- Former developer at software company deletes his code to protest its ties to ICE Saturday 4:21 PM
- A mysterious website is doxing Hong Kong protesters and journalists Saturday 1:44 PM
- The best ‘Skyrim’ followers and how to get them Saturday 1:26 PM
- Why Joel Osteen gets cyberbullied every time Houston floods Saturday 12:40 PM
- How to stream Jets vs. Patriots in Week 3 Saturday 12:39 PM
- 10 indie dating simulator games you should be playing Saturday 12:31 PM
- How to stream Packers vs. Broncos in Week 3 Saturday 12:14 PM
- Saudi crown prince’s former adviser suspended from Twitter Saturday 11:57 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Dolphins in Week 3 Saturday 11:57 AM
- YouTuber to pay restitution after a teen fan died copying her video Saturday 10:36 AM
- Antonio Brown sent ‘intimidating’ texts to an accuser, including a pic of her children Saturday 9:38 AM
- Facebook suspended tens of thousands of apps after Cambridge Analytica scandal Saturday 8:24 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Rams on Sunday Night Football Saturday 6:00 AM
- How to watch ‘NFL Primetime’ on ESPN+ Saturday 5:00 AM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Chelsea Friday 6:45 PM
Eminem memes are having a big week. The surprise release of the 10th studio album from the iconic rapper dropped on Aug. 31 with essentially no warning. The 13-track album tears into Eminem’s rivals, critics, and the political powers that be. The album’s release was quickly followed by responses from many of those he called out, and those were followed by weird, funny, and hyper-specific memes.
The memes themselves come from all angles and are both pro- and anti- Eminem.
That’s because Eminem quickly became the subject of conversations all over the internet, primarily because of the fights he revived or, in some cases, started. This is not the first time Eminem has started a fight with his lyrics, but he may have set a record for the most people insulted in a singular album. As Twitter user Devon Martinez flagged, Eminem went after the president, vice president, Drake, Tyler the Creator, Joe Budden, and many more pop culture institutions.
Eminem dissed:— Devo (@DevonMartinez) August 31, 2018
The industrial revolution
The cast of Friends
My co worker Vikki
Mrs Puff from Spongebob
Some memes make fun of Eminem fans for being angry young men on the internet.
Some seem to be made by angry young men on the internet.
Some make fun of Eminem for being old.
Others point out that some of Eminem’s targets don’t seem super frayed by the disses. Really, they go in every direction:
Listening to Eminem’s new album like pic.twitter.com/OJp8Z6brkO— astrosmemes (@astros_memes) August 31, 2018
Eminem called out South African rap duo Die Antwoord in the song “Greatest,” to which the two responded with a video of their own this week.
“You used to rap better on drugs,” Ninja says, to laughter from partner Yolandi Visser. Despite some obvious ire, the duo seemed far less upset than many of their peers. From Machine Gun Kelly‘s almost immediate video response to Lil Pump’s much more easygoing reply, many of those Eminem took shots at in the album have already pushed back.
Lil Pump responds to Eminem pic.twitter.com/zxyZ45cese— HIP HOP FACTS (@DailyRapFacts) September 1, 2018
Eminem has found his way back to the top, and it is through harsh disses and eloquent rhymes. So, the same way he made it to the top in the first place. But 18 years later, his targets pushed back in real time.
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.