The rumors first surfaced last week in the Daily Star, which reported that producer Barbara Broccoli reportedly told director Antoine Fuqua “it is time” for someone other than a white man to play James Bond. Fuqua noted, according to the source, that “you need a guy with physically strong presence” for the role and indicated that Elba had that kind of presence.
A representative for Fuqua later denied talking to Broccoli about the James Bond franchise, but the rumors persisted as fans imagined (once again) the possibility of Elba taking over the role.
Elba, who’s had to answer for James Bond casting rumors for the past decade now, took to Twitter on Sunday to address the rumors once again. He starts off with an acknowledgment and a play on names but then appears to backtrack on any kind of inferred confirmation.
my name’s Elba, Idris Elba. pic.twitter.com/kEyyaVg8JX— Idris Elba (@idriselba) August 12, 2018
Don’t believe the HYPE…— Idris Elba (@idriselba) August 12, 2018
So will he be the next James Bond? Who even knows at this point; we’re still even a ways off from seeing Craig portray James Bond for the last time in the untitled Bond 25. But it won’t stop any of the speculations that Elba may one day take up 007’s iconic mantle from reemerging from time to time.
Though for what it’s worth, Elba has said he’d love to see a woman play James Bond.
H/T Vanity Fair