- Laura Ingraham, Dinesh D’Souza slam journalist for having a job 2 Years Ago
- Netflix is testing a cheap-as-hell mobile-only plan Today 1:08 PM
- Astrology app Co-Star’s bizarre push notifications are now a meme Today 12:18 PM
- ‘The Dirt’ offers a sanitized history of Mötley Crüe—but why? Today 11:42 AM
- ‘The Dirt’ director Jeff Tremaine on Mötley Crüe’s long, difficult road to Netflix Today 11:30 AM
- Here’s video of yet another alleged gunman looking for YouTuber Adam22 Today 11:09 AM
- 12 mugs that are absolutely purr-fect for cat enthusiasts Today 10:58 AM
- Jared Kushner used WhatsApp for official White House business Today 10:50 AM
- Unsettled Tom memes are on the rise Today 10:36 AM
- Trans student nominated for prom king told by administration to run for queen Today 10:07 AM
- Trump turns on his favorite cable news network Today 8:56 AM
- Skillshare is offering new users one month of premium for less than $1 Today 8:34 AM
- How to stream Bellator 218 for free Today 8:00 AM
- Jordan Peele’s ‘Us’ is already a meme gold mine Today 7:18 AM
- ‘Queen’s Shadow’ is a brilliant character study into a ‘Star Wars’ fan favorite Today 7:00 AM
Mariah Carey’s New Year’s Eve performance was a disaster, and Twitter loved it
Carey’s Twitter response was ‘Uh-mazing.’
Nobody is having a worse 2017 than Mariah Carey. But after fouling up her New Year’s Eve performance in front of millions on Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve, the singer basically said, “Eh, what are you gonna do?
Here was Carey’s performance late Saturday night, loaded with apparent technical difficulties, that started a wave of ridicule on social media.
Hey, don’t mind her. She just needs help walking down the stairs as her backing track begins, and hell, she’s just going to stand on the middle of the stage, not doing anything while her voice fills Times Square and her backup dancers go about their jobs like the solid entertainers they are. She even tells the audience at one point that she’s being a good sport, which is pretty much the opposite of what a good sport in that situation would say.
Eventually, she’s like, “Fuck it, I’m going to let the audience have a turn at the mic.”
Even though she apparently couldn’t hear the song through the monitors—reportedly, the wrong song also played—Twitter predictably roasted her.
This Mariah Carey performance is truly the perfect representation of what a year 2016 was…
— Cabot Phillips (@cabot_phillips) January 1, 2017
Mariah Carey was like that one person in a group project who didn’t do any of the work and now has to present the whole project
— Jennifer Sheng (@Jennifer_Sheng) January 1, 2017
But that didn’t stop the diva. Here was her response to the disastrous performance.
Nice recovery by Carey there. Either way, the entire spectacle was, in Carey’s words, “Uh-mazing.”
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.