- The 5 most important conclusions from Robert Mueller’s report 5 Years Ago
- Facebook bans many of the U.K.’s infamous far-right groups Today 1:15 PM
- Cersei and Tyrion Lannister learned about respect from Elmo Today 12:57 PM
- The Mueller Report includes a footnote about the pee tape Today 12:08 PM
- Trump at the start of Mueller investigation: ‘I’m f*cked’ Today 11:19 AM
- Joe Rogan’s podcast has a serious women problem Today 11:10 AM
- The best Mother’s Day gifts for every budget Today 11:04 AM
- Dog watches the digging of its own grave—and Twitter is shook Today 10:30 AM
- Why Marvel changed the way we think about movie franchises Today 10:28 AM
- 13 thoughtful Mother’s Day gifts to fully pamper mom Today 10:00 AM
- George Zimmerman is looking for ‘carefree fun’ on Tinder (updated) Today 9:54 AM
- Trump responds with a ‘Game of Thrones’ meme to the Mueller report Today 9:43 AM
- A new tool lets you track candidate spending on Facebook—and Trump is crushing Democrats Today 8:59 AM
- George Lucas helped direct ‘Game of Thrones’—and he’s not a Jon Snow fan Today 8:05 AM
- Conspiracy theorists got me suspended from Twitter—and now I understand them better Today 7:29 AM
Tonight SpaceX will unveil its first manned spaceship, the Dragon V2
Is this what the future of space exploration will look like?
SpaceX will unveil the design for the Dragon V2, its first manned spaceship, tonight during a webcast at 10pm. The satellite is intended to carry astronauts to the International Space Station, where SpaceX has already made trips to deliver cargo with the first edition of the Dragon capsule.
Elon Musk, the CEO of SpaceX, who also runs the electric car company Tesla in his free time, envisions SpaceX as the replacement for NASA’s defunded space program. The U.S. has become dependant on the Russian space program to carry its astronauts to the International Space Station, but with the recent crisis in Ukraine, the U.S.-Russian relationship has been strained. The U.S. pays Russia $60 million per astronaut to send them to the International Space Station.
Russia has made known it plans to abandon the International Space Station in 2020, four years before funding from the coalition of nations that run the station is scheduled to end. The Dragon V2 spaceship has been funded partially by NASA’s Commercial Crew Program, whose goal is to get a private American shuttle in orbit by 2017.
So tune in tonight if you want to get a glimpse at the very probable future of space exploration.
Micah Singleton is a former technology and culture reporter of the Daily Dot and a former staff writer at Gizmodo. His work has also appeared in Time, Yahoo, the Verge, Mashable, ReadWrite, and NBC. Singleton was named a "rising star" by the Huffington Post in 2013.