- Gabrielle Union deserves better from Terry Crews Tuesday 11:12 PM
- T.I. publicly apologizes to daughters after Kobe Bryant’s death Tuesday 8:46 PM
- ‘Squash the boss’: Labor union seemingly unknowingly posted furry fetish art Tuesday 8:04 PM
- TikTok user pretending to be lab technician who has contracted coronavirus Tuesday 7:08 PM
- Caroline Calloway says she plans to campaign for Bernie Sanders Tuesday 6:23 PM
- Justin Bieber, Snoop Dogg, millions of others sign petition to make Kobe Bryant new NBA logo Tuesday 5:39 PM
- No, Lana Del Rey did not cry because Billie Eilish won album of the year Tuesday 4:48 PM
- People are exposing their eyeballs to phone flash for this TikTok challenge Tuesday 3:55 PM
- Watch Mike Bloomberg try to shake a dog’s mouth Tuesday 3:41 PM
- ‘Rey who?’ is the funniest meme to emerge from ‘The Rise of Skywalker’ Tuesday 3:30 PM
- AI beat the CDC to the punch on coronavirus warnings Tuesday 3:21 PM
- What exactly is a ‘large boulder the size of a small boulder’? Tuesday 2:49 PM
- Mom of ‘Success Kid’ says Steve King can’t use her son’s meme for ‘repulsive’ campaign Tuesday 2:00 PM
- Jake Paul can’t escape Logan Paul’s shadow—even if that loyalty has hurt his career Tuesday 1:13 PM
- Kobe Bryant’s Oscar-winning ‘Dear Basketball’ is now available to stream for free (updated) Tuesday 12:21 PM
Drake Bell, Timbaland tweet transphobic remarks at Caitlyn Jenner
Celebs are weighing in from all corners on Jenner’s historic day.
Olympic legend and reality television star Caitlyn Jenner attacked the national conversation about transgender issues on Monday with a Vanity Fair photoshoot. The day has since proved itself the perfect storm for revealing gaffes—from naive blunders to aggressive prejudice.
To that end, celebrities like Nickelodeon star Drake Bell and hip-hop producer Timbaland made splashes late Monday with controversial, hate-stirring social media updates. Both played on the same notes of forced logic: Jenner was born a man, and so she should be addressed as one.
As someone pointed out to Timbaland in the comments, there’s irony in Timbaland refusing to acknowledge Jenner’s name change given that he was born “Timothy Zachery Mosley” and not “Timbaland.”
For Bell’s part, he tried to backtrack his statement with a follow-up tweet: “I’m not dissing him! I just don’t want to forget his legacy! He is the greatest athlete of all time! Chill out!” Both have since been deleted.
Elsewhere, public reaction from celebrities with vast numbers of followers has been overwhelmingly positive.
Photo via manarianz5/Flickr (CC BY SA 2.0) | Remix by Fernando Alfonso III
Ramon Ramirez is the news director, and formerly the Dot's entertainment editor and evening editor. His work has appeared in the Washington Post, Grantland, Washington City Paper, Austin American-Statesman, and Austin Monitor.