- Matt Gaetz attempts to storm impeachment hearing with a phalanx of elderly white men 1 Year Ago
- Maxine Waters rips into Zuckerberg during Libra hearing 1 Year Ago
- Chrissy Teigen draws the ire of QAnon fans for criticizing conspiracy 1 Year Ago
- This Twitch streamer was shocked to discover a fan made videos of all her sneezes Today 9:28 AM
- ‘Rick and Morty’ episode title reveal highlights how dumb episode title reveals are Today 9:27 AM
- Ajit Pai is unhappy states are bucking his agency’s net neutrality repeal Today 9:04 AM
- Paul Rudd’s appearance on ‘Hot Ones’ becomes an instantly iconic meme Today 8:23 AM
- Network of fake news sites in Michigan appears to be right-wing propaganda effort Today 6:30 AM
- ‘BoJack Horseman’ hints at a brutal reckoning in its final season Today 5:30 AM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Slavia Praha in the Champions League Today 2:00 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Ajax in the Champions League Today 1:00 AM
- People are using #WheresLindsey to criticize Graham over Trump ‘lynching’ defense Tuesday 8:22 PM
- 2 Proud Boys sentenced to 4 years in prison for attacking antifa protesters Tuesday 7:20 PM
- Paul Joseph Watson is very upset by bartender serving beer with her butt Tuesday 6:24 PM
- Twitter developing a policy to combat deepfakes Tuesday 5:28 PM
Everyone has a kink. It varies from person to person, but for many, consensual BDSM and S&M play a major role in their bedroom activities. Often, this kind of play involves inflicting pain on your partner in ways that both parties have agreed upon ahead of time.
The type of pain you experiment with doesn’t have to be physical, though, not at all. It can also involve humiliation or emotional play to help satisfy the partner looking to get off on pain or other feelings of that nature.
That’s what’s inspired the “hurt me” meme, which has been floating around on Twitter and making for some of the funniest (and sometimes far too real) jokes we’ve seen in quite some time.
The setup is simple. It’s meant to mirror one partner asking the other to “hurt” them, and the other person responds in a way that’s, comedically, “too much”. The other partner then says “stop,” because, well, it’s getting too heavy. Whether it’s rooted in gaming, music fandom, or life in general, there’s a lot of different ways to get in on this meme.
And as expected, there’s a variety of different ways to “hurt” someone, like telling them this super sad whale story.
[during sex]— Jay (@highonthighs) August 18, 2018
Me: Hurt me
Her: In 1992, scientists discovered the loneliest creature on Earth.
Her: Its a whale that has been calling for a mate for two decades. He communicates at a frequency not used by any other whales, and hasnt received a response.
Or this reminder that the year hasn’t gone as swimmingly as we’d planned.
Me during sex: hurt me— demogorgon (@Pcastellopez) August 19, 2018
Them: we are in august and you haven't done anything right with your life in the whole year
Them: what about all of that new year resolutions you were about to do this year??? Where are they??
That’s truly upsetting.
[during sex]— Reb (@serinide) August 17, 2018
her: i want you to hurt me
him: the last release of an animal crossing main series game was in 2012 almost six years ago
I’m feeling very attacked right now.
Me: I want you to hurt me 😉— Jule (@like_a_jule) August 19, 2018
Them: My Chemical Romance broke up
Them: 5 years ago
Okay, now this is going too far.
[during sex]— BioWareProblems (@BioWareProblems) August 19, 2018
Me: I want you to hurt me
Her: You'll never get to save the quarian ark
Her: And it's going to be years before there's another Mass Effect or Dragon Age
[during sex]— Tim Young (@shindags) August 20, 2018
me: hurt me
her: sir this is a McDonald's
me: McHurt me
me during sex: i want you to hurt me— ashley (@melanchoe_) August 19, 2018
them: one direction is never coming back
me: wait wha-
them: one direction is dead
me: no stop
Of course, if you’re going to write one of these memes, always remember that pain in a relationship should always, always be consensual, especially if it’s a large component of your sexual play.
With that in mind, some good-natured memes poking fun at this dynamic won’t hurt anyone, ironically enough. Go ahead, enjoy the burn. Just make sure you’re being respectful of the lifestyle while you’re at it, too.
Brittany Vincent has covered gaming, anime, tech, and entertainment for over a decade. When she’s not writing, she’s replaying Um Jammer Lammy or Day of the Tentacle for the hundredth time while pining for a Harvester sequel. Find her on Twitter @MolotovCupcake.