- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Friday 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Friday 3:28 PM
- Blue Bell ice cream licker pleads guilty Friday 2:54 PM
- 7 fortune-telling sites for when you’re bored Friday 2:21 PM
- Governor bans sex puns on free condom wrappers Friday 2:16 PM
- Is Justin Bieber’s ‘Yummy’ video secretly about Pizzagate? Friday 1:01 PM
- Woah Vicky rips out her hair in botched cultural appropriation attempt Friday 12:30 PM
- Here’s an exclusive look at ‘Weathering With You’ Friday 11:57 AM
- TikTok dudes are dipping their balls in soy sauce for ‘science’ Friday 11:49 AM
- Pete Buttigieg’s denial of fixing bread prices becomes its own meme Friday 11:10 AM
- Houston Astros get torched with buzzer memes after new revelation Friday 10:41 AM
- Teens are eating cereal out of each other’s mouths for clout Friday 10:34 AM
In a wonderful turn of events, Chris Evans has seen the Black Twitter memes about him—and he loves them!
This gave me a genuine belly laugh. https://t.co/BOmC7JUUdV— Chris Evans (@ChrisEvans) June 3, 2019
The tweet Evans acknowledged was a video combining all the memes which had been made about him in recent weeks, set to “Act Up” by City Girls.
The original meme, which appears to have existed for a few weeks, began to spread rapidly after Evans appeared on a show and stated he was unfamiliar with “Black Twitter.” A user then called him out on his statement, attaching various photoshopped images of the movie star wearing items commonly associated with African American culture.
Shortly after, everyone on the internet began to follow suit and made memes out of some of the actor’s Avengers co-stars.
"Ya'll thought!" pic.twitter.com/G9WDU2XBEe— Him: How You Doing? Me: OPotassium (@_VirgoRoyalty) June 1, 2019
Congratulations, Chris, you now join a long list of actors turned into memes by Black Twitter. You can now wear your Twitter verification badge with honor.
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Dominic-Madori Davis is a recent graduate of the University of Southern California. She covers the internet, politics, and social issues.