- Bug lets Twitter save your DMs—even after you delete them Friday 7:21 PM
- Guy mansplains song to Japanese Breakfast, the female artist who wrote the song Friday 6:38 PM
- Ann Coulter’s Twitter bio links to a vulgar parody account Friday 5:22 PM
- Popular YouTube music channel gets income yanked for ‘repetitious’ content Friday 4:14 PM
- New website will endlessly generate fake faces thanks to AI Friday 3:41 PM
- Man fakes getting stood up at Outback Steakhouse Friday 3:03 PM
- FCC looks to tackle robocalls and spoofed texts Friday 2:57 PM
- How to protect yourself from the data breach that affected 744 million accounts Friday 12:56 PM
- How to stream Rob Brant vs. Khasan Baysangurov online for free Friday 12:21 PM
- No, Ocasio-Cortez doesn’t have her boyfriend on her payroll Friday 12:20 PM
- Writers want this book canceled for misgendering its protagonist Friday 12:15 PM
- Trump Jr’s meme about his dad’s border wall doesn’t get how Congress works Friday 11:44 AM
- FBI reportedly looking into Ryan Adams’ communications with underage girl Friday 11:25 AM
- Trump does Chinese accent, declares national emergency, bewilders the internet Friday 11:21 AM
- Chrissy Teigen throws shade at Logan Paul-Kaitlin Bennett pairing Friday 10:48 AM
Childish Gambino’s ‘Redbone’ is now part of an absurd new Twitter meme
Ever wonder what ‘Redbone’ sounds like while playing Gamecube?
Childish Gambino has become the center of a weird new meme on Twitter this week, as fans reimagined what “Redbone,” a fan favorite single off his 2016 Awaken, My Love! album, would sound like in any context.
The meme began on May 13, when one Twitter user posted muffled audio of “Redbone” and said it was what the song would sound like while making out in the bathroom of a house party.
The Redbone meme was born.
What Redbone would sound like while you're making out in the bathroom of a house party pic.twitter.com/1X4T7jFvZc
— chloé (@chloestixx) May 14, 2017
Since the original post, each new addition to the meme has grown more sarcastic and ridiculous. Now there seems to be a way to know how “Redbone” would sound in any given situation–whether you’re in the ER or in the middle of a roasting sesh in the bathroom of a house party.
what redbone would sound like if it was made in the late 80's pic.twitter.com/a55xdX8DSz
— em (@kroenckemma) May 22, 2017
what redbone would sound like if u were in the dining room of gordon ramsays hells kitchen pic.twitter.com/XzFOfNNIg0
— young sosa (@chulomang) May 23, 2017
What Redbone would sound like while you're playing Gamecube in the bathroom of a house party pic.twitter.com/MvRmSLQ4L8
— tristan brown (@_tristanbrown) May 22, 2017
What redbone would sound like if you were in a roast sesh in a bathroom at a house party pic.twitter.com/DV9PsfjVLN
— cvnvs (@KevinCanas) May 23, 2017
— MONDI (@YungMondi) May 21, 2017
here's what redbone would sound like if it was actually worth listening to pic.twitter.com/B9o5ic863I
— sosa artisia (@skrongmeat_) May 22, 2017
what childish gambino's "Redbone" would sound like if you replaced the entirety of it by the intro of Chief Keef's 2012 hit,"Love Sosa" pic.twitter.com/51O43RpMG0
— eugene (@crackhead_1000) May 22, 2017
what redbone would sound like in the ER pic.twitter.com/m4yyxlOKZr
— IBUKUN. (@verynicegirll) May 22, 2017
What Redbone would sound like when you're eating Nature Valley Bar granola crumbs from the linoleum floor in the bathroom at a party pic.twitter.com/94fQBPbhSC
— shaddai (@falsejacksonvp) May 23, 2017
What Redbone would sound like if you paused it pic.twitter.com/Faeq0wAvhD
— emiliano (@vroadkill) May 21, 2017
What Redbone would sound like if you were standing in line for the bathroom next to a guy whos only heard it once but still sings along pic.twitter.com/GpUxUzh5Kt
— Ian Crumley (@iancrumley) May 24, 2017
What Redbone sounds like when you're blind pic.twitter.com/iBunhGIkfG
— Bryce ++® (@BoolinBryce) May 23, 2017
What redbone would sound like if you turned off the lights pic.twitter.com/mrBHqFww5M
— EMANUEL (@blingspice) May 23, 2017
What redbone would sound like if you're a sorority girl in the bathroom of a bar pic.twitter.com/hzlfHQuBkd
— squid. (@JoshJarabek) May 24, 2017
Not everyone is a fan of the new meme, though.
redbone is murdered. dead. you guys killed a beautiful song. but then again y'all kill everything
— bri :') (@_bbbridgett) May 23, 2017
i hate y'all for turning redbone into a meme
— ebon (@abstractnights) May 23, 2017
redbone just became a meme y'all ruin everything
— lil heart (@lavenderhoneyy) May 23, 2017
Notoriously silent on the internet, Donald Glover–aka Childish Gambino–has not yet commented about the meme.
Tess Cagle is a reporter who focuses on politics, lifestyle, and streaming entertainment. Her work has appeared in the New York Times, Texas Monthly, the Austin American-Statesman, Damn Joan, and Community Impact Newspaper. She’s also a portrait, events, and live music photographer in Central Texas.