- Report: DACA recipients increasingly being denied federal housing loans Friday 3:54 PM
- Chris Christie is finally getting praise—for turning down Donald Trump Friday 3:39 PM
- Net neutrality died last year. But the fight’s just begun Friday 1:18 PM
- Kim Kierkegaardashian creator says popular Twitter account ‘speaks to the duality in all of us’ Friday 1:02 PM
- Facebook admits that 6.8 million users’ private photos were exposed Friday 12:55 PM
- YouTube reviewer heads to homeless shelter to critique the food Friday 12:46 PM
- Viral video shows Brooklyn woman’s racist tirade and violent attack Friday 12:38 PM
- 7-year-old migrant girl dies in Border Patrol custody Friday 11:31 AM
- People are losing it after hearing the end of Ariana Grande’s new song ‘Imagine’ Friday 11:28 AM
- Failed Green party candidate was secretly behind this popular QAnon account Friday 11:05 AM
- Dude gets dunked on for claiming Keira Knightley’s ‘six pack’ makes her trans Friday 10:52 AM
- A theoretical tax on Bud Light has infuriated conservatives Friday 10:10 AM
- Tumblr is back on the iOS App Store as NSFW content ban looms Friday 10:10 AM
- Here’s why YouTube deleted 58 million videos and a ton of accounts Friday 9:43 AM
- The 25 worst passwords of 2018 Friday 9:27 AM
Childish Gambino’s ‘Redbone’ is now part of an absurd new Twitter meme
Ever wonder what ‘Redbone’ sounds like while playing Gamecube?
Childish Gambino has become the center of a weird new meme on Twitter this week, as fans reimagined what “Redbone,” a fan favorite single off his 2016 Awaken, My Love! album, would sound like in any context.
The meme began on May 13, when one Twitter user posted muffled audio of “Redbone” and said it was what the song would sound like while making out in the bathroom of a house party.
The Redbone meme was born.
What Redbone would sound like while you're making out in the bathroom of a house party pic.twitter.com/1X4T7jFvZc
— chloé (@chloestixx) May 14, 2017
Since the original post, each new addition to the meme has grown more sarcastic and ridiculous. Now there seems to be a way to know how “Redbone” would sound in any given situation–whether you’re in the ER or in the middle of a roasting sesh in the bathroom of a house party.
what redbone would sound like if it was made in the late 80's pic.twitter.com/a55xdX8DSz
— em (@kroenckemma) May 22, 2017
what redbone would sound like if u were in the dining room of gordon ramsays hells kitchen pic.twitter.com/XzFOfNNIg0
— young sosa (@chulomang) May 23, 2017
What Redbone would sound like while you're playing Gamecube in the bathroom of a house party pic.twitter.com/MvRmSLQ4L8
— tristan brown (@_tristanbrown) May 22, 2017
What redbone would sound like if you were in a roast sesh in a bathroom at a house party pic.twitter.com/DV9PsfjVLN
— cvnvs (@KevinCanas) May 23, 2017
— MONDI (@YungMondi) May 21, 2017
here's what redbone would sound like if it was actually worth listening to pic.twitter.com/B9o5ic863I
— sosa artisia (@skrongmeat_) May 22, 2017
what childish gambino's "Redbone" would sound like if you replaced the entirety of it by the intro of Chief Keef's 2012 hit,"Love Sosa" pic.twitter.com/51O43RpMG0
— eugene (@crackhead_1000) May 22, 2017
what redbone would sound like in the ER pic.twitter.com/m4yyxlOKZr
— IBUKUN. (@verynicegirll) May 22, 2017
What Redbone would sound like when you're eating Nature Valley Bar granola crumbs from the linoleum floor in the bathroom at a party pic.twitter.com/94fQBPbhSC
— shaddai (@falsejacksonvp) May 23, 2017
What Redbone would sound like if you paused it pic.twitter.com/Faeq0wAvhD
— emiliano (@vroadkill) May 21, 2017
What Redbone would sound like if you were standing in line for the bathroom next to a guy whos only heard it once but still sings along pic.twitter.com/GpUxUzh5Kt
— Ian Crumley (@iancrumley) May 24, 2017
What Redbone sounds like when you're blind pic.twitter.com/iBunhGIkfG
— Bryce ++® (@BoolinBryce) May 23, 2017
What redbone would sound like if you turned off the lights pic.twitter.com/mrBHqFww5M
— EMANUEL (@blingspice) May 23, 2017
What redbone would sound like if you're a sorority girl in the bathroom of a bar pic.twitter.com/hzlfHQuBkd
— squid. (@JoshJarabek) May 24, 2017
Not everyone is a fan of the new meme, though.
redbone is murdered. dead. you guys killed a beautiful song. but then again y'all kill everything
— bri :') (@_bbbridgett) May 23, 2017
i hate y'all for turning redbone into a meme
— ebon (@abstractnights) May 23, 2017
redbone just became a meme y'all ruin everything
— lil heart (@lavenderhoneyy) May 23, 2017
Notoriously silent on the internet, Donald Glover–aka Childish Gambino–has not yet commented about the meme.
Tess Cagle is a reporter who focuses on politics, lifestyle, and streaming entertainment. Her work has appeared in the New York Times, Texas Monthly, the Austin American-Statesman, Damn Joan, and Community Impact Newspaper. She’s also a portrait, events, and live music photographer in Central Texas.