- Seed University might actually be the first good influencer school Tuesday 9:35 PM
- Black couple says they were accused of stealing during marriage proposal Tuesday 6:57 PM
- How to live stream Robert Mueller’s testimony Tuesday 6:00 PM
- ‘MAGA Bomber’ believed that antifa was trying to murder Papa John’s employees Tuesday 5:23 PM
- Forever 21 under fire for sending Atkins diet bars with online orders Tuesday 4:56 PM
- Apple denies boosting its own apps in App Store Tuesday 4:25 PM
- The new Overwatch hero is a naked foot enthusiast, apparently Tuesday 4:19 PM
- Bella Thorne comes out as pansexual Tuesday 3:17 PM
- Macy’s pulls portion-control plates after social media uproar Tuesday 2:59 PM
- John Oliver confirms the internet’s suspicions about that ‘Lion King’ cast photo Tuesday 2:14 PM
- Report: Fake Libra accounts rampant on Facebook, Instagram Tuesday 2:10 PM
- Tennessee neighbors form human chain to help father and son escape ICE Tuesday 1:57 PM
- Google settled two multi-million dollar lawsuits this week Tuesday 1:26 PM
- How to live stream Guadalajara vs. Atletico Madrid Tuesday 12:47 PM
- Forget Area 51—People are planning to storm the Bermuda Triangle Tuesday 12:41 PM
Italian Tesla owners break the all-time record for miles on a single charge
You won’t believe how slow they had to drive to break it.
A group of Italian Tesla owners just notched an impressive record in the history of the high-performance electric sports car. Driving a Tesla Model S 100D this week, they traveled 1,078 kilometers—or 669.83 miles, as the group noted on its Twitter account—on a single battery charge.
That’s the furthest anyone’s ever made it in an electric vehicle on just one charge. Tesla founder and CEO Elon Musk saluted the drivers in a tweet on Saturday, stating that the record had been “officially verified.” Musk, 46, co-founded Tesla in 2003, and the company has sold more than 200,000 cars during that time.
Officially verified as the first production electric car to exceed 1000km on a single charge! Congratulations Tesla Owners Italia!! https://t.co/r8fFZIFEP2— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) August 5, 2017
By all accounts, this new mileage record did not come easily. In order to pace out the amount of charge in the car’s battery, which is typically good for 335 miles per charge, the car in question was likely driven for a span of 29 hours at around 23 mph, according to analysis by Electrek. That’s an incredibly charge-efficient speed, although it’s not exactly time-efficient.
That said, as a feat of driving and of pushing the technology past its stated limits, it’s a very impressive achievement. At a final distance of just shy of 670 miles driven, Tesla Owners Italia managed to almost perfectly double the projected range of the car. According to Inverse, the previous record was a mere 560 miles.
Chris Tognotti is a frequent contributor for the Daily Dot. He’s a news and current events writer based out of Berkeley, California, and a co-host of the podcast Now We Know. While he specializes in domestic politics and opinion writing, he’s also savvy on sports, video games, and film.