- What is the TikTok drink and can you still get it? Thursday 9:27 PM
- “Party, Party, Party” TikTok meme grapples with party culture Thursday 8:43 PM
- Baby Yoda was just added to Sims 4 Thursday 7:54 PM
- Religious conservatives petition Netflix to pull ‘gay Jesus’ Christmas comedy Thursday 7:19 PM
- Kylie Jenner criticized for yet another expensive car post Thursday 5:57 PM
- Apex Legends became a major Pornhub search in 2019 Thursday 5:15 PM
- CBS accidentally interviewed InfoWars host as regular Trump supporter Thursday 4:31 PM
- TLC accused of fatphobia, fetishization with show about ‘mixed-weight’ couples Thursday 3:41 PM
- Betting odds show KSI could fight FaZe Sensei, Jake Paul, or Justin Bieber next Thursday 3:20 PM
- Nick Cannon releases another thirsty Eminem diss track Thursday 2:59 PM
- Dogs at polling stations are helping bark out the vote in the U.K. Thursday 1:00 PM
- Streamers dominated Pornhub searches in 2019 Thursday 12:59 PM
- Pro and anti-boot factions emerge in wake of ‘Wonder Woman 1984’ trailer Thursday 12:31 PM
- The ‘Rise of Skywalker’ press tour has turned into a rehash of ‘The Last Jedi’ Thursday 12:18 PM
- What’s in a TikTok username? Thursday 12:00 PM
LOL at drunk driving crash lands teen in jail
The judge didn’t find Paula Asher’s drunk driving nearly as hilarious as she did.
There are some things you can brag about on Facebook, but getting charged with a DUI is not one of them.
After allegedly slamming into another car, Paula Asher bragged about it on Facebook writing “My dumb (expletive) got a dui and I hit a car…lol.” That tasteless attempt at a humble brag landed Asher in a Kentucky jail.
The parents of the teenagers whose car she hit saw the message and alerted a police. A district judge ordered Asher to delete her Facebook account. She ignored the demands, was promptly found to be in contempt of court, and spent two days in jail.
“I didn’t think ‘lol’ would put me in jail,” said Asher, 18, according to WLEX-TV. “I really wasn’t trying to make fun of [the crash].”
Police say Asher was drunk when she t-boned her car into another vehicle containing four teenagers in July. According to Jail Base, she is being charged with leaving the scene of the accident, driving intoxicated while underage, and possessing a controlled substance.
Those two days in jail provided Asher with a chance for introspection, apparently. “I apologize to everybody,” Asher said. “I apologize to the judge. I didn’t mean to hurt anybody.”
Asher returns to court Sept. 27 when she will be charged.
Photo via Woodford County Detention Center
A former editorial operations specialist and staff writer for the Daily Dot, Jordan Valinsky is a tech reporter and web culture commentator. His work has been published by the Week, Digiday, CNNMoney, Popular Mechanics, Vice, Mic, and Betabeat.