- Meet ByteDance, the Chinese tech company behind TikTok 7 Years Ago
- Everything you need to know about investing app Robinhood 7 Years Ago
- How to stream 49ers vs. Seahawks on Monday Night Football Today 1:43 PM
- Cops cuff Black man for eating sandwich on subway platform Today 1:29 PM
- Drake booed offstage by Frank Ocean fans Today 1:17 PM
- Trump says he’s meeting with vaping industry as administration readies new rules Today 12:42 PM
- Everything you need to know about Google Reverse Image Search Today 12:29 PM
- Hong Kong police caught on live stream shooting protester Today 12:26 PM
- Twitter proposes adding warnings to tweets with deepfakes Today 10:43 AM
- Dak Prescott’s pregame warmup becomes an instant meme Today 10:40 AM
- lhan Omar baselessly accused of anti-Semitism for billionaires tweet Today 10:15 AM
- Tulsi Gabbard wants Hillary Clinton to retract her Russia accusations Today 9:24 AM
- 21 stoner gift ideas that don’t involve buying weed Today 9:13 AM
- PayPal and Venmo’s anti-terrorism regulations are causing headaches for average businesses Today 9:06 AM
- Consumers claim the Apple Card is sexist Today 8:44 AM
4chan massacre threat shuts down high school
4chan administators told police the threatening post originated in Sweden.
A threat posted to imageboard 4chan closed a Washington State high school Thursday.
The threat was posted to site’s infamous random imageboard /b/ by an anonymous user who promised to take his fathers submachine gun to Skyline High School in Sammamish and “open fire on the people in the commons until I am taken down by our schools police officer, or until I run out of mags.”
Yet despite Reddit’s skepticism, the rumor of a threat was enough to close the school Thursday while the FBI assisted the King County Sheriff’s Department in their investigation.
4chan administrators told authorities that the threat originated on a server in Sweden, the Seattle Times reported.
“Apparently that can be a proxy server used to cover up or keep someone from revealing their identity,” King County Sheriff Steve Strachan told the Times. “This is not a teenage prank. This is an extremely serious crime. After Columbine something like this is something we take extremely seriously.”
In April, Meadowdale High School in Lynnwood, Wash., was also shut down after it received an online threat. Authorities are investigating any possible connections between the two threats.
Skyline High School was reopened today.
Photo by jenlight/Flickr
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.