- Someone set up a Spider-Man memorial outside D23 Expo 5 Years Ago
- A$AP Rocky just isn’t texting Trump back Today 1:24 PM
- Hong Kong protesters knock down alleged ‘facial recognition tower’ Today 12:35 PM
- PewDiePie becomes the first YouTuber to hit 100 million subscribers Today 11:35 AM
- ‘Breaking Bad’ movie will show us what happened to Jesse Pinkman Today 9:39 AM
- How to stream ROH Wrestling’s Honor For All Today 7:30 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Titans in NFL preseason action Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Good Eats: The Return’ online Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6 Today 6:00 AM
- Your best bets for finding discounted and refurbished Airpods Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Real Betis Saturday 11:31 PM
- How to stream Tottenham Hotspur vs. Newcastle Saturday 11:21 PM
- All of the ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Easter eggs discovered by fans Saturday 6:52 PM
- Every big announcement made at D23 about Disney+ Saturday 6:33 PM
- The best haunted house movies to watch online in 2019 Saturday 4:13 PM
Elon Musk’s SpaceX to create spaceport in Texas
SpaceX celebrates its new digs with a rocket launch.
South Texas is about to make headlines for something other than hot button border issues. Commercial spaceflight company SpaceX just named the Brownsville, Texas area as the build site for its next major space launch hub. Announced in a press release from the governor’s office, the spaceport will be built on 57 acres near Boca Chica Beach, joining NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston as the second major portal to space on the Gulf Coast.
With the site finalized, the state of Texas will provide $2.3 million from an enterprise fund and $13 million from a Spaceport trust fund, which arose out of a state spaceport authority established in 1999. Attracting a spaceport is a massive job creation opportunity for the often remote sites selected for commercial spaceflight centers.
Along with Virgin Galactic, SpaceX is one of two prominent commercial spaceflight ventures run by future-minded billionaires (Richard Branson and Elon Musk, respectively). Virgin Galactic made its home at the world’s first purpose-built spaceport, Spaceport America, in a remote swath of desert near Truth or Consequences, N.M. SpaceX has conducted launches out of Spaceport America as well, though its more permanent footprint there is limited to a few trailers in contrast to Virgin’s state of the art custom-built hangar and terminal.
And as Texas Governor Rick Perry notes, his state is no stranger to space. “Texas has been on the forefront of our nation’s space exploration efforts for decades, so it is fitting that SpaceX has chosen our state as they expand the frontiers of commercial space flight,” Perry said in the release.
SpaceX rang in the good news with the Florida launch of the AsiaSat 8 mission, which just launched a telecommunications satellite into space on the back of a Falcon 9 rocket. If you didn’t stay up all night to catch the launch live, SpaceX has kindly provided a video so we space nerds can live vicariously.
H/T The Houston Chronicle | Photo via SpaceX
Taylor Hatmaker has reported on the tech industry for nearly a decade, covering privacy and government. Most recently, she was the Debug editor of the Daily Dot. Prior to that, she was a staff writer and deputy editor at ReadWrite, a tech and business reporter for Yahoo News, and the senior editor of Tecca. Her editorial interests include censorship, digital activism, LGBTQ issues, and futurist consumer tech.