- Indie game publisher announces Playdate, a console with a hand crank Wednesday 8:18 PM
- How to get The Sims 4 for free Wednesday 7:45 PM
- Trump’s Rose Garden podium sign is the perfect meme canvas Wednesday 7:34 PM
- Forest Whitaker to produce adaptation of novel ‘Hello, Universe’ for Netflix Wednesday 6:58 PM
- Baltimore still refuses to pay hackers who hit city with ransomware Wednesday 5:34 PM
- Net neutrality advocates slam ‘extremely troubling’ letter circulating among some House Dems Wednesday 4:52 PM
- Moms and grandmas are infiltrating TikTok Wednesday 4:35 PM
- Did Britain’s head Brexiter hide in a bus to avoid getting hit by a milkshake? Wednesday 4:26 PM
- This woman who thought she saw a handmaid about to jump from a building is very relieved Wednesday 4:18 PM
- Michael Avenatti allegedly defrauded Stormy Daniels to pay for a Ferrari Wednesday 3:53 PM
- HBO has no plans for an Arya Stark spinoff series Wednesday 3:28 PM
- Republicans and Democrats agree on dangers of facial recognition tech Wednesday 3:18 PM
- Amazon is using video games and ‘swag bucks’ to incentivize workers Wednesday 3:04 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in June Wednesday 2:46 PM
- This Michael Jackson makeup meme is sweeping TikTok Wednesday 2:45 PM
Mariah Carey’s New Year’s Eve performance was a disaster, and Twitter loved it
Carey’s Twitter response was ‘Uh-mazing.’
Nobody is having a worse 2017 than Mariah Carey. But after fouling up her New Year’s Eve performance in front of millions on Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve, the singer basically said, “Eh, what are you gonna do?
Here was Carey’s performance late Saturday night, loaded with apparent technical difficulties, that started a wave of ridicule on social media.
Hey, don’t mind her. She just needs help walking down the stairs as her backing track begins, and hell, she’s just going to stand on the middle of the stage, not doing anything while her voice fills Times Square and her backup dancers go about their jobs like the solid entertainers they are. She even tells the audience at one point that she’s being a good sport, which is pretty much the opposite of what a good sport in that situation would say.
Eventually, she’s like, “Fuck it, I’m going to let the audience have a turn at the mic.”
Even though she apparently couldn’t hear the song through the monitors—reportedly, the wrong song also played—Twitter predictably roasted her.
This Mariah Carey performance is truly the perfect representation of what a year 2016 was…
— Cabot Phillips (@cabot_phillips) January 1, 2017
Mariah Carey was like that one person in a group project who didn’t do any of the work and now has to present the whole project
— Jennifer Sheng (@Jennifer_Sheng) January 1, 2017
But that didn’t stop the diva. Here was her response to the disastrous performance.
Nice recovery by Carey there. Either way, the entire spectacle was, in Carey’s words, “Uh-mazing.”
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.