- We have a lot of questions about this woman’s Hot Cheetos bath 8 Years Ago
- Convincing deepfake drops Neo from ‘The Matrix’ straight into ‘Office Space’ 8 Years Ago
- Kent State gun girl calls for armed insurrection after being booed off campus Today 10:27 AM
- James Charles and Tfue took an intimate photo—and the internet is in love Today 10:07 AM
- Ring finally makes two-factor authentication mandatory after series of hacks Today 9:39 AM
- The 2020 guide to live TV streaming for cord cutters Today 8:29 AM
- Popular dating app Growlr just suspended its users Today 8:23 AM
- Apple warns coronavirus expected to cause iPhone ‘supply shortages’ Monday 7:59 PM
- Will ‘The Bachelor’ end without an engagement? Monday 7:44 PM
- This ‘Little Women’ scene just became a meme Monday 7:03 PM
- Playable version of Blizzard’s ‘StarCraft: Ghost’ leaks online nearly 15 years after cancelation Monday 6:31 PM
- This Twitter extension can block unsolicited nudes from your inbox Monday 6:01 PM
- Jeffree Star wears cornrows after being accused of cultural appropriation Monday 4:49 PM
- Jeff Bezos says he’ll commit $10 billion to combat climate change Monday 4:18 PM
- A TikTok user went on a mission to turn his urine blue by chugging food coloring Monday 3:55 PM
12 dead in shooting at Aurora, Colo., theater
A shooter opened fire on theatergoers during a midnight premiere of The Dark Knight Rises.
Twelve people are confirmed dead and 50 others have been wounded during a midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises in Aurora, Colo., early Friday, according to authorities.
Police have identified the shooter as 24-year-old James Holmes and told reporters that he was not associated with any terrorist organization. Police spokesperson Frank Fania told CNN that Holmes did not put up a fight.
Witnesses said that he came into the front of the theater, threw a smoke bomb, and shot the ceiling. Many witnesses initially thought that it was part of the movie because the shooting started in the middle of a shootout scene in the movie.
“Everyone’s going for the door and then everyone starts saying, ‘no, he’s going to shoot people going for the door, and he did,” witness Jennifer Seeger told TODAY. “They’re trying to escape, and he shot those at well.”
Ten people died at the scene, and the injured were taken to nearby hospitals, where two more people were pronounced dead. Children as young as 3 months were taken to the hospital. The Denver Post has an updated photo gallery of the shooting aftermath.
Many eyewitnesses took to the Web to report on the shooting and let family and friends know when they’re okay. Caitlin was in the same theater in which the shooting occurred.
“Oh God, I don’t know what to do,” she tweeted. Her friend is MIA, and she still hasn’t been able to find him.
“Raw video of the aftermath of the shooting at the Century 16 in Aurora Shooting i people shot,” Esteban L. Hernandez tweeted. He outside the theater when the shooting occurred.
(Warning: The video below is graphic.)
One eyewitness aggregated the news updates into a timeline on Reddit.
In a statement, President Barack Obama said his “administration will do everything that we can to support the people of Aurora in this extraordinarily difficult time.” The investigation into the shooting is still ongoing.
Photo via YouTube
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.