Everyone’s obsessed with this video of a deer nailing the drums in Phil Collins’ ‘In the Air Tonight’
- How tall is Michael Bloomberg? 1 Year Ago
- The ’24 hours to respond’ meme holds celebrities to a higher standard Monday 8:46 PM
- Twitter users miss the kids who walked in on their dad’s interview Monday 8:40 PM
- ‘The Thing About Men’ Twitter hashtag is full of sarcasm and misogyny Monday 7:27 PM
- This woman said Hillary Clinton losing the 2016 election gave her PTSD, and people are furious Monday 6:45 PM
- Vanessa Bryant files a lawsuit against helicopter company after deaths of Kobe and Gianna Monday 5:49 PM
- Michael Jordan cries at Kobe Bryant memorial, jokes about creating a new meme Monday 4:43 PM
- Woman’s boyfriend says it’s him or the frogs—Reddit says choose the frogs Monday 4:22 PM
- Greyhound buses will no longer allow Border Patrol checks Monday 4:04 PM
- ‘Eat Them To Defeat Them’ is oddly about vegetables—not about eating the rich Monday 3:26 PM
- Marco Rubio mocked for filming talking while driving socialism critique Monday 2:54 PM
- QAnon believer asks Trump’s campaign press secretary who Q is Monday 2:36 PM
- Octavia Spencer has discovered ‘Ma’ memes—and she can’t get enough Monday 2:09 PM
- Meet the anti-Greta Thunberg, a climate ‘skeptic’ funded by the oil industry Monday 1:12 PM
- Harvey Weinstein convicted of rape and sexual assault Monday 12:56 PM
Every now and then comes along a brief moment of pure, wholesome, unadulterated internet joy that makes us forget that we’re living in the barren hellscape that is 2018. This week, that joy comes in the form of a deer accidentally recreating the ubiquitous drum solo in the 1981 Phil Collins hit “In the Air Tonight” by stumbling over the slide on a children’s play set.
The video, titled “in the deer 2nite,” was uploaded by YouTuber Josh Ballico on Monday, and quickly went on to become a viral sensation.
It’s unclear whether or not Ballico took the original video, or why the person just happened to be filming a random deer when it tripped, or even why the deer decided to go over the playset instead of just walking around it. There are so many questions!
On the other hand, maybe we should just let the mystery be and just enjoy 18 perfect, amazing seconds along with the rest of the internet—as the video eventually made its way to Twitter and people frigging love it.
This is the greatest thing I've ever seen pic.twitter.com/D9DxwQhvzG— Stan Lewis (@StanLewis_) October 1, 2018
I wasn’t ready to laugh this hard pic.twitter.com/OZWaV6e8hP— dylan (@dyllyp) October 3, 2018
This deer's been working hard on the drum bit from Phil Collins' In The Air Tonight. Well done son. pic.twitter.com/I3tPifwiwK— Matt Deegan (@matt) October 3, 2018
Even Valerie Bertinelli is extremely here for Phil Collins Deer Twitter:
Oh deer 😂🦌🥁 https://t.co/GWKTpXlnys— Valerie Bertinelli (@Wolfiesmom) October 3, 2018
Doing some light poking around, Ballico’s YouTube account also uncovered the following gem uploaded four months ago, perfectly named “House of Drain, ‘Tap Around'” in reference to the 1992 House of Pain song “Jump Around.”
Especially when you factor in the absence of Vine, the world clearly needs more of these type of short videos, even if we have to wait another four months.
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.