- Inside the pornographic video game that took Kickstarter by storm 4 Years Ago
- Why everyone wants to debate AOC, and no one wants to debate Ilhan Omar 4 Years Ago
- How to watch the Trvl Channel online for free Today 5:30 AM
- Are we going to get a ‘Community’ movie on Netflix? Sunday 2:46 PM
- Social networking site Ravelry bans all posts that are supportive of Trump and his administration Sunday 2:07 PM
- YouTube is testing hiding its comments section Sunday 1:23 PM
- Think you have what it takes to be Beyoncé’s assistant for the day? Sunday 1:02 PM
- Facebook co-founder warns against Libra, the company’s new cryptocurrency Sunday 12:04 PM
- Missing YouTuber Etika’s belongings found alongside bridge Sunday 9:16 AM
- What is #sayfie and why do Floridians use it so much? Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to watch WWE Stomping Grounds for free Sunday 6:00 AM
- Trump tweets nightmarish video of himself being president ‘4EVA’ Saturday 3:15 PM
- The internet cannot believe how this zoo conducts its ‘escaped lion drill’ Saturday 1:39 PM
- Spotify wants to take back money from ‘overpaid’ songwriters, publishers Saturday 12:35 PM
- Mac from ‘It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia’ finally got to play catch with Chase Utley Saturday 11:23 AM
The Internet is swooning over the sad story behind an eBay wedding dress
“I wish any lady who takes this dress to have a life with her loved one, 56 years like I did, happy years.”
“I wish any lady who takes this dress to have a life with her loved one, 56 years like I did, happy years,” reads the note. “I was a lucky man to marry a lady like mine.”
The dress (and note) turned up at a store that supports St. Gemma’s Hospice, which provides care for medical patients suffering from cancer and other terminal illnesses. The note generated all kinds of local interest, so the hospice put the dress on eBay to make it available around the world. It worked, and now the beautiful lace wedding dress has gone viral.
“Overall this dress is in great condition for its age,” the item description reads. “There are no visible holes or tears in the fabric and there is no apparent discoloration[…] There is a large stain on the bottom layer of the skirt, however this is again not visible when the netting is over the top.”
The mystery donor wants to remain anonymous, but he is “over the moon” that the wedding dress is on eBay.
“He is a big fan of St Gemma’s Hospice and is overwhelmed with the international attention that his late wife’s dress is generating,” reads a Facebook post by the hospice. “He is so happy and proud that the hospice will benefit from funds raised by the auction of the dress […] We have thanked him so much for his kindness and he would like to thank everyone for their support.”
The bidding for the dress is currently at £550, or $852. Proceeds will be donated to the St. Gemma’s Hospice charity.
Dylan Love is an editorial consultant and journalist whose reporting interests include emergent technology, digital media, and Russian language and culture. He is a former staff writer for the Daily Dot, and his work has been published by Business Insider, International Business Times, Men's Journal, and the Next Web.