- ‘American Dirt’ controversy inspires meme about Latinx stereotypes in literature Wednesday 9:02 PM
- What is the TikTok ‘flex challenge’? Wednesday 8:03 PM
- GoFundMe to send ‘Target Tori’ on vacation raises more than $30K Wednesday 6:54 PM
- Furries stop domestic assault in viral video Wednesday 6:10 PM
- Gritty under police investigation for allegedly punching a teen fan Wednesday 6:04 PM
- Twitter users throw animal parties with emoji in new meme Wednesday 5:21 PM
- Woman who went viral supporting Soleimani killing exposed as Libyan militia lobbyist Wednesday 5:01 PM
- Jeff Bezos subtweets Saudi prince following phone hack report Wednesday 3:29 PM
- ‘Yeah, good. OK’ Bernie Sanders meme is a new way to dismiss people Wednesday 3:10 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: Petty displays of affection Wednesday 2:12 PM
- Makeup artist transforms into Timothée Chalamet on TikTok Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Iguanas are falling from trees—and people are selling them online for food Wednesday 1:02 PM
- 75,000 sign petition to fire Wendy Williams after ‘cleft lip’ comment about Joaquin Phoenix Wednesday 12:30 PM
- Kim Kardashian says Kylie Jenner’s setting spray is ‘cheap sh*t’ Wednesday 11:59 AM
- Trump continues to demand Apple unlock iPhones for the government Wednesday 11:46 AM
Norwegian 7-year-old does an amazing impression of Billie Holiday
Her take on Lady Day’s ‘Gloomy Sunday’ will send shivers down your spine.
Precocious kids imitating celebrities on talent shows is nothing new. There was 16-year-old Luke Lucas, who did a spot-on impression of young Michael Jackson on the British X Factor. There was Lin Yu Chun, the Taiwanese teen who appeared on Ellen with his rousing rendition of “I Will Always Love You.”
But these dudes have nothing on 7-year-old Angelina Jordan, a mini-Amy Winehouse on Norway’s Got Talent who blew judges away with her eerily accurate yet amazing take on Billie Holiday’s “Gloomy Sunday.”
Angelina’s performance (though I’d be more inclined to call it a séance) starts around the 40-second mark:
What’s so astounding about Jordan’s performance isn’t her range nor her technical vocal ability, although both are impressive given her age. It’s her uncanny ability to capture Holiday’s style: the impeccable phrasing, the frail yet commanding presence, the raspy, whiskey-soaked delivery. She sounds less like a 7-year-old and more like a jaded, middle-aged woman at a bar, blowing smoke in your face while telling you about all the rotten men in her life.
Angelina’s ability to mimic Lady Day seems to stem from a lifelong love of old-school jazz vocalists. In an interview with Norway’s TV2, she says she’s been taking voice lessons for four years, and lists Julie London, Nancy Sinatra, and Shirley Bassey as her favorite artists. Great taste. Cute kid. Unbelievable voice.
H/T Reddit | Screengrab via Movie Clips/YouTube
EJ Dickson is a writer and editor who primarily covers sex, dating, and relationships, with a special focus on the intersection of intimacy and technology. She served as the Daily Dot’s IRL editor from January 2014 to July 2015. Her work has since appeared in the New York Times, Rolling Stone, Mic, Bustle, Romper, and Men’s Health.