- Viral video shows an egg getting a hot makeover Tuesday 7:56 PM
- New Netflix feature broadcasts what you’re watching via Instagram Tuesday 6:11 PM
- Videos show alleged Covington teens harassing women, making rape jokes at march Tuesday 4:13 PM
- MAGA teen gets ‘Today Show’ interview—and people are pissed Tuesday 3:38 PM
- Family says hacker sent fake North Korean missile warning through Nest camera Tuesday 2:42 PM
- This Arizona bill would tax internet porn to fund a border wall Tuesday 2:41 PM
- This meme is asking people how they draw the letter X Tuesday 1:18 PM
- Charlie Kirk’s love of U.S. healthcare system put to the test after back problems Tuesday 1:12 PM
- Fyre Fest caterer who was left broke has received $160,000 in donations Tuesday 12:58 PM
- The YouTuber who taught a dog to give the Nazi salute on command can’t find a job Tuesday 12:24 PM
- The ‘oh yeah yeah’ meme is flooding YouTube—and KSI can’t deal Tuesday 12:20 PM
- Did this d*ck-drawing Instagram star steal her gag from a rival runner? Tuesday 12:00 PM
- Rep. Steve King, best known for his racism, tweets a fake MLK quote Tuesday 11:54 AM
- Facebook is helping husbands ‘brainwash’ their wives with targeted ads Tuesday 11:35 AM
- Twitch streamer Pink_Sparkles responds to gamers who don’t think she belongs Tuesday 11:29 AM
Store busted for putting googly eyes on old fish to make them look fresher
— Mohamed El Dahshan (@eldahshan) September 1, 2018
It’s unclear if the store was using the plastic eyes only for advertisement purposes, or if people were actually going home with googly-eyed fish.
The story has gone viral in both America and Kuwait, with one company now advertising that they have “Fish without cosmetic surgery”.
شركة أسماك في الكويت تضرب "بوتيكات فاشنيستا السمك" وتعلن عن بيع "سمك بلا عمليات تجميل".. بعد قيام أحد المحال ببيع أسماك بعدسات مزيفة لتبدو طازجة! pic.twitter.com/FjmyG0rLP5
— جريدة بيان الكويتية (@Bayan_kw) September 2, 2018
Twitter found the ruse to be hilarious, and the puns came fast and furious.
lol there's something fishy going on 😂
— deleted. (@YlliKoll) September 2, 2018
They need to scale back a little…
— John Laxa (@damomoo) September 2, 2018
Is this what they mean by bait and switch?
— John Schmitt (@JohnSchmitt18) September 2, 2018
Eye that’s a fishy tail for sure. The net is closing in and the scales of justice will catch up, then they’ll be in deep water over this.. as for this tweet, I can’t fillet with any more puns. 🐠🐟🐬
— george munro (@georgemunro_cam) September 3, 2018
Many people also used to opportunity to share their own googly eye tales.
Ok, this happened THE ONE WEEKEND I decided to put googly eyes on all the things while I traveled for comedy and everyone on FB keeps tagging me. I didn’t googly eye any fish! pic.twitter.com/SoDdtWmsGR
— Charlie Hester (@alittleoffcolor) September 3, 2018
— 🇦🇴 El niño perdido 🇨🇺🇨🇴 (@SleepyRivera) September 1, 2018
Reminds me of this pic.twitter.com/WB4hNXLpDb
— Lil HeftyChonk (@_AnishaD) September 1, 2018
— Vikram Dewan (@vikram_dewan) September 2, 2018
This story serves as a great reminder to all the people out there shopping for fresh fish. Make sure to shake the head a bit before making your final selection. If you hear a soft rattling noise coming from the eyes, it’s probably best to move on to another store.
H/T New York Post
Know your memes. Introducing 2 GIRLS 1 PODCAST:
Alli Goldberg and Jen Jamula (two actors who perform bizarre internet content on stage) have hilarious and humanizing conversations with Bronies, top Reddit mods, professional ticklers, video game archaeologists, dating app engineers, adult babies, cuddling specialists, vampires, Jedi, living dolls, and more.
Here’s an episode you might enjoy:
Or subscribe to 2 GIRLS 1 PODCAST in your favorite podcast app.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.