- These high school theater kids put on a totally awesome ‘Alien’ play 5 Months Ago
- Behold these photos of Elon Musk, but with Elizabeth Holmes’ eyes Today 3:11 PM
- Barbra Streisand gets canceled over remarks about Michael Jackson’s alleged victims Today 2:09 PM
- Report: Florida man raped Texas teen after posing as Instagram celeb Today 12:14 PM
- Lori Loughlin’s daughters, Olivia and Isabella, could be banned from USC forever Today 11:46 AM
- ‘Starfish’ is a heartbreaking tale of BFFs, grief, and apocalyptic alien invasions Today 10:35 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 148 for free Today 10:00 AM
- The kids are making scantron memes instead of studying Today 9:29 AM
- Every installment of Hulu’s ‘Into the Dark,’ ranked Today 6:00 AM
- The internet is mocking Robert Mueller’s report deadline Friday 7:53 PM
- Instagram blocks some anti-vax hashtags—but still has far to go Friday 6:20 PM
- Study: Netflix released more originals than licensed titles last year Friday 2:26 PM
- Laura Ingraham, Dinesh D’Souza slam journalist for having a job Friday 1:40 PM
- Netflix is testing a cheap-as-hell mobile-only plan Friday 1:08 PM
- Astrology app Co-Star’s bizarre push notifications are now a meme Friday 12:18 PM
After Reddit user minarosli took a snapshot of her brown husky at the dog park and posted it on Reddit on Monday, the photo was hailed as the official dog version of the distracted boyfriend meme.
“I took a candid pic of my dog at the park and it’s basically the dog version of this meme,” the user wrote on the post, which at the time of writing has more than 36,000 upvotes.
The original distracted boyfriend meme—honored as the Daily Dot’s meme of the year in 2017—is a stock photo of a man staring at a woman walking past him, while another woman (who we assume to be his girlfriend) gives him a dirty look.
The meme has been regenerated in all kinds of imaginative forms, and its exact structure was even spotted in a Charlie Chaplin clip.
I can't believe Charlie Chaplin invented the distracted boyfriend meme about 100 years ago pic.twitter.com/a19iGlAUB2
— Miléna (@milenazsofia) October 16, 2018
It’s been reenacted in real life.
Wtf? Are you serious?!
It was so much fun taking that picture and hard not to laugh. 😂 Distracted boyfriend meme is back!
— Brina | 🦁🍷 (@Dray__) October 16, 2018
And it’s so popular that people are dressing up as the meme for Halloween.
— Sophia Kunthara (@SophiaKunthara) October 19, 2018
When the newest dog version was posted to Reddit, people took to it immediately, with many interjecting their own captions.
Commenters were impressed with how closely the photo resembled the meme. As several pointed out, it even managed to capture the blur depicted in the original image.
The comments also got weird as some people called the brown husky as a “pedophile” for going after the small black Chihuahua.
People were quick to point out how a dog’s size has nothing to do with its age. The original poster had to explain that the brown husky is actually younger than the Chihuahua.
The popularity of the post proves an absolute truth: The only thing the internet loves more than memes and dogs is dog versions of memes.
Sunny Kim studies journalism at the University of Texas at Austin. She's an editorial intern with the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in the Daily Texan and Popular Mechanics.