- Riots break out after a fake email about coronavirus went viral Thursday 8:59 PM
- Bloomberg edits debate clip to make other Democratic candidates appear speechless Thursday 7:50 PM
- Dad claims YouTube refuses to remove video of daughter’s murder Thursday 6:36 PM
- Video of Kanye leaving Kim in elevator to carry all their bags has people cackling Thursday 6:19 PM
- Orlando Bloom’s tattoo misspelled son’s name because of Pinterest Thursday 5:35 PM
- The Ahi Challenge is the latest dance taking over TikTok Thursday 4:40 PM
- Show criticized for putting rape victim in blackface to protect her identity Thursday 3:42 PM
- Woman becomes viral sensation after iconic ‘Shallow’ subway video Thursday 2:48 PM
- Prettyboyfredo tried to gift a bullied teen some $30,000 Nikes at school—he got detained Thursday 2:13 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: Wedding bells and blows Thursday 1:50 PM
- A 16-year-old made a ‘meme guide’ to help her dad understand online trends Thursday 1:46 PM
- UCLA drops plans to use facial recognition after student pushback Thursday 1:07 PM
- ‘Star Trek: Picard’ recap, episode 5: ‘Stardust City Rag’ Thursday 12:56 PM
- Roger Stone sentenced to 40 months in prison Thursday 12:45 PM
- New The 1975 music video is full of memes you’ll love Thursday 12:28 PM
President Donald Trump visited Puerto Rico on Tuesday in the wake of Hurricane Maria. This was his chance to show some some compassion to the survivors, especially after tweeting insults about San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz over the weekend. Instead he made a joke about the disaster messing up the government’s budget. And he handed out emergency supplies like he was on a game show.
Here’s Trump tossing paper towel rolls:
This photo is art (by Reuters' Jonathan Ernst) pic.twitter.com/QEqEGfBBME— Alan Yuhas (@AlanYuhas) October 3, 2017
The internet did not think it was a good move.
Trump— Sam Stein (@samstein) October 3, 2017
-Told PR to be proud “only” 16 dead
-Complained bout recovery cost
-Shot paper towels into crowd
-Told victim to “have a good time"
Republicans: Kneeling for the National Anthem is offensive.— Full Frontal (@FullFrontalSamB) October 3, 2017
Trump: What if I throw paper towels at hurricane survivors? pic.twitter.com/p8aofglDIc
This is horrendous. This isn’t how you distribute ANYTHING to victims of a natural disaster. https://t.co/aBmgEm2kUE— Shaun King (@ShaunKing) October 3, 2017
Me throwing back those paper towels pic.twitter.com/pFzug44r0k— jay (@jayfromtex) October 3, 2017
The video of Trump throwing out paper towels in Puerto Rico is even worse than I imagined pic.twitter.com/gBK9MQ0YmE— Roland Scahill (@rolandscahill) October 3, 2017
Americans in Puerto Rico have no power, are starving, are thirsty & trump threw paper towels at a crowd organized to praise him. Vile.— Ricky Davila (@TheRickyDavila) October 3, 2017
MARIE ANTRUMPETTE— Cher (@cher) October 4, 2017
“LET THEM EAT TOWELS” 👑 pic.twitter.com/VNPqBmh3ly
How many rolls of paper towels does it take to sop up a hurricane?— Anthony Houser (@tonyhouser) October 3, 2017
Trump looked like he was taking a jump shot, which people began to parody. It became an instant meme.
Found this vid of Trump when he took his paper towel basketball style distribution to the next level pic.twitter.com/ACAqYvSFpE— Denlesks (@Denlesks) October 3, 2017
I imagine instead of "Kobe!" Trump yells, "Nixon!" after each paper towel shot. pic.twitter.com/7SV0RLLgCH— Matthew A. Cherry (@MatthewACherry) October 3, 2017
What a collection of photos we’ll have of this presidency by the end of 2017.
Tiffany Kelly is the Unclick editor at Daily Dot. Previously, she worked at Ars Technica and Wired. Her writing has appeared in several other print and online publications, including the Los Angeles Times, Popular Mechanics, and GQ.