- Facial oils: Why you need them in your winter skincare routine 7 Years Ago
- Father of mega-popular Ace Family YouTube channel accused of rape Today 1:59 PM
- This Italian town ‘banned’ Google Maps after people kept getting lost Today 1:31 PM
- Fornite emerges from black hole with Chapter 2 Today 1:21 PM
- Everything Google announced at today’s Pixel event Today 1:12 PM
- Netflix sued over line about interrogation technique in ‘When They See Us’ Today 12:52 PM
- Twitch streamer says racist trolls got her banned for ‘suggestive’ outfit Today 12:47 PM
- Everything you need to know about Google’s new Pixel phones Today 12:47 PM
- ‘Portrait of a Lady on Fire’ is a transcendent, lesbian period romance Today 12:32 PM
- Where to stream ‘Zombieland’ before ‘Double Tap’ comes out Today 12:04 PM
- ‘Deadpool’ screenwriter says that Disney sequel will still be R-rated Today 11:45 AM
- #DeleteFacebook trends amid report of Zuckerberg meeting with prominent conservatives Today 11:45 AM
- The Pixelbook Go is Google’s first attempt at a mid-range Chromebook Today 11:33 AM
- All the games coming to Google Stadia Today 10:49 AM
- Google just announced a line of Nest-branded smart home products Today 10:36 AM
4chan massacre threat shuts down high school
4chan administators told police the threatening post originated in Sweden.
A threat posted to imageboard 4chan closed a Washington State high school Thursday.
The threat was posted to site’s infamous random imageboard /b/ by an anonymous user who promised to take his fathers submachine gun to Skyline High School in Sammamish and “open fire on the people in the commons until I am taken down by our schools police officer, or until I run out of mags.”
Yet despite Reddit’s skepticism, the rumor of a threat was enough to close the school Thursday while the FBI assisted the King County Sheriff’s Department in their investigation.
4chan administrators told authorities that the threat originated on a server in Sweden, the Seattle Times reported.
“Apparently that can be a proxy server used to cover up or keep someone from revealing their identity,” King County Sheriff Steve Strachan told the Times. “This is not a teenage prank. This is an extremely serious crime. After Columbine something like this is something we take extremely seriously.”
In April, Meadowdale High School in Lynnwood, Wash., was also shut down after it received an online threat. Authorities are investigating any possible connections between the two threats.
Skyline High School was reopened today.
Photo by jenlight/Flickr
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.