- Thousands of Uber users have reported sexual assaults, company says Friday 5:40 PM
- ‘Astronomy Club’ reformats the sketch show Friday 4:58 PM
- Trump is concerned America’s toilets too weak Friday 3:53 PM
- Twitter users claim Billie Eilish is ‘over’ because she didn’t like Lady Gaga’s meat dress Friday 2:53 PM
- Nikki Haley says the Confederate flag was fine until Dylann Roof ‘hijacked’ it Friday 2:49 PM
- How emotional labor discourse spawned multiple memes Friday 2:22 PM
- Video of YouTuber Onision threatening ex-girlfriend resurfaces Friday 2:03 PM
- Marianne Williamson embraces anti-vax stance on Facebook Friday 1:58 PM
- Peloton Husband is worried memes will have ‘repercussions’ for his career Friday 1:55 PM
- ‘The Mandalorian’ stumbles as it returns to a familiar planet Friday 1:47 PM
- The best app controlled Christmas lights for the holidays Friday 1:04 PM
- Go green and save green with solar-powered Christmas lights Friday 1:02 PM
- Bloomberg on diversity in 2020 race: ‘Don’t complain to me’ Friday 12:40 PM
- Midge flaunts the worst side of herself in ‘Marvelous Mrs. Maisel’ season 3 Friday 12:17 PM
- Social media companies continue to fail to police fake behavior, study finds Friday 10:44 AM
Anthony Weiner has been caught in sexting scandals numerous times in his political career, but so far, it’s always been with other consenting adults. However, in an exclusive with the Daily Mail, a 15-year-old girl claims she engaged in a months-long relationship with Weiner, and that he was fully aware of her age.
Photos and text messages obtained by the Daily Mail detail Weiner telling the girl that he was “hard” thinking about her, describing sexual fantasies that included rape, and encouraging her to masturbate over video chat. Their communication was done over apps like Skype, Facebook, Kik, and Confide.
In response to the accusations, Weiner told the Daily Mail, “I have repeatedly demonstrated terrible judgment about the people I have communicated with online and the things I have sent.”
But as many point out online, his actions exceed “terrible judgment” and qualify as predatory, even pedophiliac.
1) Anthony Weiner is a predator
2) This has NOTHING to do with Hillary
3) My uncle was a crack addict. Doesn’t mean I am.
Get stuffed, GOP
— Brooke (@Brooke_Cale) September 21, 2016
Others seem to have Weiner-scandal fatigue.
Whenever Anthony Weiner is trending, it’s never good news…
— #NeverHillary (@ScottPresler) September 21, 2016
Weiner’s wife and Hillary Clinton aide, Huma Abedin, announced their separation during his last sexting controversy in August, which included her husband sending pics of his pants’ bulge alongside their infant son to an unnamed woman. While the end of his marriage and political career seemed like justice enough for Weiner, allegedly soliciting sex from a minor could land him in jail.
It remains unclear if the teenager has spoken to authorities about the sext exchanges.
Jaya Saxena is a lifestyle writer and editor whose work focuses primarily on women's issues and web culture. Her writing has appeared in GQ, ELLE, the Toast, the New Yorker, Tthe Hairpin, BuzzFeed, Racked, Eater, Catapult, and others. She is the co-author of 'Dad Magazine,' the author of 'The Book Of Lost Recipes,' and the co-author of 'Basic Witches.'