- ‘Watchmen’ delivers a surprisingly conventional superhero finale Sunday 10:11 PM
- Facebook ads are spreading misinformation about HIV Sunday 10:11 PM
- Military investigates students’ suspected white power hand signs at football game Sunday 9:41 PM
- North Carolina man allegedly stole $88K then posted it on Instagram Sunday 8:34 PM
- People are pissed a CGI influencer said she was sexually assaulted Sunday 4:56 PM
- BTS’ RM says he’s lost 33 AirPods Sunday 3:59 PM
- Taylor Swift’s ‘hyper-realistic’ cat cake is scaring fans Sunday 3:03 PM
- Nick Cannon is reportedly playing his Eminem diss track on repeat Sunday 1:20 PM
- College quarterback blasted by ex-girlfriend in savage AF breakup TikTok Sunday 12:27 PM
- Hallmark pulls ad featuring lesbian couple after conservative protest Sunday 11:27 AM
- Actress’ tweet calling out fellow passenger for not moving seats backfires Sunday 10:43 AM
- The 10 most influential hashtags of the decade Sunday 6:30 AM
- A lonely grandma sought family to spend Christmas with on Craigslist Saturday 5:45 PM
- Airbnb bans white supremacists tied to Iron March forum Saturday 5:07 PM
- Did a Twitter user really get tricked into naming baby ‘Jack Ingof’? Saturday 4:46 PM
Is this cat going up or down a flight of stairs?
It’s a visual enigma—and it’s adorable.
Optical illusions are multiplying on the Internet, and increasingly, we don’t know what to believe.
It began with “the Dress,” which was clearly blue and black. (Or was it white and gold?) But the latest magic trick for your eyeballs is even better suited to the viral Internet—because it involves a cat.
Look at this picture of a cat and see if you can figure out whether it is ascending or descending the stairs.
Our initial reaction was definitely that the cat was going down the staircase. But the more we look at it, the more we can see it both ways.
In the interest of ending on a lighthearted and thoroughly uncomplicated note, here is a video of a different cat that is definitely going down a flight of stairs.
H/T Mirror | Photo via greyloch/Flickr (CC BY 2.0)
Dylan Love is an editorial consultant and journalist whose reporting interests include emergent technology, digital media, and Russian language and culture. He is a former staff writer for the Daily Dot, and his work has been published by Business Insider, International Business Times, Men's Journal, and the Next Web.