- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Friday 4:14 PM
- Belle Delphine’s Instagram account removed after mass reporting campaign Friday 4:08 PM
- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge Friday 3:19 PM
- Journalists horrified by consolidation of Gatehouse, Gannett Friday 3:12 PM
- Facebook and Google could be tracking you on porn sites Friday 1:42 PM
- 7 best sites for psychic love readings Friday 1:20 PM
- Driver demonstrates why you always need to read road signs Friday 12:58 PM
- Area 51 remix video proves it’s the summer of Lil Nas X Friday 12:26 PM
- ‘ICE will come’: Convenience store clerk threatens customers speaking Spanish Friday 12:11 PM
- Rand Paul dodges questions about 9/11 Victims Fund, says ‘watch Fox News’ Friday 11:51 AM
- Report: ‘Stranger Things’ season 4 to begin shooting in October Friday 11:03 AM
- AT&T paid Michael Cohen to consult on net neutrality, FBI documents show Friday 9:10 AM
- Mysterio’s ruse changes on a second viewing of ‘Far From Home’ Friday 9:06 AM
- Twitter overturns Barrett Brown’s third permanent suspension Friday 8:49 AM
- How to live stream Liga MX Friday 7:56 AM
Watch how high a bowling ball bounces when it’s dropped off a 540-foot dam
Most of what the How Ridiculous YouTube channel has been producing lately involves dropping household items, bowling balls, giant darts, and a 60-pound ice block off the top of a 150-foot tower. All of that is fun and instructive, and it produces tens of millions of pageviews for the Australian YouTubers.
But what would happen if they dropped a bowling ball from a height more than three times as high as that tower? Perhaps more than three times the amount of destruction? Or just a reverberating bounce that can go as high as a house?
In the latest episode of How Ridiculous dropping things from absurdly high places, the crew visits a 540-foot (165-meter) dam in Switzerland. The YouTubers have brought along a bowling ball, baseball, GoPro, and, of course, a trampoline.
The first test of the bowling ball (so they could see where to place the trampoline) absolutely destroyed it when it smashed into the concrete structure of the dam. The second ball got decimated in the exact same way, and it sounded like a gunshot when it exploded.
So, How Ridiculous had to return to the dam on a different day to try again. Here’s what happened then.
Aside from the fun of seeing what kind of impact a 10-pound bowling ball can make upon an innocent trampoline, it’s also visually impressive to watch it fall so far so fast and (eventually) strike the intended target from such a great distance.
Plus, seeing a bowling ball get smashed to bits is exhilarating every time out.
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.