- In season 2, ‘Succession’ has quietly become one of the best shows on TV Sunday 9:10 PM
- Alexa Demie shares the beauty inspiration behind ‘Euphoria’s’ Maddy Sunday 5:47 PM
- Fans just discovered Lizzo’s old YouTube channel–and it’s full of gems Sunday 4:22 PM
- The ‘Final Destination’ movies are now streaming on Hulu Sunday 2:44 PM
- Marvel asked ‘Maus’ author to remove Trump reference from essay–he refused Sunday 2:02 PM
- Counselors reportedly pressured to share private info about Facebook moderators Sunday 1:20 PM
- Barstool Sports founder under investigation for anti-union tweets Sunday 12:34 PM
- Harmony Korine’s ‘The Beach Bum’ is now streaming on Hulu Sunday 12:19 PM
- How an Instagram feud led to the death of 9-year-old girl Sunday 11:08 AM
- A scarier ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ extended director’s cut is coming to Blu-ray Sunday 9:15 AM
- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate Sunday 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Sunday 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Sunday 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before is literally rewriting the teen rom-com one love letter at a time, and the streaming weekend hit has made an overnight idol.
The movie focuses on teenager Lara Jean Covey. Lara pens letters to all of her past crushes. The letters are never meant to see the light of day but just like in every great comedy, oops, the love notes get mailed, and suddenly the men come back into her life like the ghosts of relationships past.
Twitter is going nuts over actor Noah Centineo, one of the letter recipients.
Centineo portrays love interest Peter Kavinsky. Centineo went from relative obscurity to internet crush seemingly overnight, even though the 22-year-old has had sizable roles on teen-friendly shows like The Fosters, [email protected], and Austin and Ally.
Here are just a few of the minor meltdowns on Twitter about the movie and its young star.
“ girl come on you know i already got it “ PETE KAVINSKY FROM TO ALL THE BOYS IVE LOVED BEFORE WILL BE THE DEATH OF ME pic.twitter.com/spEtrEfQWz— ˙ ͜ʟ˙ (@kysarla) August 17, 2018
just watched to all the boys i've loved before and cannot describe my happiness and emotion over lara jean and her sisters being specifically half asian half white 😍😍😍😭😭😭— 𝓐𝓹𝓻𝓲𝓵 𝓭𝓮𝓵𝓪 𝓝𝓸𝓬𝓱𝓮 𝓜𝓲𝓵𝓷𝓮 (@apricotjoy) August 19, 2018
also the movie was SO CUTE i died at least 17 times probably
Peter would literally just breathe next to lara jean in to all the boys ive loved before and id lose my mind why are my standards so low pic.twitter.com/zSij9KJWJ6— wack (@ummcancelled) August 18, 2018
im watching “to all the boys ive loved before” and ive never wanted a fake boyfriend so badly oh my god— honey lemon (@VENUSRlCCI) August 18, 2018
TATB WAS ACTUALLY SO FREAKIN CUTE. NOAH AND LANAS CHEMISTRY WAS ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE. THE FLOW AND SPEED OF THE PLOT WAS PERFECT. SOUNDTRACK IS INCREDIBLE. THIS MOVIE IS A MUST SEE!!! GO WATCH TO ALL THE BOYS IVE LOVED BEFORE ON NETFLIX NOW!!! pic.twitter.com/k8kUpFZBna— i love covinsky (@tkalovell) August 17, 2018
TRUST ME PLS WATCH “TO ALL THE BOYS IVE LOVED BEFORE”— "aina ❤️” - KJW (@Fmlwinner) August 17, 2018
LIKE GIRL WHEN YOU ARE IN A GOOD MOOD AND WANNA WATCH ROMCOM AND FANTASIZING ROMANTIC SWEET RELATIONSHIP THAT YOU THINK IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN IRL? WELL THATS THE RIGHT MOVIE FOR YOUUU AND MEEE THE LONERRRR
TO ALL THE BOYS IVE LOVED BEFORE IS THE BEST ROMCOM THATS COME OUT IN A REALLY LONG TIME HOLY SHIT I NEED EVERYONE TO SUPPORT THIS MOVIE WITH AN ASIAN FEMALE LEAD THATS MAIN TRAIT ISNT BEING SMART AND DOESNT HVE HER HAIR DYED SHES JUST A NORMAL FUCKING PERSON— Diana Montana (@DianaHe03329991) August 18, 2018
JUST FINISHED TO ALL THE BOYS IVE LOVED BEFORE AND LOVED EVERY SINGLE SECOND OF IT. GO HIT UP THE MOVIE ON NETFLIX AND SEND ALL YOUR LOVE AND SUPPORT. YOU DEFINITELY WILL NOT REGRET IT. HERES LARA JEAN AND PETER FOR YOU pic.twitter.com/9QQ1EDdTaT— carla (@tiniewonu) August 17, 2018
It’s 2:36 and I’m here bawling my eyes out cause of this movie ‘To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before’ pic.twitter.com/kfW0UXZ7dt— Trin💌 (@sensitivetrin) August 19, 2018
I’m not even exaggerating I was feeling super sick all day and after watching To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before I genuinely feel better. That movie cured me.— “vivian!!!!!” 🏹 (@allyouwantedts) August 19, 2018
Too many things to love about Netflix's To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before: The story, the sets, the cast, the music, the message and I could go on and on. Loved it! pic.twitter.com/EQSRUPtlnV— Mike Morrison (@mikesbloggity) August 19, 2018
Even Netflix’s official Twitter account has joined in on the swooning, changing its bio to “this is now a Peter Kavinsky stan account” and posting this GIF over the weekend.
Peter. Kavinsky.— Netflix US (@netflix) August 20, 2018
That’s all. pic.twitter.com/syHK3uCzrr
For its part, the film is great at capturing teen angst. As Centineo told the Daily Dot this weekend, it’s a John Hughes homage that still works in the age of iPhones: “The formula that he set definitely still applies today … Kids are still growing up, getting older, falling in love for the first time, and getting their first heartbreak.”
- What’s new on Netflix
- The best 4K movies and TV shows on Netflix
- Netflix release dates: Everything to look forward to in 2018
H/T Twitter Moments
Chris Illuminati is an author and reporter whose work for the Daily Dot focuses on meme culture. His work has been published in Rolling Stone, FanSided, BroBible, Penthouse, and AskMen.