- Cara Delevingne calls out Justin Bieber for ‘ranking’ wife Hailey’s friends Friday 9:07 PM
- Fans defend Jenna Marbles after some people claimed she mistreated her dogs in a recent video Friday 8:37 PM
- ‘Friends’ gets reunion special on HBO Max, fans go wild Friday 7:37 PM
- Why you should drop everything and start reading ‘Lore Olympus’ Friday 6:27 PM
- ‘Boogaloo’ memes are trying to organize a second civil war—and they’re spreading fast Friday 3:48 PM
- People are disturbed by these McDonald’s-scented candles Friday 3:47 PM
- Season 2 of ‘The Witcher’ is in production Friday 3:16 PM
- Here are some cringey billboards Bloomberg ran in Arizona Friday 2:51 PM
- PewDiePie returns to YouTube after 37-day hiatus Friday 2:01 PM
- Why was a Republican Party Facebook page co-managed by someone in Turkmenistan? Friday 1:26 PM
- The shorthand guide to ‘Star Wars: The Clone Wars’ Friday 1:07 PM
- Congress urges Tinder to screen for sex offenders Friday 1:03 PM
- Video shows 9-year-old threatening suicide after being bullied Friday 12:01 PM
- Ex-Goldman Sachs CEO says he might vote Trump because Sanders is too mean to him Friday 11:40 AM
- Twitch streamer says she was banned for body painting Friday 11:39 AM
What is art, exactly?
Is it a multi-million dollar abstract expressionist oil painting sitting in a stuffy gallery? A banana duct-taped to a wall? Or is it even a morning show that inexplicably cuts to an image of a cat eating spaghetti during a segment on drinking and driving? An expression of human creativity—art is perhaps best left to the eye of the beholder. Hence, “the poet the poem” meme currently making its way around Twitter.
The setup is fairly simple, even as memes go. A user takes a quote—in either a sincere or (more often) ironic manner—and places it alongside the fictional or real character or artist who said the quote.
In just a few examples of the “the poet, the poem” meme you can see below, this could include Phoebe Waller-Bridge’s character in Fleabag announcing that she wants to “fuck a priest,” Lorde dropping the mic on Diplo, or the colorful delivery of Eric from Sex Education telling another character to wash their hands—among others.
Leave it to Keep It podcast host Ira Madison III to evoke Mary Alice’s blackmail note from the first season of Desperate Housewives for the “the poet, the poem” meme. They were the best of times; they were the most desperate of times.
And what Jersey Shore fan can forget the time Snooki penned a heartfelt note to their housemate Sam—after her paramour and fellow housemate Ronnie was seen making out with two girls, in addition to putting his head between a cocktail waitresses breasts and “grinding with multiple fat women?”
Finally, this prose gets the recognition it so truly deserves!
As does the street skateboarding legend Jamal Smith’s “whack” meme, from a few years ago.
And for those happily single among us, Whoopi Goldberg’s contribution to “the poet, the poem” meme belongs in like, the Louvre or something.
Although in retrospect, some might find that Whoopi’s “GIRL, please stop talking” will go down in history as truly her finest opus. Just consider her the patron saint of “the poet, the poem” meme.
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.