- ‘Zybourne Clock’ original art is selling for over $4,000 on eBay 3 Years Ago
- What is TikTok famous club, and can you trust it? 3 Years Ago
- ‘John Wick 4’ and ‘The Matrix 4,’ both starring Keanu Reeves, will come out on the same day 3 Years Ago
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 15: It’s Tannehill’s world 3 Years Ago
- Trump mocks Greta Thunberg over ‘person of the year’ win Today 7:55 AM
- Temple student refers to Philly as the ‘ghetto’ in ‘unacceptable’ TikTok Today 7:52 AM
- The decade the hucksters overran the halls of power Today 6:30 AM
- Ninja mocked for not knowing how to make a sandwich Wednesday 9:30 PM
- Marvel comics writer discusses misogyny in the industry Wednesday 9:09 PM
- TikTok conspiracy theorists think Juice WRLD is still alive Wednesday 7:03 PM
- Conservatives are protesting YouTube’s new harassment rules Wednesday 5:36 PM
- YouTuber’s ‘creepy’ comment about Taylor Swift’s eggs gets ratioed Wednesday 5:31 PM
- Bloomberg razzed for accidentally making an Alexa Fleshlight Wednesday 5:29 PM
- Who is putting cowboy hats on pigeons? Wednesday 4:33 PM
- Scammer reportedly bribed Facebook employee to keep posts up Wednesday 3:36 PM
Nobody is having a worse 2017 than Mariah Carey. But after fouling up her New Year’s Eve performance in front of millions on Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve, the singer basically said, “Eh, what are you gonna do?
Here was Carey’s performance late Saturday night, loaded with apparent technical difficulties, that started a wave of ridicule on social media.
Hey, don’t mind her. She just needs help walking down the stairs as her backing track begins, and hell, she’s just going to stand on the middle of the stage, not doing anything while her voice fills Times Square and her backup dancers go about their jobs like the solid entertainers they are. She even tells the audience at one point that she’s being a good sport, which is pretty much the opposite of what a good sport in that situation would say.
Eventually, she’s like, “Fuck it, I’m going to let the audience have a turn at the mic.”
Even though she apparently couldn’t hear the song through the monitors—reportedly, the wrong song also played—Twitter predictably roasted her.
This Mariah Carey performance is truly the perfect representation of what a year 2016 was…
— Cabot Phillips (@cabot_phillips) January 1, 2017
Mariah Carey was like that one person in a group project who didn’t do any of the work and now has to present the whole project
— Jennifer Sheng (@Jennifer_Sheng) January 1, 2017
But that didn’t stop the diva. Here was her response to the disastrous performance.
Nice recovery by Carey there. Either way, the entire spectacle was, in Carey’s words, “Uh-mazing.”
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.