- The Kardashians receiving backlash for food fight Instagram post Today 10:26 AM
- How to stream Artem Lobov vs. Jason Knight in BKFC Today 9:00 AM
- Lizzo sued by Postmates runner she accused of stealing her food Today 8:39 AM
- How to stream Jan Blachowicz vs. Ronaldo ‘Jacare’ Souza on UFC Fight Night Today 8:00 AM
- How to watch Georgia vs. Auburn live Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream Navy vs. Notre Dame live Today 3:30 AM
- The actor who played Greedo is just as confused by ‘maclunkey’ as you are Friday 4:57 PM
- AirPods are getting that sweet, sweet Black Friday price drop Friday 4:24 PM
- Looking for a Nintendo Switch? Black Friday deals are here Friday 4:04 PM
- Facebook copies Instagram with experimental ‘Popular Photos’ feature Friday 3:58 PM
- This iPhone app says it will alert you if you’ve been hacked Friday 2:43 PM
- ‘Marvel’s Hero Project’ is the wholesome content 2019 needs Friday 2:40 PM
- Get more out of VSCO with VSCO search Friday 2:09 PM
- Twitter carves out ‘cause-based’ advocacy exemption in political ads ban Friday 2:06 PM
- Disney+ accounts are being hacked—here’s how to protect yourself Friday 1:52 PM
Colored eyeshadow–not so perfectly blended out–is a rite of passage many high school girls go through. And, the Gen-Z drama, Euphoria, is inspiring everyone to delve right back into those old eyeshadow habits.
The show is not just inspiring people to experiment with eyeshadow but glitter and rhinestones as well. As beauty YouTuber Desi Perkins put it, “The show reignited what everyone loves about makeup and how fun it is and how carefree it can be.”
Alexa Demie–both a baddie in the show and in real life–just shared with Twitter a few beauty references she brought in to hone Maddy Perez’s aesthetic in the HBO series.
a few of the beauty references i brought in for maddy💫 pic.twitter.com/gDK6Kbom8r— alexa demie (@AlexaDemie) August 18, 2019
Demie says, in a YouTube video for Vogue, that she made several mood boards to show the creators what she had in mind for her character. The photos–including one of Nina Simone with what looks like rhinestones embedded in her eyebrows and on her eyelids–are presumably part of those boards.
“I made like three extensive mood boards for my look for Maddy. And the makeup artists were so collaborative, so it was really fun because we sort of got to work together,” Demie says in the video.
Demie, who relies on ‘90s editorial for inspiration, says that she would do her own winged eyeliner on-set because it’s her “signature thing.”
But the makeup artists, Doniella “Donni” Davy and Kirsten Sage Coleman, also deserve a lot of credit surrounding the show’s makeup hype. Both of the artists share behind-the-scenes photos, detailing what products and techniques went into creating the masterpieces–helpful for fans, everywhere, who are currently replicating the looks.
View this post on Instagram
Maddy wants Kat to not be a c*nt for one second, Euphoria, Episode 7. Maddy’s gold chain eyeliner was a really special collab w/ @kirinrider. While in the jewelry-making section of Michael’s one day looking for more fun things to glue on faces, I spotted some gold chains and knew immediately that I wanted Maddy to have chain eyeliner at some point, preferably during a moment of conflict. Swipe to see the concept test I did on myself and then the blue liner version that @kirinrider created on Maddy. The way she tapered the tiny gold studs is essential to this look, because w/o them the chain would end abruptly, and we can’t have any abruptly ending chains around here. For products for this look, see @kirinrider ‘s page! // Hair by @melaniestylez #euphoriahbo #euphoriahbomakeup #feelsomething #goldchaineyeliner #chaineyeliner
A post shared by d o n i e l l a d a v y (@donni.davy) on
Another probable reason why there is such an emphasis on makeup is that Euphoria creator, Sam Levinson, is actually “really into makeup,” according to the actress. Demie says that she loves playing Maddy, partially citing beauty reasons.
“It was the first time I had a character where I got to play with makeup and play with outfits and be so involved in that,” Demie says.
HBO announced in June that Euphoria was renewed for a second season, so we’ll hopefully be seeing more makeup and more Maddy very soon.
Eilish O'Sullivan is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot studying journalism and government at the University of Texas at Austin. Her work has appeared in the Austin Chronicle and the Daily Texan.