick Pound’ and ‘Bisexual Men Exist’ trend together–Twitter goes wild Tuesday 7:54 PM
- James Charles receives backlash over ‘racist’ imitation of Latinx TikTok character, Rosa Tuesday 7:06 PM
- Video shows people harassing elderly Asian man while he collects cans Tuesday 6:23 PM
- Bob Iger steps down as Disney CEO, prompting conspiracy theories Tuesday 5:53 PM
- Bhad Bhabie threatens to kill Skai Jackson amid feud involving their moms Tuesday 4:51 PM
- Body camera shows officer boasting about arresting a 6-year-old Tuesday 3:58 PM
- Singer Duffy opens up about the rape, captivity that led her to stop singing Tuesday 3:51 PM
- Cynthia Nixon embodies feminist rage in viral video Tuesday 3:30 PM
- Samsung factory shuts down amid confirmed coronavirus case Tuesday 3:08 PM
- Bebe Rexha says she won’t be ‘imprisoned’ by bipolar disorder Tuesday 2:33 PM
Dating survey concludes that emoji users have more active sex lives
That little winky face is doing more for your sex life than you think.
According to the survey, conducted with the assistance of Dr. Helen Fisher of Rutgers University, 54 percent of singles who used emoji had sex compared to the 31 percent of singles who resisted the urge to use the cheeky ideograms. The survey polled some 5,675 single Americans in their 20s, 30s, and 40s and discovered that the more emoji someone used, the more sex they had.
But emoji usage isn’t just an indication of someone’s sex life. All those smiley faces also serve as barometers of someone’s commitment level. The survey found that 62 percent of emoji users were ready to tie the knot compared to 31 percent for non-emoji users. Perhaps the most intriguing statistic to surface in all the polling? Women who used kiss-related emoji found it easier to achieve orgasm.
Dr. Fisher spoke to Time to offer more insight into what all those animated pictures actually mean:
[Emoji users] want to give their texts more personality. Here we have a new technology that absolutely jeopardizes your ability to express your emotion… there is no more subtle inflection of the voice … and so we have created another way to express emotions and that is the emoji.
So if your bed is feeling a little lonely tonight, text your flirt a few rocketships, winky faces, and kissy faces. If all else fails, just search the Twitter hashtag #eggplantfriday and you’ll likely find a willing sexting partner.
H/T Time | Photo by Greg Seals
Greg Seals is a former social media producer and contributing writer for the Daily Dot. He specializes in creating and covering viral content on platforms that include Tumblr, Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter.