- Panama Papers law firm sues Netflix over ‘The Laundromat’ 3 Years Ago
- ‘Motherless Brooklyn’ is a gorgeous noir with little below the surface Today 1:14 PM
- Jameela Jamil and Sara Sampaio got in a Twitter feud over ‘long-starved’ models Today 12:52 PM
- Freddie Prinze Jr. will straight-up school you about the Force don’t @ him Today 12:18 PM
- Woman hosts Instagram funeral after she ‘killed’ $102K in student debt Today 11:45 AM
- YouTube beats Netflix as go-to streaming platform for teens Today 11:41 AM
- The tallest man in America posts emotional YouTube video from hospital room Today 11:31 AM
- Nintendo Switch subreddit implodes amid Hong Kong protests Today 11:14 AM
- Biden yelling at Warren becomes relatable workplace meme Today 10:33 AM
- Tulsi Gabbard was conservatives’ favorite debater Today 10:07 AM
- ‘Rogue One’ co-writer to direct several episodes, write the pilot for Cassian Andor series Today 9:50 AM
- ‘The Two Popes’: Anthony Hopkins and Jonathan Pryce shine in Netflix’s pope comedy Today 8:57 AM
- AOC, ‘Squad’ to endorse Bernie Sanders Today 8:44 AM
- ‘Ghosts of Sugar Land’ explores what happens if your friend joins ISIS Today 7:00 AM
- Andrew Yang upset porn fans with his criticism of Bing Tuesday 10:34 PM
Nobody is having a worse 2017 than Mariah Carey. But after fouling up her New Year’s Eve performance in front of millions on Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve, the singer basically said, “Eh, what are you gonna do?
Here was Carey’s performance late Saturday night, loaded with apparent technical difficulties, that started a wave of ridicule on social media.
Hey, don’t mind her. She just needs help walking down the stairs as her backing track begins, and hell, she’s just going to stand on the middle of the stage, not doing anything while her voice fills Times Square and her backup dancers go about their jobs like the solid entertainers they are. She even tells the audience at one point that she’s being a good sport, which is pretty much the opposite of what a good sport in that situation would say.
Eventually, she’s like, “Fuck it, I’m going to let the audience have a turn at the mic.”
Even though she apparently couldn’t hear the song through the monitors—reportedly, the wrong song also played—Twitter predictably roasted her.
This Mariah Carey performance is truly the perfect representation of what a year 2016 was…
— Cabot Phillips (@cabot_phillips) January 1, 2017
Mariah Carey was like that one person in a group project who didn’t do any of the work and now has to present the whole project
— Jennifer Sheng (@Jennifer_Sheng) January 1, 2017
But that didn’t stop the diva. Here was her response to the disastrous performance.
Nice recovery by Carey there. Either way, the entire spectacle was, in Carey’s words, “Uh-mazing.”
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.