- Why is Reddit allowing a more extreme version of r/The_Donald to be revived? 1 Year Ago
- Redditor wants to know if he’s the a**hole for ghosting pregnant partner Thursday 8:19 PM
- How to go live on TikTok Thursday 8:08 PM
- Joey Salads suggests Democrats carried out Santa Clarita mass shooting Thursday 7:31 PM
- How influencers use TikTok to make money and launch careers Thursday 7:18 PM
- How to stream Argentina vs. Brazil live Thursday 6:51 PM
- How to watch Disney+ on a smart TV Thursday 6:28 PM
- Miss Fame calls out Justin Bieber for low music video appearance pay offer Thursday 6:19 PM
- Trump Jr. ranked No. 1 on best-seller list—after the GOP gave away copies of his book Thursday 5:45 PM
- How to get Disney+ bundle if you already subscribe to Hulu and/or ESPN+ Thursday 5:19 PM
- Mo’Nique suing Netflix for race and gender discrimination Thursday 5:09 PM
- Students outraged that professors accused of sexual misconduct are still teaching Thursday 5:00 PM
- TikTok users jokingly wear big hats to sneak snacks into movie theaters Thursday 3:59 PM
- Why today’s new facially recognition bill is being called ‘woefully’ inadequate Thursday 3:15 PM
- Facebook has given more user data to the government than ever before Thursday 2:57 PM
Remember LimeWire? It was ushered in during the golden age of peer-to-peer file sharing services, aka the year 2000, alongside other piracy sites like Napster and BearShare. And of course, you know The Simpsons, the cartoon that’s going on its 30th season and uncannily predicts real-world events.
Well, for whatever internet-logic reason, a wave of nostalgia is leading to a bunch of new memes that combine LimeWire memories with scenes from The Simpsons. The results make for some pretty niche hilarity.
for some reason my Facebook feed is full of Simpsons/Limewire memes and they're all great pic.twitter.com/rgZq1JLzVX— Elle Hunt (@mlle_elle) October 19, 2018
Using LimeWire was often risky business. Several of the LimeWire-Simpsons memes zero in on this, particularly the malware-laden, program executable (.exe) files poorly disguised as MP3s. Downloading “Numb” by Linkin Park was, somehow, the epitome of a bad LimeWire file experience.
These Limewire memes are excellent pic.twitter.com/CtAyaLj49V— Matt (@_BensonHD_) October 18, 2018
Limewire memes give me life pic.twitter.com/RGDPBQII1V— Conky (@ConkyOCE) October 19, 2018
Why is Limewire this weeks meme? 😂 pic.twitter.com/SKZ631ZQrV— Dodyy (@DodyTheAussie) October 19, 2018
Like most Simpsons memes, all it takes is an iconic scene from the show and a common experience to make an apt meme for this series.
Losing it at limewire memes that, implausibly, I only found out about today pic.twitter.com/KvI0uKDRWV— George Melhuish (@GTMelhuish) October 18, 2018
Loving them and also any simpsons limewire memes flying around pic.twitter.com/UmzGEx8dlj— SPACE ORK (@BobThorniley) October 18, 2018
LimeWire may be long gone now—and the Simpsons might not be around forever (or will it?)—but both will always live in the collective internet’s heart. And regardless, we’ll always have good memes.
- The all-time best ‘The Simpsons’ memes to cure your depression
- These are the best ‘Star Wars’ memes in the galaxy
- The best memes of 2018 (so far)
H/T the Verge
Kris Seavers is the IRL editor for the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.