- Tom Steyer calls for reparations Tuesday 9:05 PM
- Etika mural added as official PokéStop in Pokémon Go Tuesday 8:35 PM
- Debate devolves into candidates shouting ‘math’ at each other Tuesday 8:19 PM
- Bloomberg rolls his eyes when challenged over sexist comments Tuesday 8:18 PM
- Bloomberg almost accidentally claims he ‘bought’ Congress Tuesday 8:03 PM
- ‘Dick Pound’ and ‘Bisexual Men Exist’ trend together–Twitter goes wild Tuesday 7:54 PM
- James Charles receives backlash over ‘racist’ imitation of Latinx TikTok character, Rosa Tuesday 7:06 PM
- Video shows people harassing elderly Asian man while he collects cans Tuesday 6:23 PM
- Bob Iger steps down as Disney CEO, prompting conspiracy theories Tuesday 5:53 PM
- Bhad Bhabie threatens to kill Skai Jackson amid feud involving their moms Tuesday 4:51 PM
- Body camera shows officer boasting about arresting a 6-year-old Tuesday 3:58 PM
- Singer Duffy opens up about the rape, captivity that led her to stop singing Tuesday 3:51 PM
- Cynthia Nixon embodies feminist rage in viral video Tuesday 3:30 PM
- Samsung factory shuts down amid confirmed coronavirus case Tuesday 3:08 PM
- Bebe Rexha says she won’t be ‘imprisoned’ by bipolar disorder Tuesday 2:33 PM
You’d never guess this awesome drummer is playing from a wheelchair
Dean Zimmer will drum you under the table any day of the week.
Dean Zimmer’s band has opened for some pretty big names: Foghat, Styx, Thin Lizzy, Eddie Money. If you were in the back of the crowd at any one of those shows, you surely wouldn’t have noticed anything special about Zimmer—except that he was one damn good drummer.
But Zimmer was born with arthrogryposis, a rare congenital birth defect that severely restricts the joint movement in his extremities. He’ll never be able to walk properly, condemned to spend his days in a wheelchair. And he can drum you under the table any day of the week.
A recent YouTube short about Zimmern by filmmakers Ross Harris and Stanley Gonzalez,
has taken him from rock cult legend to Internet superstar, thanks to a trip to Reddit’s front page.
Zimmer’s strong work ethic has earned him the praise of fellow musicians. Among them are Gregg Bissonette, touring drummer for Ringo Starr’s All Starr Band: “He’s really a musical drummer. a lot of people can play fast and show boat, but being musical, that’s something that [he’s] got a great ear for.”
Since it was first posted on Aug. 12, the six-minute musical video has been viewed more than 300,000 times and has spread on various social media platforms. On Reddit, Zimmer’s story has jumped to the front page of r/music, receiving more than 2,800 points and hundreds of comments praising him for his perseverance. Well, that, and his awesome powder blue van with the the teardrop windows.
Photo via Ross Harris and Stanley Gonzales/YouTube
Fidel Martinez is a web culture and politics reporter. His work for the Daily Dot focused on Reddit and YouTube.