- Gina Rodriguez slammed for promoting ‘American Dirt’ 3 Years Ago
- Netflix says ‘The Witcher’ is its biggest show. Is it really? 3 Years Ago
- Tulsi Gabbard sues Hillary Clinton for podcast comments Today 8:53 AM
- Lizzo reps Beyoncé’s Ivy Park collection in adult-themed TikTok Today 7:58 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Eye for an Eye’ is a fun but messy thriller about revenge Today 7:00 AM
- Which 2020 Democratic candidates post the most cringe? Today 6:30 AM
- The new ‘Hunger Games’ book paints President Snow as a hero—and people are not happy Tuesday 9:03 PM
- Influencer called out for ‘troubling image’ with Kenyan child Tuesday 8:18 PM
- Professor arrested for spending $185K of grant money on iTunes and strippers Tuesday 7:28 PM
- Man cuts his books in half to make them ‘portable,’ spurs online debate Tuesday 6:09 PM
- Fans defend Lana Del Rey after she was mocked for flying commercial Tuesday 5:10 PM
- Lady Gaga fans find alleged new song name in her website’s code Tuesday 4:42 PM
- Barstool Sports deletes anti-union tweets, blog post in settlement Tuesday 3:47 PM
- The ‘can have … as a treat’ meme has come full circle Tuesday 3:09 PM
- Joe Rogan says he’s voting for Bernie Sanders Tuesday 2:54 PM
Nobody is having a worse 2017 than Mariah Carey. But after fouling up her New Year’s Eve performance in front of millions on Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve, the singer basically said, “Eh, what are you gonna do?
Here was Carey’s performance late Saturday night, loaded with apparent technical difficulties, that started a wave of ridicule on social media.
Hey, don’t mind her. She just needs help walking down the stairs as her backing track begins, and hell, she’s just going to stand on the middle of the stage, not doing anything while her voice fills Times Square and her backup dancers go about their jobs like the solid entertainers they are. She even tells the audience at one point that she’s being a good sport, which is pretty much the opposite of what a good sport in that situation would say.
Eventually, she’s like, “Fuck it, I’m going to let the audience have a turn at the mic.”
Even though she apparently couldn’t hear the song through the monitors—reportedly, the wrong song also played—Twitter predictably roasted her.
This Mariah Carey performance is truly the perfect representation of what a year 2016 was…
— Cabot Phillips (@cabot_phillips) January 1, 2017
Mariah Carey was like that one person in a group project who didn’t do any of the work and now has to present the whole project
— Jennifer Sheng (@Jennifer_Sheng) January 1, 2017
But that didn’t stop the diva. Here was her response to the disastrous performance.
Nice recovery by Carey there. Either way, the entire spectacle was, in Carey’s words, “Uh-mazing.”
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.