- How to stream NFL Sunday Ticket without DirecTV Today 5:00 AM
- How to watch Arizona State vs. Utah Today 4:00 AM
- How to watch Michigan vs. Penn State Today 4:00 AM
- How to watch Florida vs. South Carolina Today 4:00 AM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Crystal Palace Today 1:00 AM
- How to stream Tottenham Hotspur vs. Watford Friday 9:00 PM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Eibar Friday 6:00 PM
- How to stream ‘Bigfoot’ Silva vs. Gabriel Gonzaga in BKFC Friday 6:00 PM
- Demi Lovato’s nude photos allegedly leaked on Snapchat Friday 3:07 PM
- NBA TV is the new streaming service for basketball fanatics Friday 3:02 PM
- California residents will get cell phone alerts seconds before earthquakes Friday 2:29 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. RCD Mallorca Friday 2:00 PM
- Trump accused of ‘using the language of ethnic cleansing’ regarding Kurds Friday 1:42 PM
- Hillary Clinton also thinks Tulsi Gabbard is a Russian bot Friday 1:13 PM
- TikTok girls dancing to voicemails from sh*tty exes is a vibe Friday 12:34 PM
You’d never guess this awesome drummer is playing from a wheelchair
Dean Zimmer will drum you under the table any day of the week.
Dean Zimmer’s band has opened for some pretty big names: Foghat, Styx, Thin Lizzy, Eddie Money. If you were in the back of the crowd at any one of those shows, you surely wouldn’t have noticed anything special about Zimmer—except that he was one damn good drummer.
But Zimmer was born with arthrogryposis, a rare congenital birth defect that severely restricts the joint movement in his extremities. He’ll never be able to walk properly, condemned to spend his days in a wheelchair. And he can drum you under the table any day of the week.
A recent YouTube short about Zimmern by filmmakers Ross Harris and Stanley Gonzalez,
has taken him from rock cult legend to Internet superstar, thanks to a trip to Reddit’s front page.
Zimmer’s strong work ethic has earned him the praise of fellow musicians. Among them are Gregg Bissonette, touring drummer for Ringo Starr’s All Starr Band: “He’s really a musical drummer. a lot of people can play fast and show boat, but being musical, that’s something that [he’s] got a great ear for.”
Since it was first posted on Aug. 12, the six-minute musical video has been viewed more than 300,000 times and has spread on various social media platforms. On Reddit, Zimmer’s story has jumped to the front page of r/music, receiving more than 2,800 points and hundreds of comments praising him for his perseverance. Well, that, and his awesome powder blue van with the the teardrop windows.
Photo via Ross Harris and Stanley Gonzales/YouTube
Fidel Martinez is a web culture and politics reporter. His work for the Daily Dot focused on Reddit and YouTube.