- Viral graphic shows the moment Apple became the top brand 6 Years Ago
- Jake Paul calls out KSI for a YouTube boxing match Today 11:31 AM
- This elementary school made students play ‘runaway slave’ Today 11:20 AM
- ‘Captain Marvel’ is already a box office hit Today 11:06 AM
- This ‘buff bunny vs. small bunny’ meme is here for when you’re feeling inferior Today 10:53 AM
- Ocasio-Cortez slams trolls who come at her with ‘weak’ memes Today 10:52 AM
- YouTube just made it awfully easy to harass creators Today 10:16 AM
- Report: Trump the only 2020 contender who won’t rule out using stolen data Today 9:01 AM
- House Republicans offer bipartisan net neutrality bill—but there’s a catch Today 8:30 AM
- This Loki meme is the new way to play dumb Today 7:30 AM
- Mark Duplass and Ray Romano transcend the typical bromance in ‘Paddleton’ Today 7:00 AM
- 15 new thrillers on Netflix you need to see Today 7:00 AM
- Indie horror movie ‘The Hole in the Ground’ is legit terrifying Today 6:40 AM
- Every Apex Legends character, ranked Today 6:00 AM
- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ delivers a powerfully political episode Thursday 8:30 PM
4chan administators told police the threatening post originated in Sweden.
A threat posted to imageboard 4chan closed a Washington State high school Thursday.
The threat was posted to site’s infamous random imageboard /b/ by an anonymous user who promised to take his fathers submachine gun to Skyline High School in Sammamish and “open fire on the people in the commons until I am taken down by our schools police officer, or until I run out of mags.”
Yet despite Reddit’s skepticism, the rumor of a threat was enough to close the school Thursday while the FBI assisted the King County Sheriff’s Department in their investigation.
4chan administrators told authorities that the threat originated on a server in Sweden, the Seattle Times reported.
“Apparently that can be a proxy server used to cover up or keep someone from revealing their identity,” King County Sheriff Steve Strachan told the Times. “This is not a teenage prank. This is an extremely serious crime. After Columbine something like this is something we take extremely seriously.”
In April, Meadowdale High School in Lynnwood, Wash., was also shut down after it received an online threat. Authorities are investigating any possible connections between the two threats.
Skyline High School was reopened today.
Photo by jenlight/Flickr
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.