- ‘Dear White People’ season 3 reflects the exhaustion of the times—for better or for worse 4 Years Ago
- ‘Seinfeld’ and ‘Friends’ fans feud over which sitcom is better 4 Years Ago
- Anti-abortion centers are getting around Google’s misinformation policy 4 Years Ago
- Twitter, Facebook remove Chinese accounts spreading Hong Kong misinformation 4 Years Ago
- ‘Mindhunter’ season 2 offers no happy endings 4 Years Ago
- How to watch ‘The Righteous Gemstones’ online Today 3:03 PM
- ‘Mindhunter’ season 2 brings out the memes Today 2:59 PM
- Rumor suggests the X-Men might battle the Avengers on-screen Today 2:54 PM
- The CDC is investigating cases of severe lung damage linked to vaping Today 2:08 PM
- How to stream the 49ers vs. Broncos on (preseason) Monday Night Football Today 1:24 PM
- Trump thinks Google made 16 million people vote for Clinton Today 12:54 PM
- Danny McBride’s ‘The Righteous Gemstones’ is a wicked televangelist comedy Today 12:46 PM
- Facebook-branded coffee shops are coming Today 12:36 PM
- Twitter hosts China-backed ads maligning Hong Kong protesters Today 12:27 PM
- Jason Momoa says the ‘Justice League’ Snyder cut is ‘ssssiiicccckkkkkk’ Today 12:06 PM
Is this cat going up or down a flight of stairs?
It’s a visual enigma—and it’s adorable.
Optical illusions are multiplying on the Internet, and increasingly, we don’t know what to believe.
It began with “the Dress,” which was clearly blue and black. (Or was it white and gold?) But the latest magic trick for your eyeballs is even better suited to the viral Internet—because it involves a cat.
Look at this picture of a cat and see if you can figure out whether it is ascending or descending the stairs.
Our initial reaction was definitely that the cat was going down the staircase. But the more we look at it, the more we can see it both ways.
In the interest of ending on a lighthearted and thoroughly uncomplicated note, here is a video of a different cat that is definitely going down a flight of stairs.
H/T Mirror | Photo via greyloch/Flickr (CC BY 2.0)
Dylan Love is an editorial consultant and journalist whose reporting interests include emergent technology, digital media, and Russian language and culture. He is a former staff writer for the Daily Dot, and his work has been published by Business Insider, International Business Times, Men's Journal, and the Next Web.