- How to live stream Pacquiao vs. Thurman Today 6:20 AM
- Review: Hulu with Live TV ensures you always have something to watch Today 6:00 AM
- How to live stream UFC on ESPN 4: Rafael dos Anjos vs. Leon Edwards Today 5:49 AM
- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Friday 4:14 PM
- Belle Delphine’s Instagram account removed after mass reporting campaign Friday 4:08 PM
- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge Friday 3:19 PM
- Journalists horrified by consolidation of Gatehouse, Gannett Friday 3:12 PM
- Facebook and Google could be tracking you on porn sites Friday 1:42 PM
- 7 best sites for psychic love readings Friday 1:20 PM
- Driver demonstrates why you always need to read road signs Friday 12:58 PM
- Area 51 remix video proves it’s the summer of Lil Nas X Friday 12:26 PM
- ‘ICE will come’: Convenience store clerk threatens customers speaking Spanish Friday 12:11 PM
- Rand Paul dodges questions about 9/11 Victims Fund, says ‘watch Fox News’ Friday 11:51 AM
- Report: ‘Stranger Things’ season 4 to begin shooting in October Friday 11:03 AM
- AT&T paid Michael Cohen to consult on net neutrality, FBI documents show Friday 9:10 AM
Nine under par in a Bentley golf cart.
Rap superstar Lil Wayne has weighed in on the Masters.
The avid golf fan had been watching Tom Watson, a PGA legend whose late career resurgence has inspired fans since his stunning showing at the 2009 Open Championship. This year marks Watson’s final appearance in the Masters. Needless to say, Weezy got a little emotional about it:
Jus gave Tom Watson a standin O in my living room Well deserved Such an honor to watch greatness from the day I knew what golf was U go Tom!
— Lil Wayne WEEZY F (@LilTunechi) April 9, 2016
Fellow Masters fans have pretty much fallen out of their recliners at the news that Lil Wayne watches golf just like they do. This is the second time he’s tweeted about the sport, in fact. Three years ago, Weezy condemned a penalty thrown at teen golf sensation Guan Tianlang:
Guan shouldn’t have the penalty. Shame on the Masters
— Lil Wayne WEEZY F (@LilTunechi) April 12, 2013
As with the New Orleans-born rapper’s love of the Green Bay Packers, his love of golf can probably be traced back to his roots. Weezy grew up in a life of poverty in the Hollygrove neighborhood of the Crescent City.
He gravitated towards the Packers almost out of necessity, explaining to ESPN’s First Take that his father picked up a bunch of Packers merch after watching the team beat the New England Patriots at Super Bowl XXXI. That matchup was hosted in New Orleans at the Superdome.
The cups and towels Wayne’s father was able to snatch up served as day-to-day items, much as Mardi Gras throws do to citizens who catch similarly festive cups during the Carnival season. It’s safe to say where he grew up may have shaped his love of golf as well.
Hollygrove shares a boundary with the New Orleans Country Club, (no, not this gay pool country club also in New Orleans) which boasts a fairly substantial golf course. Wayne could’ve easily been drawn to the expanse of greens and clear marker of riches just like anyone else trying to get out from under their circumstances.
So, Lil Wayne likes golf. Who knew? He’s also a fairly successful musician who’s humbled enough by a solid golf career like Watson’s to stand up and cheer. This really shouldn’t shock anybody.
A former Weekend Editor at the Daily Dot, April Siese's reporting covers everything from technology and politics to web culture and humor. Her work has been published by Bustle, Uproxx, Death and Taxes, Rolling Stone, the Daily Beast, Thrillist, Atlas Obscura, and others. Siese joined Quartz in December 2016.