- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Friday 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Friday 3:28 PM
- Blue Bell ice cream licker pleads guilty Friday 2:54 PM
- 7 fortune-telling sites for when you’re bored Friday 2:21 PM
- Governor bans sex puns on free condom wrappers Friday 2:16 PM
- Is Justin Bieber’s ‘Yummy’ video secretly about Pizzagate? Friday 1:01 PM
- Woah Vicky rips out her hair in botched cultural appropriation attempt Friday 12:30 PM
- Here’s an exclusive look at ‘Weathering With You’ Friday 11:57 AM
- TikTok dudes are dipping their balls in soy sauce for ‘science’ Friday 11:49 AM
- Pete Buttigieg’s denial of fixing bread prices becomes its own meme Friday 11:10 AM
- Houston Astros get torched with buzzer memes after new revelation Friday 10:41 AM
- Teens are eating cereal out of each other’s mouths for clout Friday 10:34 AM
LOL at drunk driving crash lands teen in jail
The judge didn’t find Paula Asher’s drunk driving nearly as hilarious as she did.
There are some things you can brag about on Facebook, but getting charged with a DUI is not one of them.
After allegedly slamming into another car, Paula Asher bragged about it on Facebook writing “My dumb (expletive) got a dui and I hit a car…lol.” That tasteless attempt at a humble brag landed Asher in a Kentucky jail.
The parents of the teenagers whose car she hit saw the message and alerted a police. A district judge ordered Asher to delete her Facebook account. She ignored the demands, was promptly found to be in contempt of court, and spent two days in jail.
“I didn’t think ‘lol’ would put me in jail,” said Asher, 18, according to WLEX-TV. “I really wasn’t trying to make fun of [the crash].”
Police say Asher was drunk when she t-boned her car into another vehicle containing four teenagers in July. According to Jail Base, she is being charged with leaving the scene of the accident, driving intoxicated while underage, and possessing a controlled substance.
Those two days in jail provided Asher with a chance for introspection, apparently. “I apologize to everybody,” Asher said. “I apologize to the judge. I didn’t mean to hurt anybody.”
Asher returns to court Sept. 27 when she will be charged.
Photo via Woodford County Detention Center
A former editorial operations specialist and staff writer for the Daily Dot, Jordan Valinsky is a tech reporter and web culture commentator. His work has been published by the Week, Digiday, CNNMoney, Popular Mechanics, Vice, Mic, and Betabeat.