- How to stream Bears vs. Redskins on Monday Night Football Today 7:00 AM
- What are the best alternatives to the electoral college? Today 6:30 AM
- The best PS4 games you can’t play anywhere else Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 Emmy Awards Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 5 Today 4:00 AM
- Former developer at software company deletes his code to protest its ties to ICE Saturday 4:21 PM
- A mysterious website is doxing Hong Kong protesters and journalists Saturday 1:44 PM
- The best ‘Skyrim’ followers and how to get them Saturday 1:26 PM
- Why Joel Osteen gets cyberbullied every time Houston floods Saturday 12:40 PM
- How to stream Jets vs. Patriots in Week 3 Saturday 12:39 PM
- 10 indie dating simulator games you should be playing Saturday 12:31 PM
- How to stream Packers vs. Broncos in Week 3 Saturday 12:14 PM
- Saudi crown prince’s former adviser suspended from Twitter Saturday 11:57 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Dolphins in Week 3 Saturday 11:57 AM
- YouTuber to pay restitution after a teen fan died copying her video Saturday 10:36 AM
Remember LimeWire? It was ushered in during the golden age of peer-to-peer file sharing services, aka the year 2000, alongside other piracy sites like Napster and BearShare. And of course, you know The Simpsons, the cartoon that’s going on its 30th season and uncannily predicts real-world events.
Well, for whatever internet-logic reason, a wave of nostalgia is leading to a bunch of new memes that combine LimeWire memories with scenes from The Simpsons. The results make for some pretty niche hilarity.
for some reason my Facebook feed is full of Simpsons/Limewire memes and they're all great pic.twitter.com/rgZq1JLzVX— Elle Hunt (@mlle_elle) October 19, 2018
Using LimeWire was often risky business. Several of the LimeWire-Simpsons memes zero in on this, particularly the malware-laden, program executable (.exe) files poorly disguised as MP3s. Downloading “Numb” by Linkin Park was, somehow, the epitome of a bad LimeWire file experience.
These Limewire memes are excellent pic.twitter.com/CtAyaLj49V— Matt (@_BensonHD_) October 18, 2018
Limewire memes give me life pic.twitter.com/RGDPBQII1V— Conky (@ConkyOCE) October 19, 2018
Why is Limewire this weeks meme? 😂 pic.twitter.com/SKZ631ZQrV— Dodyy (@DodyTheAussie) October 19, 2018
Like most Simpsons memes, all it takes is an iconic scene from the show and a common experience to make an apt meme for this series.
Losing it at limewire memes that, implausibly, I only found out about today pic.twitter.com/KvI0uKDRWV— George Melhuish (@GTMelhuish) October 18, 2018
Loving them and also any simpsons limewire memes flying around pic.twitter.com/UmzGEx8dlj— SPACE ORK (@BobThorniley) October 18, 2018
LimeWire may be long gone now—and the Simpsons might not be around forever (or will it?)—but both will always live in the collective internet’s heart. And regardless, we’ll always have good memes.
- The all-time best ‘The Simpsons’ memes to cure your depression
- These are the best ‘Star Wars’ memes in the galaxy
- The best memes of 2018 (so far)
H/T the Verge
Kris Seavers is the IRL editor for the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.