- Is social media normalizing cultural appropriation? 4 Years Ago
- Zoë Kravitz will play Catwoman after being told she was too ‘urban’ for ‘Dark Knight Rises’ Today 6:36 AM
- The 5 best Spike Lee movies Today 5:00 AM
- Jesse Eisenberg and Imogen Poots visit suburban hell in ‘Vivarium’ Today 4:30 AM
- Spoiler-free review: HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ leans into the comic’s political side Today 3:00 AM
- #DogsAgainstBrexit highlights the negative impact of Brexit on pets Monday 7:44 PM
- Congress investigating whether vaping manufacturers used social media bots Monday 6:34 PM
- Influencer accuses Lisa Frank of stealing apartment design, says that’s why she’s getting evicted (updated) Monday 6:12 PM
- Brits are sharing their ‘awfully British Amazon reviews’ on Twitter Monday 4:08 PM
- How to stream Mexico vs. Panama in Concacaf Nations League play Monday 3:38 PM
- How to stream U.S. vs. Canada in the Concacaf Nations League tournament Monday 3:21 PM
- Fortnite’s black hole launches conspiracy theories and memes Monday 3:19 PM
- WeWork pulls phone booths over formaldehyde concerns Monday 3:06 PM
- Mark Zuckerberg is reportedly having private meetings with prominent conservatives Monday 3:03 PM
- Firework is a social video app with a literal twist Monday 2:46 PM
Elian Gonzalez made headlines 15 years ago when he became embroiled in a lengthy custody battle between his relatives in the United States and his father in Cuba. But now, people only care about one thing about a now-21-year-old Elian Gonzalez: He got hot.
You probably remember young Elian looking as he did in the iconic photograph of him being seized from his relatives’ home in Miami by U.S. marshals.
Anyway, now he looks like this:
Gonzalez sat down with ABC News for his first interview as a grown-ass man. And while it was super interesting to hear about his desire to return to the United States, his feelings about U.S./Cuba diplomatic relations, and his recent engagement (congrats to the lucky lady!), the main takeaway for many is that he looks fine as hell.
Following the interview, Gawker ran a post with the headline “Hot Adult Elian Gonzalez Wants To Come to America, Give You Love.” The Internet appears to be echoing that sentiment:
you know, i’m really uncomfortable with calling elian gonzalez hot because he was a child and…oh. wait. never mind. carry on.
— cutesyusername (@cutesytwitname) May 19, 2015
bitch, Elian Gonzalez fine as fuck.
— diabla ❄️. (@themakeupblvd) May 19, 2015
Gonzalez has come a long way since he arrived on the shores of America at the age of 6 after his mother drowned on the journey. After he was returned to his father in Cuba, Gonzalez had a stint in the Young Communist Union of Cuba. Now, he’s getting married, and he even took his first selfie with his bride-to-be.
Gonzalez only wants to return to the states as a tourist, mainly to show his gratitude “to the American people.” “First I say thank you for the love they give me,” he told ABC News. “I want the time to give my love to American people.”
By all means, give us your love, Elian.
elian gonzalez lookin like a coconut popsicle at la paletera on a hot day…
— Jackée Harry Styles (@sexidance) May 18, 2015
Photo via ABC News
Marisa Kabas is a lifestyle reporter and activist. Her work has been published by Fusion, Fast Company, and Today. She’s also served as an editorial campaigns director for Purpose PBC, a social movement incubator.